Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Am I missing something here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Vocally or physically taking the proverbial out of Hitler might be a peculiarly British thing but it's my opinion that making a figure of fun out of him denies him being just a name and a date in History. If ridiculing him were banned it would be affording him some sort of respect - he may have had the respect of [some of] his countryman for a few years but for the last eighty or so he's had the Censored taken out of him in this country at least.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #226182012th Nov 2021 5:40 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I agree Hugh. By not talking about him and by not using him as a figure of fun, we give him credibility that resonates with those that would today do as he did. Making a joke of the man, if not his deeds, is no bad thing.

I'm reminded of the line from the film (which was actually written in various forms going back to the 1800s): the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #226182312th Nov 2021 5:58 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If his Hitler impression had concentrated only on the Eastern Front / the Russians and didn't mentions Jews, would there have been the same outcry? I'm not so sure but obviously we'll never know.

Who knows, but Nazi Germany penetrated the entire former Jewish Pale. The Russian Holocaust accounted for the deaths of millions of Soviet Jews and those who had fled to Russian from Poland (See Wiki link below).

In my opinion the fact that he did mention Jews was enough to cause a feeling of discomfort and perhaps for some offence.

Hitler was an artist before he became a politician, his traditional landscapes were not fashionable at the time, the German art world preferring the new abstract and modernist styles.

The 1937 Degenerate Art Exhibition in Munich was Hitlers revenge and it poured scorn on such works via the accompanying handbook and features in the media. The Nazis claimed that degenerate art was the product of Jews and Bolsheviks, although only six of the 112 artists featured in the exhibition were actually Jewish.

Such was the exhibitions success at stirring antisemitic thoughts, the Nazis took it on tour across Germany.

With the above in mind and the fact that “Raubkunst” was arguably the biggest act of theft in history. I can totally sympathise with those who felt uncomfortable or took some level of offence. Although as I have already said, I don’t think it was intentional.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_in_Russia

Sad
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #226183712th Nov 2021 7:11 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT - don't misunderstand me, what Hitler's bunch of sycophantic Censored wipes did to the Jews was unspeakable.

But it pales in comparison to the deaths inflicted on the Soviets. 6 millions vs 26 million.

I'm not denigrating the terrible atrocities inflicted in the camps, but it annoys me that the headline figure is always "6 million Jews". More than 6 million Ukrainians were killed during WW2.

It's all unspeakable, but no one suffered more than anyone else and everyone should recognise the fact that death was meted out on a scale never seen before or, thankfully, since.

It sounds like I might be anti-Semitic, I realise that, but the Jews did not suffer more than others. Many more died that weren't Jewish and everyone, including the Jewish community, would do well to remember that.

Focussing on a single victim does nothing to ensure the horrors of a mass murderer are accounted for.

So far as the speaker's attempt to use Hitler to prove that good taste exists (by demonstrating that bad taste exists), I don't have a problem with that. To mention the Holocaust as a means to somehow derail his argument is to miss the point. That one can make a joke about Hitler - and it will always be in bad taste - is to prove the speaker's point.

The real travesty is that Hitler is not an isolated case. Over the centuries / millennia there have been numerous mass murdering b Censored ds . Hitler is not unique in this regard. Where Hitler "benefitted" was in the industrialisation of war. And that is on everyone. Including, sadly, the British and yes some Jewish industrialists.

War is Censored . Everyone loses. Even the winners.

To put in context the horrors of WW2, look ye here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_by_death_toll
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #226188713th Nov 2021 1:41 am
HWN

We (the British) did make some gaffes after WW I but the French wanted vengeance and the Yanks wanted their repayments for the loans made for rebuilding Germany. A perfect opportunity for a rabble-rouser to paint Germany as a victim and to point the finger at rich American financiers for the rampant inflation necessary to keep up the loan repayments. "Yes you did - you invaded Poland" doesn't quite cover it, Mr Cleese...

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #226189613th Nov 2021 10:01 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I realise that, but the Jews did not suffer more than others. Many more died that weren't Jewish and everyone, including the Jewish community, would do well to remember that.”

Focussing on a single victim does nothing to ensure the horrors of a mass murderer are accounted for.

You seem to be implying that Jews consider themselves to have a monopoly on suffering. A common antisemitic trope.

I would say that the Worldwide Jewry are far more aware of and remember all those who suffered and were murdered at the hands of the Nazis in WW2 and the preceding years more than any other community.

Hence why Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) (27 January) is a national commemoration day dedicated not just to the remembrance of those who suffered in The Holocaust, under Nazi Persecution, but also subsequent genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur.

In the context of this thread, A.G-D did specifically mention Jews in his speech. I attempted to explain why specifically Jews may have been offended or felt uncomfortable by it. Thumbs Up

Post #226209514th Nov 2021 1:49 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT - don't dare insinuate I'm antisemitic. Censored For a start, it's a poor attempt to close down a discussion - the same as people using race/gender/etc. to close down discussions.

The reality is that the Russians suffered the greatest losses of life in WW2 by far. The West as a whole seem to be content to forget that fact, presumably because it didn't sit well during the Cold War etc.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #226216014th Nov 2021 6:32 pm
HWN

I can't remember Godwin's Law coming into play on this site - let's not do so now. Wink

That's pretty amazing, really - especially some of the subjects that get aired. This and a SAAB site are the most Godwin's-free sites I know. Discerning owners, both.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #226229415th Nov 2021 3:16 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Yes, we don't want to Godwin the place. Quite right.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #226234715th Nov 2021 6:40 pm
LT

RRSTDV8 wrote:
LT - don't dare insinuate I'm antisemitic. Censored For a start, it's a poor attempt to close down a discussion - the same as people using race/gender/etc. to close down discussions.

The reality is that the Russians suffered the greatest losses of life in WW2 by far. The West as a whole seem to be content to forget that fact, presumably because it didn't sit well during the Cold War etc.

I really was not insinuating anything, apologies if you thought that I was. Neither was I trying to close down any discussion. Thumbs Up

As above, in my opinion the fact that he (A.G-D) did specifically mention Jews was enough to cause a feeling of discomfort and some offence may have been caused, especially by Jews.

I was however pointing out that you had used a well known antisemitc trope, when stating that, "Many more died that weren't Jewish and everyone, including the Jewish community, would do well to remember that." I appreciate that this wouldn't have been your intention, but it did not read well. Thumbs Up

Jews are regularly criticised for implying that their suffering was all that they care about, at the expense of all the others who suffered. Which simply is not true, in fact it's the opposite. Jews are inherently aware of all who suffered under the Nazis and of all acts of genocide.

You also said "It sounds like I might be anti-Semitic, I realise that, but the Jews did not suffer more than others."

If by suffer you mean numbers of dead, then yes Russia had the highest death figure, estimated to be 24,000,000 (Military & Civilian) an unimaginably large and horrific number, over an eighth of the total Russian population, which in 1940 was estimated to be 194,000,000.

I am in no way belittling any Russian death, but as a percentage comparison, from 1933, when the Nazi's took power to the end of the war, two out of every three Jews in Europe had been murdered or killed in action.

There is a case to present for the Jews having suffered for the longest period under Nazi power.

The “Final Solution” was a euphemism used by Nazi Germany’s leaders to refer to their plan to annihilate the Jewish people. Whilst the Roma in Europe and political opponents of the Nazis suffered terrible deaths as well, this was genocide of the Jews.

It all began before the war, not long after the Nazi's took power. State sponsored racism led to anti-Jewish legislation, economic boycotts, and the violence of the Kristallnacht ("Night of Broken Glass") pogroms, in 1938, all of which aimed to systematically isolate Jews from society and drive them out of the country.

After the start of WW2, anti-Jewish policy escalated to the imprisonment and eventual murder of European Jewry. The Nazis first established ghettos (enclosed areas designed to isolate and control the Jews) in a territory in central and eastern Poland overseen by a German civilian government as well as an area of western Poland annexed to Germany. Polish and western European Jews were deported to these ghettos where they suffered terribly in overcrowded and unsanitary conditions with inadequate food.

After the June 1941 German invasion of the Soviet Union, SS and police units began massive killing operations aimed at entire Jewish communities. By autumn 1941, the SS and police introduced mobile gas vans. They were designed to complement the ongoing shooting operations.

In July 1941, Nazi leader Hermann Goering authorized SS General Reinhard Heydrich to make preparations for the implementation of a "complete solution of the Jewish question." The horrors that followed in the camps is well documented.

Whilst all citizens of Nazi occupied countries suffered terribly during the war and yes casualty/death rates were highest in Russia, I simply can't agree with you when you say that "the Jews did not suffer more than others" and I hope that I have explained my reasons why. Thumbs Up

Post #226237315th Nov 2021 8:15 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

In Leningrad alone, over a million people starved to death by the deliberate actions of the Germans. People turned to cannibalism to try to survive. That was just one city.

The Germans didn't just shoot a lot of Russians (they did that too, of course), they made them suffer long and horrible deaths. The Germans considered the Slavs (that includes the Russians) as being subhuman. POWs were worked to death, starved to death. Over 3 million Soviet POWs alone were killed by the Germans this way. And they also used concentration camps for the Slavic peoples. Gas chambers and crematoria were used just as they were with the Jews. The very same things done to Jews were done to Slavs and others.

Here is a picture of Soviet prisoners in one of these camps. I won't post the picture, just a link, for obvious reasons. There is no difference here to similar images of Jews rescued from "their" camps. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/com...angene.jpg

If this wasn't suffering on a scale equal to the horrors faced by the Jews, then I don't know what scale you're using.

They all suffered. And they all suffered equally terribly.

It is these things that we must all remember when certain groups try to make others in to "them". It all starts by creating an idea in the minds of the population that there is a "them" and an "us". And then "us" accepts bad things being done to "them". We see it with refugees today and how some people try to dehumanise them. It's step one on a short trip to hell for us all.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #226245216th Nov 2021 12:42 am
LT

The Nazis wanted to defeat Russia using any means possible at their disposal. However, they did not have a “Final Solution” for all Russian or Slav civilians.

Yes the scale of suffering for some of the Russian population at the hands of the Nazis, which due to its vast size, equated to a huge number, was horrendous, but mercifully for the Russians is was less prolonged than for the Jews of at first Germany and then the other Nazis occupied countries.

Of the 200,000 children killed at Auschwitz alone, more than a thousand were from the occupied Soviet. The majority of them came from Byelorussia. Along with 1,650 Polish and 800 Romani children. All the rest were Jewish children.

Although a great many Russian civilians and their children were shot. Generally Russian civilians away from the fighting, whilst still starving and in fear of the Nazis, did not have to fear that their babies, children and women would be rounded up and murdered because of their faith. Unless of course they were Soviet Jews and as I pointed out the Nazis penetrated the entire former Jewish Pale

My point, which perhaps has got lost in amongst all this horror, is that I still disagree with your comment, “It sounds like I might be anti-Semitic, I realise that, but the Jews did not suffer more than others.”

Post #226245916th Nov 2021 1:35 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

You're wrong about the Germans not having a "final solution" plan for the east. It was called Generalplan Ost and the idea was to ethnically cleanse whole swathes of land in to Russia and neighbouring countries using genocide. The idea was to do some of it during the war - that's why Operation Barbarossa was carried out. During the invasion, many horrors were inflicted on the Soviets, and it was only the fact that they threw millions of lives against the German Army coupled with the winter conditions that prevented the Germans being able to carry out even more atrocities. If the plan had been carried out, it would have made the Holocaust look like a warm up act.

I can see this becoming too detailed a discussion for this "family" forum, however.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #226251816th Nov 2021 10:14 am
LT

Correct, but the plan wasn’t implemented due to military operations and was gradually abandoned. As such is not really recognised as genocide and you’ll struggle to find it included in a list of 20th Century Genocides.

I am still in strong disagreement of your statements:

“It's all unspeakable, but no one suffered more than anyone else and everyone should recognise the fact”

“I realise that, but the Jews did not suffer more than others.”

Here’s why I disagree with you:

In Nazi Germany and Nazi occupied countries and territories, the fact remains that proportionally the highest loss of life was amongst Jews.

A total of roughly nine million Jews lived in the countries that would be occupied by Germany during World War II. By the end of the war, two out of every three of these Jews would be dead.

Jews suffered under the Nazi regime from 1933 to the very end of WW2.

Jews today are well aware of all those who suffered at the hands of the Nazis, their relatives shared concentration camps with Poles, Russians, Romani and political prisoners.

Post #226252516th Nov 2021 11:16 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Terrible suffering and death was meted out to millions of people. Some of them were Jewish, some of them weren't. All of them suffered terribly. To say otherwise is wrong. All suffered terribly. No one suffered a more horrible death just because he was a Jew and the man dying just as horribly next to him was a Romani.

And if you want to argue proportions as the measure, then the Roma peoples suffered as much if not more than anyone. Some estimates put the figures as up to 75% of the population were killed by the Germans between 1935 and 1945, although the figures are harder to research as the Roma people weren't exactly at the forefront of the post-War thoughts of the West. The Romani were rounded up and treated exactly as the Jews were and for as long as they were. But there were very many fewer of them to start with so the death toll was proportionally as bad if not worse.

So I stand by my assertion that the suffering of all was equally as bad. To try to rank it, to say "we suffered more than you" is crass.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #226253316th Nov 2021 12:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >