Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Maxtrax
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Before buying stop and think, where are you going, what sort of group size are you going in?

How well equip is vehicle? Experience of driver

When conditions change stop and assess the new conditions.

Easily driveable just drive.

More difficult what are your possible escape route? A tug from vehicle behind?

Airing down when you have a good compressor can help.

Long reach shovel to clear sand from under vehicle if beached.

Rear winch is extremely useful when travelling as a solo vehicle. Thumbs Up

If terrain is likely to be extremely difficult find a different route.

What is also required is a bucket.

That is a bucket load of COMMON SENSE, however that is not so common.

Brendan

Post #214061423rd Apr 2020 11:51 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’d suggest a hand operated winch, ground anchor and tree stops, in addition to the normal ropes/straps and bow shackles etc. Then you can use it for front or rear recoveries and store it all out of the way when you don’t need it. Or borrow one, which is what I’ve done.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #214062323rd Apr 2020 12:43 pm
greg00

Switzerland 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

@LT: I thought about an hand operated winch. For Morocco it‘s useless but the Pyrenees it‘s worth considering.

@Brendan: Thanks for your advise. I‘ve been to remote trips in Corsica, Croatia, Greece and Albania (which I can recommend). Never needed recovery tracks since airing down the KO2 AT tires was good enough. Please don‘t give me generic advice. I‘m looking for advice from people who have been to these location before since I don‘t know them. I explained our style of travel in the first post which answers most of your questions. Please consider that our primary goal is to travel, not 4x4 motorsport Wink

Post #214068823rd Apr 2020 4:30 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

@ Greg00: Well I have driven our Land Rovers in over 30 different countries normally as a solo vehicle. This has included driving across the Simpson desert in Australia (had to bury the spare wheel), have backed of snow covered tracks in the Pyrenees, beached in Morocco, refused to do a ford crossing in Poland due to flow rate and closeness of a weir, Romania deployed winch as a precaution on mountain track, ignore sat nav in Spain when road between buildings was narrower than my vehicle.

Not generic advice, but based on practical experience. As solo vehicle often as solo person have learnt to carefully assess situation and if need be find different routes. Travel as a group it is not so bad if you get stuck as have mutual assistance readily available.

Have not carried maxtraks or waffle boards on my trips. Have seen too many vehicles with too much gear on.....

As for that bucket???

Brendan

Brendan

Post #214074223rd Apr 2020 5:43 pm
greg00

I understand your point but let‘s get back to topic. I didn‘t want to start a discussion about overlanding in general. Please don’t misunderstand me, I would love to discuss with you about your experience and stories. Here I narrowed it down to specific locations to get more information about the terrain. We prefer to bring fun stuff like surf board, snorkel gear, bikes if possible ect than expedition tools and gear like solar panel, fridge, warm shower, tons of lights, heavy tools ect because space is a premium. As for the recovery tracks, there‘s never a clear yes or no answer for their need. But to know which route is going to get you into trouble is a good start and it‘s good to know that you managed to travel without them and relied on common sense and experience. That‘s the same route I‘m trying to get - to be prepared but not overloaded or overweight Wink Rolling with laughter

As for the bucket I guess we reached the language barrier because I have no idea what you mean Question

Post #214080223rd Apr 2020 8:22 pm
greg00

Ok, after doing some linguistic research I noticed, that the English language loves their buckets.
It goes from kick the bucket, drop in the bucket, raining buckets, carrying the bucket to bucket list.
Laughing

Post #214095024th Apr 2020 10:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >