Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Maindealers - Is it a Warranty claim or chargable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ultimajk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Maindealers - Is it a Warranty claim or chargable?

Hi Everyone, my D3 is in for a couple of bits doing under warranty.
I want everyones opinion if you think the work should be covered under warranty.

Firstly, its farting. I have seen the articles about the aircon farting issues and I believe this to be a warranty repair. The garage is saying if they dont find anything physically broken its a chargable fee!

Secondly. My fuel ecomomy had dropped really low 18-20 on the motorway. They have checked the car and said the ECU needed a firmware update. Once they did the update the economy went upto 25+ mpg

What do you think should I be paying or are they trying it on?

Cheers

John

Post #32032310th Jul 2008 12:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

There is a service bulletin to cure the aircon 'farting'. I personally would not bother, as I think it involves a complete dashboard removal, and there is more chance of other problems been caused in fixing a minor irritation. Mine creaks (farts) whenever I switch the car on, but It has never really bothered me.

As for the update, I would not wanting to be charged if still in warranty.

Post #32032610th Jul 2008 12:15 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As Gareth says, there is a service bulletin to fix this - it's a problem with the actuator for the air recirculation....I think it falls under 'In case of customer complaint' and it affects VIN numbers in the range 000256 to 450440. Don't know the actual bulletin number though. Embarassed

The actuating lever in this VIN range had a plastic pin on the end of a plastic lever.... The original grease loses it's properties over time and causes the two plastic bits to rub and cause the noise...leave it too long and the pin will deteriorate..

Depending on if the pin is fooked or not, the dealer is able to disassemble the upper/lower gloveboxe(s) and regrease the pin it with the correct grease. If it is already worn, then they have to replace the motor with a new one (the new one has a metal pin to avoid this problem).

As mentioned, fitting a new one is a full dash-out job Shocked Either way...if you can confirm your VIN number and get the dealer to confirm that the TSB exists, then any repairs must be covered under warranty - it's a known factory defect.

As far as the ECU goes, it is a non-wearing part.....that means that you couldn't have possibly caused it to 'need' an update (in the sense that you can cause the D3 to 'need' new brake pads).

The only way that they can tell that it needs an update is if LR are telling them that new firmware has been released to cover your VIN in order to correct known problems. Again...if it's in warranty, there's no way you should have to pay for this as you couldn't have caused to ECU to need updating.

I'm also confused about how they know it needs an update....if they'd plugged it into IDS, then the system would have pushed the updates into the ECU (probably without giving them much choice about it).

Something doesn't sound right here....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Last edited by PaulP on 10th Jul 2008 2:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #32038910th Jul 2008 2:26 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I wouldn't pay for either. WTY job definately. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #32039110th Jul 2008 2:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
8754WX

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

if they plug the veh into IDS it does not automatically push an update into the system Exclamation

Post #32348418th Jul 2008 4:40 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

pay for neither

Post #32348718th Jul 2008 5:03 pm
ultimajk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hi everyone, thought i would update you on the outcome of the warranty claims, firstly I ended up paying nothing for both issues.

The interesting thing is though what ever they did do to the ECU, it worked!!!

Until now I have never had more than 22-25mpg. In all the time I have had it I have NEVER seen it say 30mpg. Since getting the car back I am getting 30+ Shocked to the gallon.

I dont know what they have done but it certainly seems to have made a big difference. All the garage could say is it was firmware????

Has anyone else had such a dramatic improvement before?

Cheers

John

Post #32635628th Jul 2008 12:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >