Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Mike Neal Select in Goole and Unit Stocking finance?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
thepurser

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4
Mike Neal Select in Goole and Unit Stocking finance?

Hello all.
Just about to pull the trigger on a 2011 SDV6 HSE (8 speed).
Just a quick ask around as I am too far away to view myself.
Anyone have experience with Mike Neal Select based in Whitley, (Goole / Pontefract)?
Seems like a decent guy on the phone and Autotrader rating is good but any personal experience would help my nerves.
Also the HPI check shows the car as outstanding on Unit Stocking finance.
I understand this is normal practice for dealers to be able to maintain stock but anyone got any advice on liability should the worst happen? Or ways to safeguard etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Post #19816678th Sep 2018 11:36 am
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Always pay for £100 min on a credit card. Section 75 protection.
www.moneysavingexpert.com has some good tips for buying Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #19816898th Sep 2018 1:33 pm
Disco dazboy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Your asking for trouble not viewing it! Surely it’s worth putting yourself out a bit to go and see it in the flesh?
 D3 x2 now gone
Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 4motion 

Post #19817198th Sep 2018 5:37 pm
thepurser

Ideally I would go view it but these things sell so fast that its almost impossible.
Have put down a deposit that worst case scenario gets written off to experience if its not what It seems when I get there.
All seems legit in as far as I can tell. Casr check flagged the finance but past MOT's seem good with mainly advisories for simple wear items, (brakes mainly).
Slightly higher mileage than I would normally look at but its a Disco and I won't be doing much mileage this year so will bring it back down to average in a years time when I will consider wether to keep it or admit I have undulged my dreams long enough and settle for something more practical for me.
Thanks for the input though so far.
Would love to hear from anyone who has bought from this dealer in the past.

Post #19817248th Sep 2018 5:48 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have to agree with DD you should go and view it. Its a 7 year old car and what the garage/seller thinks is acceptable for a 7 year old car you may not.Something like a small judder when braking and the auto-box is going down through the gears, I missed that on my test drive and it cost me around £3000 for a new box. They are complicated beasts and if i was spending that money i would be there to check it. If you have money to burn thats fine. Good luck fella Thumbs Up
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #19817288th Sep 2018 5:59 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have an AA check done one it, from my experience do not buy without a viewing Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #19818379th Sep 2018 9:15 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I believe he is travelling to check/drive then buy and drive home if happy. If unhappy worst case is he loses ( The holding) deposit which he excepts. Thumbs Up

Post #19818449th Sep 2018 9:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
thepurser

Spot on Gazellio!! Unable to view instantly due to work and geographical location, (not ignorance, blind faith and lack of drive to travel) and as these sell FAST I have put down a holding deposit. Luckily I am in the position of being able to absorb the loss of the deposit in a worst case scenario although I would prefer not too as that is hard earned money!!!

Have to say I have heard mixed stories about AA checks. Some skilled mechanics picking up faults, some about local farmers making money on the side and missing obvious things like not being able to find locking nuts and service books, (that were in the glove box). Hit and miss?
Also with respect I am not a mechanic nor am I used to a discovery so a test drive is only going to point out obvious faults and it seems I am not alone in missing expensive repair potential on a test drive (Aerialmark?). On a previous car I found the engine a little laggy and gear change slightly awkward compared to my daily driver. Two days after purchase the clutch exploded. I lacked the experience to be able to spot this.

Anyway, back to topic!!

The car comes with a warranty.
I've done a car check.
I will purchase with credit card for part of the price.
I also have some consumer rights dealing with a dealer and not a private sale and I will be seeing the vehicle before handing over the balance.
I was just asking if anyone had purchased from the dealer in question as it is a new dealer to me and out of my area. Always nice to have a little background on previous experiences both positive and negative.

Either way thanks for the input so far. Looking forward to becoming a proper membver of the forum not just a kid starting at the shop window.
As I have said I cannot physically get to the vehicle for a week or so which makes me viewing it impossible at this time. However, if anyone in the area wants to earn some beer tokens, (and karma) and go give it a quick shifty be my guest.

Post #19818549th Sep 2018 10:35 am
thepurser

So my AA report came back today. Everything GREEN with a couple of notes.
Small repair to OSF corner and wheelarch in the past. Probably a scrape and touch up.

Red:
 Door lock intermittent on locking. (On the phone was told this was wth the remote fob and may be a battery issue?)
Fault code retrieved - P04080 radiator electric cooling fan.      

Amber:
 Slight long term oil leak on underside of engine

Anyone able to shed any light on the issues raised please?

Post #198457618th Sep 2018 11:14 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
New car

Hello, I bought my car from Mike Neil about 4 months ago. Its a big business with a good number of cars there and they are all high end vehicles.

The chap was decent enough. No pressure to buy and the experiance was close to a private sale. My car was as described, and a test drive showed no faults that I could detect. They already had a list of work to be done on the car and a couple of things that I spotted were also rectified.

I was able to negotiate on the price enough to satisfy myself and the car came with a 6month Autoguard gold warranty. It also had an mot and a oil service before I got it, he also insisted on changing the cam belt because it was due in 5000 mikes. It was all done as part of the pre delivery service.

The thing that struck me during the negotiation was it was very fact based, and when we got to the point where it would jepodise the service work he refused to sell it to me. He wanted to ensure that the car was good and his reputation was protected.

About a month after getting the car I had the amber performance restricted light come on. Turned out to be the fuel filter housing. I had good communications with Mike Neil and the Warranty paid up and all is good. My impression is that he takes out a good warranty in order to not have any hassle himself if a car goes wrong.

Not so good thing was that the MOT picked up a couple of suspension bushes as an advisory. I wasnt too fussed as all cars get them as advisories. I didnt realise the cost of new ones. That said I saved enough off the list price to easily cover having all of them changed.

All in all a good experiance and I would buy off him again.

Hope that helps

PS I also called the garage that did the service, impression was that it was a good independent that knew about Land Rovers.
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #198462319th Sep 2018 9:01 am
thepurser

Thanks for that charlietortoise!
I have had a good feeling from talking to Mike and he does seem customer focused.
AA report confirms what he has told me and I have passed on the details of the issues raised this morning.
Buying a car is always a bit of a stab in the dark especially at a distance. Nice to have the benefit of someone else's experience to help calm the nerves before I send in the armoured car with the payment!!

Post #198464719th Sep 2018 11:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >