Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

LRSA approved front underbody protection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
LRSA approved front underbody protection

Just had Tino (082 893 1736) fit this front protector plate.
You can buy it from your local dealer or Tino (latter is cheaper) took 15 minutes to fit

I was a bit concerned that the intercooler wouldn't get enough airflow, but LR assured me that this is not the case. Will monitor the situation and report back. Anyone else got this plate?

Post #16107524th May 2007 10:42 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I will fit one when going off-road - all the plastic in front makes me nervous !

Handy to attach seed net when travelling Kaokoland or similar - me thinks

Post #16110424th May 2007 12:00 pm
Baben

Hi Deon

Yes, as a matter of fact I am going to test the seednet on it right now. May need to drill some holes or attach some eye bolts, will see how it goes.

Cost just over R5k by the way

Post #16112824th May 2007 12:46 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Very nice looking . I assume the loop visible in the middle hole is the standard towing hitch . Are you going to use this as a recovery point or do you something else in mind ?

Post #16117024th May 2007 2:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

that is the standard point and its apparently good enough and then some

Post #16124024th May 2007 5:18 pm
heine

Great - one less thing to do

Post #16130024th May 2007 8:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

I added some holes anyway. After towing last weekend I thought the intercooler wasn't getting much air at all. I removed the plate to get a closer look and confirmed that there would be no possibility of airflow to the intercooler with that solid plate on.
Whatcha think?

It's pretty similar to the mantec version except the mantec holes are square.
I looked as hard as I could in my workshop, but I don't know what I did with that square hole-saw Whistle so I just cut round holes instead.

Post #20921428th Sep 2007 8:32 am
heine

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up When can I bring mine around Whistle

Post #20921628th Sep 2007 8:37 am
Spanish Fly

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I fitted this LR front guard along with full ASFIR underbody protection. Recently I have noticed the car to be struggling to pass 160km/h when usually I could hit 190+. Thinking about what you guys mention about the intercooler and it being 30C+ here, do you think the lack of airflow is causing the power loss? I thought it was due to the spare wheel I fitted to the roofrack around the same time as fitting the sumpguards. Crying or Very sad

Post #20925428th Sep 2007 9:58 am
Baben

If you remove the plate and have a look at the channel that directs air into the intercooler, you will see that it is pretty much sealed against the back of the protector plate and I can't figure out how any air could move thru there except maybe from the left and right sides.

I haven't had a good look at what is behind the intercooler though. Maybe your underbody protection actually closes off an exit too?

FYI Spanish Fly - I could do 160km/h uphill while towing my 1200kg trailer, with ambient temperature of +36'c even before I cut the holes in the protector plate. Maybe you need to be TorqTuned, mate Thumbs Up

Heine: I can provide you with the measurements if you like. All you need is a 44mm HSS hole saw, and a very powerful drill press. You need to run very slowly otherwise the ally clogs the teeth of the hole saw.
It took me about 30 minutes to do the drilling, and an hour to work out the measurements and drill the pilot holes.

Glad you like it Very Happy

Post #20928728th Sep 2007 12:16 pm
Spanish Fly

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Baben, I would love to TorqTune the D3 but I am in Southern Spain. The only person who can tune it here is an English mechanic with the Auto Logic system. Apparently this is the one to go with.
The car only has 1100km on the clock so I was thinking of waiting a while to run it in. Still doesn't feel as quick as the first week I bought it so I think I will get the hole cutter out this weekend Smile

Post #20939728th Sep 2007 5:02 pm
heine

Baben wrote:

Heine: I can provide you with the measurements if you like. All you need is a 44mm HSS hole saw, and a very powerful drill press. You need to run very slowly otherwise the ally clogs the teeth of the hole saw.
It took me about 30 minutes to do the drilling, and an hour to work out the measurements and drill the pilot holes.

Glad you like it Very Happy

Yessum please Bow down

Post #20941628th Sep 2007 5:46 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

FYI

That is the winch version
Click image to enlarge
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #20944028th Sep 2007 6:43 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Spanish Fly wrote:
Baben, I would love to TorqTune the D3
I'm in Spain twice in October Wink other than that, the 'self tune' kit is still work in progress - hopefully to be released soon once the software issues have been sorted and the system has proved to be stable and reliable  
Post #20946928th Sep 2007 7:49 pm
Baben

Heine

Re the "Baben Conversion" for the front plate -

There was no great scientific measurement that went into this, apart from wanting the plate to still look OK.
I was mostly trying to make the measurements whole numbers so as to make it easier to mark and drill and hence less likely to cock it up.
I wanted to retain as much strength as possible even though it would be unlikely to hit anything solid at that height (he says Smile ).
I wanted to retain the LR logo, plus in the centre, there is a little bit of space above the recovery point where there will be a bit of airflow, so it was unneccessary to go too far into the middle.
You could go with a bigger saw, maybe 50mm, bit I didn't have one on hand, and with the 44mm holes it lines up nicely with the "lips" of the air channel thingy that routes the air to the intercooler anyway, so I don't think you would get much more benefit from going bigger, plus your "lips" would be visible, which as you know is quite rude unless you're a girl in a specific profession Laughing

If you are using a 44mm tool, your centre line will be 22mm down from the crease at the top of the plate.

For each side, if you want to retain the LR logo you have 295mm of width available. I started at the outside edge, and the first centre was at 32mm, then in increments of 54mm, so you end up with 5 holes spaced with the following increments measured from the outside edge of the plate:

32 86 140 194 248

This gives you 10mm spacing between the holes, and a 25mm space in the centre as per the pics.

Put the plate in your vice with soft felt or cloth on the jaws (or even some soft wood) so as not to spoil the finish on the ally.
Drill the pilot holes with a smallish bit, maybe 4-5mm to ensure you get it exact otherwise you are looking for a new plate. Go very slowly with the hole saw, otherwise it just clogs and will ruin the saw and the plate. It doesn't matter if you can't set the plate up to go thru at 90degrees, just as long as you can ensure that the angle for all the holes is the same.

If you need help just shout. You need a big powerful drill capable of slow revs, a decent HSS hole saw, a big powerful vice with big jaws, and a bit of patience. Alternatively a friend with a milling machine would be best. Thumbs Up

Post #2100691st Oct 2007 7:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >