Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

mObridge M2.Connect MOST
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
mObridge M2.Connect MOST

A brief write up, as mentioned or promised by me in some other threads. Hope it is useful for someone else before attempting/purchasing/while googling/etc.

Instead of adding a D4 BT module to my D3 I obtained a mObridge M2.Connect MOST module via a distributor here in Finland. They don’t sell directly to end customers but instead insist that you buy through a distributor or authorized representative. From the time of the order it took roughly two months from the device to show up..

The promise:

- Bluetooth telephony Thumbs Up
- Bluetooth audio streaming (A2DP) Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
- Android app to configure settings, if necessary Thumbs Up

Install, quite straight forward:

- (I had previously gotten the telephony switch pack installed)
- remove center console H-fascia
- the module can be tucked high up next to the ventilation canal
- take power from somewhere
- connect it to the most ring
- install USB plug, mine is on the side of the upper glove box
- install bypass switch, mine is hidden behind the fascia
- install their microphone, one can’t use the LR one (wrong impedance I was told)

All in all a bit under two hours altogether.

What I got working immediately:

- BT hands free calls
- address book synchronizes nicely and one can choose whether to sort by first or last name
- steering wheel controls and radio controls allow dialing, etc.

In CCF, Bluetooth is enabled, microphone is disabled.

What I haven’t gotten working so far:

- A2DP streaming or also known as the reason I put a bunch of cash down for the box (see below)

Pros:

- pre-sales was ok, they answered all the questions that I had
- didn’t break the car Thumbs Up
- BT pairing is easy and troublefree for at least iPhones
- BT pairing happens in a few seconds after vehicle startup
- voice call sound comes via the speakers, quality is quite good
- Callers on the other end report voice quality from me to then is good, too
- address book sync is rather fast. If you have 2-3 numbers for every person then those will show up separately for each and every one. This is a LR feature it seems.
- assuming I get with A2DP working, the whole solution would be is rather nice

Cons:

- assuming I don’t get streaming working TCO will be rather high
- Android app doesn’t seem to exist anymore, config needs to be done with special command numbers
- iOS app doesn’t seem to exist (anymore?)

A2DP streaming:

According to mObridge the box is supposed to show up as a SDARS device (Satellite receiver) automatically and one is supposed to access it by pressing the AUX button to cycle through various choices. The Discovery 3 Satellite Receiver documentation agrees on the latter but for sure nothing happens when I press AUX multiple times.

The iPhone is happy as it does accept the M2 Pro 101 BT device as a valid destination for audio output.

I’ve asked mObridge but so far haven’t gotten a response back. It’s weekend there down under, though, already. Whistle

A lengthy google search session resulted in the following:

1. People who have it working, have it working magically
2. People with another SDARS system like Sirius or XM have gotten it with their cars and it seems to work
3. There might be something that needs to be changed in CCF but it sure hasn’t been documented by anyone on the internet I’m on Whistle
4. The nice people at GAP said I’m the first guy attempting or asking them for assistance on this matter (weren’t able to help unfortunately) Wink

Has anyone else ever configured a SDARS receiver? Is there something special that needs to be done? Does JLR SDD have something special which is necessary to do (like upgrade some firmware?) in a normal case?

I’ll update this thread later no matter what the outcome. Might even add pictures. Thumbs Up

Last edited by kajtzu on 27th Mar 2018 7:31 am. Edited 13 times in total 
Post #192943523rd Mar 2018 4:43 pm
kajtzu

I got a new firmware image from mObridge. The device came loaded with version 1.12.9 and after upgrading the version is 1.12.10. Thumbs Up

The upgrade itself is quite easy:

- have a USB stick, mine was formatted FAT32
- put the image on the stick
- connect stick to USB cable that you (hopefully) left accessible (mine is in the upper glove box)
- wait 5-10 minutes
- remove stick
- to verify check mobridge.txt on the stick or just press 2x AUX Whistle

After upgrading, the M2 shows up as a Satellite receiver and music can be streamed and heard through the speakers

In my opinion totally worth the purchase to a D3 with MOST bus:

- BT calls and integrated streaming
- no quality issues with the streamed sound
- no extra conversions - audio is all digital until the amp output
- etc.

Have been playing Kenny Loggins Danger Zone all morning Laughing

Five thumbs up 8)

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited by kajtzu on 27th Mar 2018 8:01 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #192943723rd Mar 2018 4:45 pm
kajtzu

Found a small bug, if one uses forward/backward on the steering wheel while the satellite receiver is selected it’ll switch to a channel where no audio can be heard. The selection will reset to a working channel (002) once the car restarts again. I asked mobridge this, too, let’s see whether it is possible to mitigate somehow. If not, I’ll just have to remember not to press those buttons Whistle

Post #193060327th Mar 2018 7:37 am
kajtzu

According to mObridge it isn’t possible to fix the up/down command. The IHU attempts to send the command to a non-existing node address on the MOST bus. Not a big problem, just need to remember it. I mostly listen to podcasts and iTunes Radio country music stations so I rarely skip songs.

Final score: Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1/2

Post #193125229th Mar 2018 6:50 am
nebc100

Luxembourg 

Hello,

I have been thinking of getting one of these devices so I was interested in reading your post.

Are you saying that you cannot change track from the steering wheel if you are listening to music stored on your phone?

Thanks for the clarification.

Nick

Post #193209131st Mar 2018 6:12 pm
kajtzu

Correct, Nick.

Up/down would actually change the channel (since there isn’t a concept of skipping songs on satellite radio) which it attempts to do but the command isn’t seen by the M2 device since it is directed to another node address. I understood it from mObridge that the box has one MOST address while LR expects it to have two since there are two functionalities present.

I have a Brodit LR D3 specific mount for the phone, it’s relatively easy to skip tracks from there.

If you use Waze (at least) it is able to mux in it’s navigation instructions in the music stream and that’s also being played via the receiver - the music volume is lowered a bit for the duration of the announcement.

Post #193209831st Mar 2018 6:38 pm
05lr

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, I got my Mobridge M2 about a month back, and thought I might have a defective one.

My issue was that after installing inline to the IHU, and taking power from the IHU itself, after the vehicle power was cycled I would have the following intermittent issues.

IHU Screen completely blank
    IHU On but no audio controls and no sound
    No Sound initially from radio, but then after a couple of miles it turns on

To resolve these issues most of the time, I resorted to simply unplugging the MOST connector from the M2 and plugging it back in. Hey presto problem solved... until the next time the power is cycled on the vehicle.

After troubleshooting with Mobridge over email, they suggested I should have it replaced. I've done that, gotten the new one, and same problem.

I thought I would try to install it on the MOST ring after the amp, but after ripping apart the interior rear quarters of my LR3 in the hope of finding a MOST connector for the factory Bluetooth (mine has no Bluetooth) I've come up short. Only thing I can think of now is pulling power from some better source, and plugging it back into the back of the IHU.

Kajtzu, did you experience anything like this on your install? Can I ask where you ultimately pulled your power from?

I will say, when this thing works, its brilliant.

Post #194473213th May 2018 7:38 am
kajtzu

It’s powered from the IHU power feed (cable), not from a fuse. So it is on if the IHU/6-CD changer is on. Went nowhere near the rear of the vehicle. I think it is the first device on the ring from the IHU... or the last, I truly don’t remember which cable it was. It’s installed high up on the left side of the IHU, next to the left center console air duct.

I really have no issues with it after the software upgrade which made A2DP sound work.

IMO, probably best mod for D3 driving comfort right after D4 style (tighter) cup holders and new bushes. Whistle I don’t have a cubby fridge, though, as 7-8 months of the year the ambient temperature is significantly lower than your average fridge. Laughing

Last edited by kajtzu on 13th May 2018 8:30 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #194473713th May 2018 8:24 am
05lr

thanks for confirming that power was pulled from IHU. I'm going to play around some more with it. You gave me a good idea to just swap placement of the device on the MOST ring by flipping the in/out wires to the IHU.

Post #194473813th May 2018 8:27 am
kajtzu

If you get it working, please leave a comment on this thread in case someone else stumbles on the same issue. Having googled the M2, there really aren’t many hits on the internet of it and D3s. Only some over at the Porsche and Audi forums.

Post #194474413th May 2018 8:38 am
05lr

Got it working

I’m pretty sure I solved my problem. The radio has now been working reliably for a couple of days. The solution for me was to tap fuse 65 (it was blank on my Lr3) with a 3amp fuse. This seems to be an ignition controlled fuse, so even through the radio switches on with the ignition off I get no volume due to the MOST circuit being broken with the un-powered M2. As soon as the ignition is on the music starts playing. I’m OK with that.

I tried tapping fuse 52 which is for the factory Bluetooth but it’s a constant on and I experienced the same issues as when I tapped power from the head unit.

I hope this will help someone else in the future.

If you have doubts about getting the M2, I can vouch for it, even with this minor trouble.[/u]

Post #194616118th May 2018 6:21 am
John Andre Ognheim

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi

tnx for the write up guys.

I\ve been thinking get this myselfe.
Seems difficult to get it h ere in Norway.
Where in UK can u order it, and what price ?

cheers.
 D3, MY06  
Post #194658519th May 2018 7:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kajtzu

MObridge lists a Norwegian distributor for their products called dynabel on this page. http://www.mobridge.com.au/distributors. The Finnish distributor worked fine for me.

Post #194659119th May 2018 7:42 pm
John Andre Ognheim

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
moBridge

Tnx, yes I know but seems they dont sell moBridge anymore...
 D3, MY06  
Post #194689020th May 2018 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >