DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Matured & taken the brave step...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mikedaveross

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Matured & taken the brave step...

Hi.

Lets blame it on the pandemic, turning 40, buying my daughter a pony, bordom?

A culmination of the above events means I have taken the brave (stupid?) step of impulse buying a Land Rover.

Now, I am no stranger to working on cars/bikes, in fact, I love it (when it goes right) Don't we all? (I'm guessing so if you're on this forum, as no-one would buy one for the labour repair bills)

Anyway, I'll get to my point...

I'm very happy with my purchase so far. The car seems a very clean low mileage example, as much as I'm trying to find fault with it.

The seller was honest enough, telling me straight up there was a failed electric door mech (purchased & busy replacing) & the dreaded parking brake not working!

I am also no stranger to forums, spending far too much time 20 years ago on one owning a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

So after doing alot of research the last week, I ask of you your humble expertise...

My exact issue is parking brake not operating. Orange permanantly light on. No warnings on dash.

I've done a lot of searching on the topic, & gone from low brake fluid, to gear select, to EBR unit, to fuse, to switch...

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this? I couldnt post in the faults/fixes.

So a big welcome to me, to this forum. I'm sure this will not be my last post...

Post #22500777th Sep 2021 6:04 am
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

My sincere condolences on the purchase of your D3 and welcome to the madhouse.

One of the marvels of these vehicles is the comprehensive internal diagnostics. I'd suggest your first port of call is someone with a device capable of reading any current error codes from the various modules, and then gearing up to purchase one of the aforementioned devices.

There are a few that will do the job, and I'm sure people will be along shortly to give you their recommendations. Personally I have a Gap IID Bluetooth which has saved me thousands of $$ over the last 4 years in allowing both self diagnostics and therefore a targeted approach to troubleshooting vs firing the parts canon.

Once you know exactly what fault is turning the little light on, it's a lot easier to squash.

Post #22500797th Sep 2021 6:15 am
mikedaveross

Good morning! (or evening to you) & thank you for your kind words of sympathy...

I'm already on it. Done some research into that & purchased one.

Love the firing the parts canon analagy! That is exactly how it feels sometimes!

Over many years we can all laugh at the times we've been sure it's this or that & purchased the most expensive item that we're sure has failed, only to find it was the cheapest most simple one! Spark plugs & loose wheel nuts come to mind for me. Oh how I can laugh....now.

I dream of it being a code reset, I really do...

Post #22500807th Sep 2021 6:26 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Welcome mikedaveross.

It isn't always a major failure when something goes wrong, the challenge can often be finding it, and interpreting the dtc's to that end.

If you have purchased a decent diagnostic tool (GAP IID et al) it will point the way. If it's an amber fault lamp you're not in too much trouble, but when it goes red that's when fun starts.
So it may be just a faulty hand brake switch, or another system altogether which is connected to the hand brake operation.

At least you won't have too many engine woes as you might if you had bought a diesel. So I'll refrain from posting sympathies but do pass on my condolences to your wallet. Laughing
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22501297th Sep 2021 2:13 pm
mikedaveross

Brilliant! Laughing

Yeah, luckily its not a daily driver!

I'm glad I managed to snap up a 4.4 V8 petrol, as I've not heard such good things about the diesel...

I gathered red bad, orange not too bad, hence why I bought the vehicle.

Really hoping it is the switch now. But would that stop it from applying automatically?

Door lock changed!

Post #22501367th Sep 2021 3:03 pm
PROFSR G

It depends on the fault but you'd be lucky if it was just the switch, that said I have seen it more than a few times. It can also be the brake light switch which is a much more common failure.
(Tip) Buy one and keep it in the glove box (genuine LR!)

You'll thank me someday...... soon! Laughing

Did you say you bought a diagnostic tool? If so which one?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22501377th Sep 2021 3:12 pm
mikedaveross

Ahh, top tip! Just done a little reading into it...

Is it sad that I get excited about replaceing the most mundane parts for new?!?

I've bought a basic code reader/eraser. I may go bigger later...

Post #22501427th Sep 2021 3:25 pm
PROFSR G

mikedaveross wrote:
Is it sad that I get excited about replacing the most mundane parts for new?!?

I wouldn't worry about it, the excitement will be short lived if the parts list starts to grow. Laughing

Just enjoy it for now. Thumbs Up

Over time you can go through everything serviceable to bring it up to a standard.
ie, All fluids/oils/filters, brakes/lines, h/brake, suspension bushes, rust/corrosion, compressor dryer, etc, etc. If it came with any receipts for maintenance this can be helpful here!!

As with any vehicle, preventative maintenance is a really good approach especially as they get on in years.
This is especially so for the D3/4, so a contingency fund is a good idea. A few bob stashed away monthly will take the pain should you have the need for it. Also, find yourself a reputable LR indy, not just any garage!!

Ask on here and the lad's will be able to recommend one for you Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22501487th Sep 2021 4:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >