Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

My LR4 has a dipstick - me! (Oil issue...)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sub

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
My LR4 has a dipstick - me! (Oil issue...)

Hi All,

Weird one - was driving along and the car pinged up a red alert because of the oil being too low - weird, but then it's been a bit weird for a short while. Whenever I've checked the oil level via the service menu, the last few times I've checked it's reported itself as overfull. I just put this down to being on a slight gradient or some such.

Anyway, back to the red light. When I stopped I checked the oil level, and lo and behold, it was indeed low. I left it a good hour and checked again, still low. At this point I put in some oil, thinking it was critically low. I popped in 4L.

The oil light cleared, and we set off. However, once on the motorway, another red alert and the car entered 'restricted power mode'. It got us home fine, dropped off the family, restarted the engine and the light disappeared. Took it for a spin, decided to put my foot down, with the result being lots of clanging and clouds of smoke from the exhaust.

Think my best bet is to book it in for a full oil change & service - but how bad is the situation? Can I drive it at normal speeds until I can get it booked in? Any other advice or guidance? Any ideas what might have happened to the oil level management system?

Irritated all this could have been avoided if only they'd given us a dipstick!

EDIT: Just to add IID tool is showing as 5.6L calculated oil in the engine. Somethings very wrong somewhere....

EDIT2: Left it to stand for 10 minutes, oil check in 'Service Mode' is showing the oil level as OK now.

Post #23138536th Nov 2022 4:18 pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 

My advice would be not to drive it and even get taken by yellow taxi to the garage. You don't want to risk damaging the engine!!

Post #23139297th Nov 2022 5:56 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I’d drain it and start from scratch so you know what’s in it.

Also, I noticed on my new Defender that it has a dipstick. Perhaps they’ve learned a lesson.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #23139377th Nov 2022 7:42 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The issue will be putting 4l in will have well overfilled it as it only holds 5.9 with a filter change ,and those engines dont like being overfilled . Potentially some serious damage may already have occurred im afraid including the DPF . The guage on the screen takes about a litre from showing empty to full. All it warns you is overfull and wont go above the top of the scale so you cannot quantify the overfill but potentially you are over 50% over the top. To be fair to the IID it will only show you the same amount as the vehicle screen is as it gets its info from the same sensor. Have you checked the fault codes since it had a meltdown as that will give you some idea of the damage done.
MY best advice is 'DONT' drive it until you know the oil level is correct even if that means getting the oil sucked out and refilled with the correct amount.

Post #23139387th Nov 2022 7:58 am
autobiorob

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

When filling up with oil I have always put a bit in at a time (say 250ml) and then rechecked. Might take a while but worth it

Post #23139397th Nov 2022 8:20 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I'd suggest using a siphon pump and take 2 litres out.
Then see, after letting it settle again, where it sits on the gauge.
If you've already done some damage - which isn't a given - you're not, IMHO, going to make it worse if you get the level in the right range and drive carefully to a garage. Eliminating need for big yellow taxi may save time, money AND give a better choice of garages.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #23139417th Nov 2022 8:48 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Moo wrote:
I’d drain it and start from scratch so you know what’s in it.

Also, I noticed on my new Defender that it has a dipstick. Perhaps they’ve learned a lesson.

both my d3 and d4 i always measure the oil that goes in and comes out to keep an eye on usage the d3 i use the dipstick every week to check but the d4 i prob used the on dash read out 5 times in the 3 yrs of ownership

both use about 200ml-300ml each change the d3 is about 150000mls the d4 is about 69000mls[/u]
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #23139487th Nov 2022 9:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >