DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Motorway speed limit reductions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 
Motorway speed limit reductions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48723302

The speed limit on a stretch of M4 in Wales is going to have the temporary 50mph limit made permanent. This is being done to improve air quality which seems fair enough in some ways.

It does raise some questions: will the limit be increased if / when electric cars are more common than dino-juice ones? Will the reduced limit make people choose a different route through the area that might be quicker so just move the pollution to a different built up area?

Will similar schemes be applied in other areas such as towns? What about A and B roads? A blanket reduction in speeds on the grounds of air pollution improvements would be quite something.
Are we coming to the end of the golden era of personal transport in terms of driving for enjoyment?
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #206312922nd Jun 2019 2:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It’s coming. 50 mph limits all over I reckon.

I’m afraid with the current anti car attitude that our leaders of government, local and national seem to have, it’s inevitable it’s going to happen. Another nail in the coffin of the car, and designed to persuade more of us to use public transport.

Post #206313122nd Jun 2019 2:37 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

There’s nothing in the article quoting any evidence that the trial achieved any meaningful emissions reductions. Is anyone aware of any evidence either way?
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #206313322nd Jun 2019 2:41 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well .... I’ve been down to Dorset from Manchester over the past couple of days. Not in my D4, but the F Type which is a 3.0 petrol.

Normally on a long motorway run the Jag averages 29.5 mpg on the lie o’meter. However the average for the past 2 days has been more like 37 mpg.

I can only put this down to the very long 50 restrictions on the M6, and M5. The M5 is even down to 30mph restriction for a long stretch over the raised section. It’s so slow 😡

The shenanigans of some impatient drivers on the M6 in the road works last night was a real eye opener! Scary stuff.

Post #206313722nd Jun 2019 2:56 pm
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

On the basis that this 50mph limit is aimed solely at reducing pollution, I reserve the right to set my cruise control to 70mph.... Whistle

Wink
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #206317222nd Jun 2019 4:57 pm
nearlee

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

All I'm going to say is electric cars will be a huge problem for this country in terms of pollution and fatalities.

There are far better systems out there.

As for 50 limits, yes it will help with pollution, not sure about accidents though.
 Just remember:-
Amateurs built the Ark
Professionals built the titanic 

Post #206317922nd Jun 2019 5:13 pm
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

Please explain? Shocked

Post #206318722nd Jun 2019 5:35 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

As a D4 and i3 owner, not really sure why electric cars should specifically cause a problem for this country?
 Andy

Post #206319322nd Jun 2019 5:58 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Speed limits are silly and science flawed...especially for this.

I made a point of driving through a 50 for environmental reasons in 6th not 8th so my revs increased, because thats as silly as maxing people do 50 is.

Moving cars through faster seems better than bunching cars up in queues

Its sad that this country is slowly becoming a country of shout loud social media warriors

And i dont have a problem with trying to make the environment better - there are just so many ways to do it without these types of flawed science and attacks
 Mike  
Post #206319922nd Jun 2019 6:26 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Fitzy73 wrote:
As a D4 and i3 owner, not really sure why electric cars should specifically cause a problem for this country?

Thwe network will not be able to cope (system and cables are not man enough for the increased demand) and there is not enough electricity currently to support all electric vehicles for all.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #206320022nd Jun 2019 6:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

If the temporary 50 mph speed limit on a stretch of M4 in Wales is going to be made permanent "to improve air quality", then surely EVs should be exempt & allowed to travel at the former speed, 70 mph?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #206320722nd Jun 2019 7:06 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Russell wrote:
Fitzy73 wrote:

Thwe network will not be able to cope (system and cables are not man enough for the increased demand) and there is not enough electricity currently to support all electric vehicles for all.

For the moment at least, even with big government grants take up of electric cars is still limited, so I don’t see why infrastructure improvements can’t be incremental as sales increase.

Although, electric cars will probably never be for all anyway, as people with flats and in large cities just don’t have designated parking. We are at least lucky that when when the weather is good we can charge for nothing via our solar panels.
 Andy

Post #206322022nd Jun 2019 7:39 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm afraid there are plenty of anti car lobbyists, but nobody to represent motorists.
AA and RAC are useless for representing motorists and are solely a commercial organisation looking purely at selling to motorists, unlike when they were owned by the membership when they actually took motorist concerns into account and lobbied.

Government and Local Authorities love motorists for squeezing money out of them, but hate them using their cars.

My personal opinion is that we have peaked with car ownership and can only see a downward trend.
I actually know quite a few teens who haven't got a licence and not interested in cars - never saw that before Surprised

Where will the govt and LA's get their money when their 'car tax' cashcows decrease?

Post #206324622nd Jun 2019 9:01 pm
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
Fitzy73 wrote:

This is not correct, the DNOs have been planning for this for a number of years. Thumbs Up

Post #206324722nd Jun 2019 9:01 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

DNO's ??
It is correct the grid is often on the point of colapse and there is not the funding or investment to increase generation or infastucture for the national grid
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #206324822nd Jun 2019 9:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >