DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Meet Vinnie.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 14 123 ... 121314>
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Meet Vinnie.....

Click image to enlarge

I bought Vinnie about three weeks ago, he's a 55 plate SE Automatic! Up until two years ago I owned a 200tdi Disco which was only a play thing but it eventually lost its battle with rust. Since then I've been using my dads 90 on occasions and for walking our dog. Over the years I've owned numerous cars including a couple of Civic type-r's and my favourite car being a 08 Golf R32! I enjoy nippy cars and the handling but they don't give me the feeling of security that 4x4's do!

I debated for years whether to have my car and another play Landy or whether to buy one vehicle to do the job of both! I made my mind up and decided I was buying a D2! I hung out on the D2 forum for a while, asked lots of questions and got a lot of advice! Eventually me and my partner went to view what we thought was the perfect D2...........it was dated, slow and rattled a lot! We came home that night and went back to the drawing board.......... Idea I know, lets get a D3!!!!

I spent some time on here getting to know them a little better and asking lots of questions again, I received some great advice and was helped out by some very decent people. After a few months of searching with no joy (mainly because I'm fussy) I stumbled across Vinnie! He was just what I wanted but with high mileage.

Click image to enlarge

I went to view him and then came home to think if I could really live with buying a 186k mileage vehicle Confused Again I asked lots on here and after being told its more about service history and reciepts than mileage I decided to take the plunge and go for it!

Click image to enlarge

That's how he looked from my bedroom window the morning after picking him up! I was keen to get out in some fields and have a little play with the TR, so I took the dog out and killed two birds with one stone!

Click image to enlarge

I'd wanted a HSE for the privacy glass as I like that look so much better so my first mod was a no brainer..........tints!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next up was a service, I took it to an Indie who gave him a service, changed the gearbox oil and looked it over for me so I could stop worrying I'd bought a Lemon! He said for the mileage it's in very good nick Very Happy
I then decided it was time for a little tinker myself, so I cleaned the MAP sensor

Click image to enlarge

And fitted a de egr kit

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The Lady I bought Vinnie off gave me an immitation rigid boot liner which i decided to use to keep the boot slightly cleaner when our Labs in there. Clearly I needed more protection than that after a nice muddy walk, so I ordered a uk custom boot liner and sourced a second hand dog guard of an auction site! I fitted the boot liner which covers the back of the seats as well as the boot sides followed by the dog guard and then put the rigid floor cover back in.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

On the way to collect the dog guard I paid my first visit to M&M 4x4 as I was passing, only to buy a new strop and shackles though! I also noticed more than ever a juddering every time we were going uphill! I thought the new gearbox oil might have fixed it but clearly not so i decided to order some Dr Tranny! I took the advice of someone on here who said its a lot quicker to put a piece of hose on the oil cooler and squeeze it in there as trying to squeeze it down the hose can take hours on end!

Click image to enlarge

The sat nav worked quite well on the way to collect the dog guard so I decided to buy a 2012 upgraded map disc for it. I wanted to try Vinnie out in a bit more mud so dragged my mate along who had also never tried out his "truck" off road! Thankfully for me it was still slightly frozen so my road tyres dealt with everything i put them through! I didn't take any pics of us playing though!

I want to thank everyone for the help and advice I've already received and I'll try to give back to the forum as much as I can. I have a list of mods I want to do in the future and I'll update this thread as and when I do them!

Last edited by Iceman08 on 7th Jul 2017 4:27 pm. Edited 7 times in total 
Post #13990911st Jan 2015 8:43 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice... Ok, so why vinnie ?

Post #13991141st Jan 2015 9:14 pm
Darryl

England 2005 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice yes, i just brought a black D3 too , a 55 S from your neck of the woods Whistle

Post #13991161st Jan 2015 9:18 pm
Paul Barls

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

That is a great write up, you have done quite a lot already in a short period of time. I am sure you will enjoy it. Only had mine about 2 months, love it! Thumbs Up
 Land Rover Discovery 3 (2006) 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto
BT Upgrade, COD Upgrade
New Side Steps, Front Mud Flaps
MegaFlush @ 97k 

Post #13991181st Jan 2015 9:20 pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Brilliant write up Thumbs Up also in the best colour too 8) I'm also interested why you called it Vinnie?
 2007 D3 XS Auto 101k

BF Goodrich AT's
RLD black sump guard
LR Spot lamps
Shire Fabrication rock and tree sliders
Prospeed compressor guard
Underbody plating 

Post #13991341st Jan 2015 9:59 pm
Jay666d

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yup, an enjoyable read! Thumbs Up

Those little bags you have in the boot, the green and black one... I have the black one! Smile I use mine to keep my rifle cleaning kit and some basic tools (also for the rifle) in.

I got an HSE, also in the best colour Whistle but I don't think mine had tints.... If it did they weren't dark enough, so I had them done in Limo Black! Thumbs Up
 07 Land Rover Discovery III HSE
07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
08 Mercedes Sprinter 

Post #13991391st Jan 2015 10:27 pm
Boisee

Scotland 

Nice write up but that boot looks way too tidy to house some labs Smile

Post #13991441st Jan 2015 10:33 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

That is indeed a nice write up, but now waiting on the next instalment. Laughing

Trust Vinnie will serve you well in the years to come.
Thumbs Up

Post #13991471st Jan 2015 10:35 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Sounds like a good car but the D3 looks tiny next to that yellow monstrosity Shocked Laughing
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #13991571st Jan 2015 11:07 pm
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Me and the girlfriend chose Vinnie because we like the Panda off the Fox's biscuit advert and it's a "tough manly" name that suits the D3!!!! I'm a bit ocd with keeping my boot tidy, and we only have one lab who's relatively well behaved dare I say it!! We intend to keep the D3 for years to come so hopefully he will serve us well and bring us lots of fun!

Darryl - Where did you buy from? There was a Blue S for sale not that far from me recently!

I had a look at your thread Jay and I like the idea of putting up a list, adding to it and crossing bits off as you go along Thumbs Up The bags are Snugpak Response Paks, cheap and robust! The Green one is our First Aid Kit and the Black one is our Brew kit! It holds my Jetboil, two titanium mugs and various hot chocolate/coffee sachets along with tea bags, sugar and powdered milk!

Last edited by Iceman08 on 7th Jul 2017 4:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13991711st Jan 2015 11:54 pm
anglefire

England 

You need to change the diif breather to the updated one - you have the original one still and they are prone to blocking and pressurising the diff. A search on here should throw up the information you need. Not expensive. Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #13991892nd Jan 2015 6:41 am
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice write up Iceman, can't workout from your pics whereabouts in the shire you are?

Post #13991942nd Jan 2015 7:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Iceman, is that your car featuring in the Supertints facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Supertints-...3377279393 ? The mud pattern seems to match.

Post #13992982nd Jan 2015 11:59 am
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

That's a proper Hereford D3, mud on the outside and inside Rolling with laughter
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #13993252nd Jan 2015 1:00 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

"I also noticed more than ever a juddering every time we were going uphill! I thought the new gearbox oil might have fixed it but clearly not so i decided to order some Dr Tranny! "

Sadly Dr Tranny is likely to be only a temporary fix, if you have the judders at that mileage it is likely to need an new torque converter in the near future so you might want to start saving (just going through this expense myself). Crying or Very sad

Sorry that’s probably not what you want to hear. Sad
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #13993282nd Jan 2015 1:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 14 123 ... 121314>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >