DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Motorbility
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
dazsear

England 

pom wrote:
Is this some sort of joke Shocked

Taxpayer providing £45k+ of cars free wtf ?

I'm totally not against anyone with a disability being helped but a 45k landy is a pi$$ take. Surely the gov can negotiate with a car manufacturer to provide a basic £10k max eurobox as cheaply as possible to the taxpayer ?

So how does this scheme work exactly, you put down a deposit get free motoring and then keep the car ?

Pom

What a complete NOB, I hope you need such a benefit in years to come!

The scheme is a lease, you do not get to keep the car at the end of the three year period unless you pay a massive sum of money. The scheme basically works out how much a car costs, what it will be worth in three years time, takes into account approx £200 a month and then calculates the deposit needed to make the sums work out.

Daz Evil or Very Mad
 17 4.4 Autobiography FFRR
57 VW Transporter - now gone!
09 D3 HSE in Black - long gone!
08 RRS TDV8 HST - long long gone! 

Post #88347414th Jan 2012 10:21 pm
whoami

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
Better hurry before they put the £25k cap on it Smile

Which is well overdue.

Post #88347514th Jan 2012 10:26 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Rolling Eyes

It's really annoying when people just jump on the band wagon and criticise a scheme when they don't even know how the system works in the first place Evil or Very Mad It's not too hard to look up how the scheme works either Confused

Why did they need to put a cap on it, the person who LEASED the car would just pay a higher advance payment meaning that the total payment would cover the price of the car - it is not a FREE car and never has been Banging Head

This scheme did not even cost taxpayers anything, if the person qualified for the high rate of DLA mobility they would get the money anyway, they then decide what they want to do with it, be it purchase a car on the Motability scheme or not.

Post #88349914th Jan 2012 11:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

You know, I get a lot of people look at my home or my D4 and say "Wow, you;re so lucky! " etc.
This can sometimes be an ill informed statement. I was "lucky" in that the other guy was insured
and that I have some great carers and that I only broke my back and not my neck etc.

I suppose what I'm saying is , it's all relative! I don't have the D4 on motability, it is owned by a
trust that has been sorted for provision of funds for care etc. It seems to me that there is a genuine
(and non malicious, I hasten to add) ignorance of how the system works. It is NOT and never has been,
a free car.

I suppose the old saying that us raspberries use when able bodied people use a disabled space rings true here
too. You can have the space if you're happy to have the disability!

My view about this has not changed even since before I was paralysed. Different strokes for different folks I suppose!

I get the dirty looks when I park in disabled space right up until I get the wheelchair out! I empathise with Dave, he has
it much worse - at least my disability is quite obvious! I agree though, alot of the ignorance shown is down to the car. How
can a disabled person be allowed to have a nice car - I mean - What are they thinking! Wink

Disabled doesn't ALWAYS mean having to live on the poverty line however much that might upset some people!

Just MHO! Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #88352815th Jan 2012 8:14 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

200 a month is fair enough, this wasn't clear from the first post hence my question as I know what disco cost to lease and it ain't 200.

Pom

Post #88353515th Jan 2012 9:50 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

steveraspberry wrote:

Disabled doesn't ALWAYS mean having to live on the poverty line however much that might upset some people!

Exactly ...but part of the reason that this government is pressing for a £25k cap is because they are party to the press and public perception that it isn't right that disabled people should have access to nice cars irrespective of whether it can be afforded or not. Mad
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #88361515th Jan 2012 1:13 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #88371915th Jan 2012 5:39 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Quote:
government is pressing for a £25k cap is because they are party to the press and public perception that it isn't right that disabled people should have access to nice cars irrespective of whether it can be afforded or not. Mad

I know exactly what your getting at - I can afford a D4 BECAUSE I was disabled by another driver. It doesn't stop this perception that disabled should not have nice houses/cars/etc and should not have the audacity to park in disabled bays if they have a nice car!!

IMHO it's a moronic perception but we can't legislate against such narrow mindedness. Whistle
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,

Post #88377815th Jan 2012 8:03 pm
dazsear

England 

Dont even get me started on parking a nice big D3 in a disabled bay....I swear one day I will punch some fecker for staring at me after I have parked there.
Old people are the worst since I'm sure they think blue badges are only given to oxygen thiefs!
I am a big strapping 6'2" bloke that has no disabilities so when I climb out in a bay they assume I am taking the Censored if they only looked close at my son with cerebral palsy they might not stare quite so much, I'm lucky since he can do without a wheelchair for short distances but this only makes it worse.

So if you ever see in the news how some big bloke has beaten an old idiot to within an inch of their life following a blue badge incident you can say you heard it here first!

Daz

Post #88398315th Jan 2012 11:53 pm
dangerdave

Post #88402516th Jan 2012 7:41 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

I remember being challenged by an indignant old dear at the Drs car park a couple of years back. There was only 1 disabled bay and I was just locking the car up IN my chair when she asked:

"Are you disabled?" and then " Well, do you REALLY need that space?"

Rolling Eyes

If I'd been in the D4 I think she would have not bothered with the questions and moved straight onto shooting me straight away. Rolling with laughter
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,

Post #88405016th Jan 2012 9:42 am
kljw

Scotland 

Hi
am going add anther penny here. so here goes, those who make the comments are the uneducated, and are the type of people who have not achieved anything in there llives, so when they see a person who has a disability with a good car, they are jealious, they assume beacause we use a wheelchair then the car must be provided for us at the tax payers exspence, and that helps them to get over the issues they have about there failings.
i am a wheelchair users, depite the fact that i was told i would spend the rest of my life in a chair becuse of chap that knocked me off my R1, i rebelled, and after 14 moths in hospital i got to my feet, just enough to stagger to the back on my car and get out my chair (and a sporty one it is too)
i also returned to work, as the company i still worked for held my job open.
i enjoy my toys. people have mentioned the looks they get when they park their D3 and D4, i use to get some pretty awful looks when i parked my various 911's in the disabled spot, i have even been asked if i got it mobility.
do not be put off or bothered by those who see green. to pepope like us, the shear fact we get out of bed in the morning is a great challange, to go on from there is even harder. we have the right to live what ever life style we choose as long as we pay for it.
for thoese people who wish to make the comments about what the government provides, then they should see my tax return each year, and realise that there are those of us, who use a chair, pay several times more back to the government in tax, than most earn.
rant over, comments welcome.
 Cheers
Keith 

Post #88423316th Jan 2012 4:36 pm
dazsear

England 

Unnecessary quote removed

Here, here mate Bow down

Daz

Post #88437116th Jan 2012 7:23 pm
dangerdave

Post #88445516th Jan 2012 9:10 pm
Ken

Also not all Blue badge peeps have a wheelchair Wife's Blind I have several pins in me Quite funny parking the Lambo / F430 and a guide dog jumping out Rolling with laughter

And yes many a Censored has come a a cropper suggesting I should not park a flash car in a disable bay not known for being passive

Do I care about narrow minded peeps noticed a few comments on this thread that are quite frankly ill-informed and stupid

Post #88447116th Jan 2012 9:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >