Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

LR4 HDC /ABS/EBA etc warning lights solved?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sceh

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4
LR4 HDC /ABS/EBA etc warning lights solved?

You may have seen some of my posts about the million warning lights I was getting, lowered suspension, and every other message you can think of. I took it to the local LR dealer and might as well have asked my cat (which is dead btw) because I would have had more sense and a more intelligent approach. All they did was read the codes and I can assure you their system is no better than IID and gives a printout which is almost identical. I found no logical approach such as checking for corrosion first, checking for bad connections, checking for CAN integrity and then looking at codes. Instead they showed me their printout..
I told them the sort of things that happened and stressed one occasion when I hit a pothole too fast and this set off the christmas tree. You would have though that this alone would have triggered a thought that perhaps there was a dicky connection - but no. Clueless and relying on a tool which is not fit for purpose.
So, all the warnings started and related to the BOSCH ABS system which has these sensors:

A DSC switch.
An HDC switch.
An HDC relay.
A stoplamp switch.
Four wheel speed sensors.
A yaw rate and lateral acceleration sensor.
A steering angle sensor.
Warning indicators; four on vehicles with a high line instrument cluster and five on vehicles with a low line
instrument cluster.
A hydraulic control unit (HCU) with attached ABS module.

Any one of these leads to other warnings but the root is the ABS system.
So, here's the issue I have. Why can't their car software issue a warning light or code which says simply 'yaw rate sensor input out of range' for example??
Why not, because LR is a slave to ODB and tits engineers and designers are not very good and don't think.
Why can't it say 'stoplamp' switch not working' for example?
The problem is that the top level design of the car software is crap. Simple.
So, I think I found the answer to my problem. I noticed after checking EACH of these sensors, that the steering wheel one had odd readings. I reseated the connector and bingo - so far it works perfectly. The clue, which LR ignored, was the sudden onset after a hard shock - which points to a connection problem.
The other problem that is caused by the lousy software design is that even if the DSC switch is duff or the yaw rate is duff or any of them are duff, they should not cascade to give 'gearbox fault', fuel low, suspension changing height, speedo and revs don't work etc etc. This is just lousy and stupid software design by LR.

For example, if the stop lamp switch is faulty, the right things to do is display a message saying so since the HDC system automatically lights the brake lights when it needs to. If it didn't and assuming this was in a place where HDC is needed and not at speed on the highway (yes it works..), it is not the end of the world and the right message would be 'stoplights don't work in HDC mode' NOT 'HDC UNAVAILABLE'!! This is just ONE example of thoughtlessness by the software designers which then leads to a cascade of errors which ultimately will stop the car and make diagnosis impossible.

They did tell me the new cars a much better because the CAN bus is much faster. A load of bull - the base software and ODB systems are the same and designed by the same people.
Apparently some people are thinking of buying a Defender which has 85 onboard ECUs. What could possibly go wrong?

So, moral, IID is as good as LR stuff and they both require thinking outside the box to get results. It took me months. The higher level software of Landrovers is a disgrace and once I sell this car I will never, ever have another LR but will buy a car which is better off-road, can drive in snow and mud and slippery grass and can't be less reliable - a TESLA!

Post #228850519th Apr 2022 6:52 am
jamesSE4x4R

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I have almost the same issue, I’m three weeks into diagnosis, where is this magical connection please!
 www.southeast4x4response.org.uk Responder of 9 years service SE140
Ex defender 50th owner, GB165
2010 MY XS -sold
2014 MY HSE Lux curent
2017 MY Disco Sport (wife's)
" if it fly's, floats, is fast or fornicates you can't afford it my boy" RIP Gramps 2009 

Post #230144725th Jul 2022 6:52 pm
Disco_driver

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Re: LR4 HDC /ABS/EBA etc warning lights solved?

sceh wrote:
might as well have asked my cat (which is dead btw)

That did make me chuckle!!

I know the feeling though

Joe

Post #230145425th Jul 2022 7:14 pm
jamesSE4x4R

I don’t know if it’s related but I had the steering column linkage replaced six months ago, I’ve just had the instrument cluster out at it was faulting and several of the pins on the connector were fractured but given the original on off nature of this fault I suspect it’s a loose connector…
2010 MY XS -sold
2014 MY HSE Lux curent
" if it fly's, floats, is fast or fornicates you can't afford it my boy" RIP Gramps 2009 

Post #230146725th Jul 2022 8:22 pm
Sylvester19

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Possibly the steering angle sensor connection?

Post #230147825th Jul 2022 9:09 pm
jamesSE4x4R

Possibly, how on Earth do I get to it though?
2010 MY XS -sold
2014 MY HSE Lux curent

Post #230147925th Jul 2022 9:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >