Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Moving from a MY11 to MY16 - worth it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Moving from a MY11 to MY16 - worth it?

After 1 month and 2,000 miles I thought I’d note a few observations for anyone looking to renew their D4’s while they still can. I’ve moved from a 2011 Landmark (the original limited edition!) which was spec’d somewhere between the old SE and an HSE to a new HSE Luxury.

The Good:

There’s something about the addition of Ad-Blu which has made the engine feel so much smoother. It’s very quiet and pulls better than any other disco I’ve owned.

The 8 speed ZF auto box is also very slick with almost imperceptible changes

Better MPG

Lower road tax

The additional leather inside (door caps, dashboard, heated steering) makes for a quality finish which does feel much more coordinated.

The ICE system is better with a clearer display and faster response time with the touch screen. User POI’s and a TV are nice toys.

The full size spare is now standard which is a relief for those doing high milage.

Not sure I could live without a reversing camera now I’ve got used to it.

The service plan is a no-brainer.

The Bad:

I can’t see any advantage to the silly gear ‘knob’. It stops you using any muscle memory to know where you are. Now you have to look down to reverse or park unless you can remember where you left it last time!

Having to press a small button to disable the start/stop on every trip is a real pain. (ignoring the bright yellow light). The system will prematurely wear some components and doesn’t save much unless your going to be stationary for any length of time. I’m happy to use it when needed but don’t want it forced on me after each start.

The drivers seat won’t adjust as far back as the previous powered seat?

The posh (and smooth) Windsor leather does not look as hard wearing as the cheaper version. The edge of a briefcase or childs buckle will scratch it easily.

There is less room for the drivers feet !!! When you move your right foot from the accelerator to the brake, it often catches the underside of the dash. I realise those with smaller feet won’t notice this, but it’s really annoying for the rest of us.

The Sat-Nav is nowhere near as clear as it was on the older system. Maps look like a 1980’s commodore Vic20 and the TMC display is pointless.

The buttons on the lower height/range selector panel are not as clearly designed as they should be. I’ve watched everyone try to press the bright logo’s for lowering or raising the car for access… instead of the actual unlit button right next to it. (the logo’s look like buttons)

The quality of the paint finish on the vehicle does not seem as good or robust as it was in 2011. Just stare at it a little too hard and it starts to flake off with little chips showing the grey underseal. It’s like there’s a clear top coat missing.

The fixing of the front under tray / tow eye cover is poorly designed and not strong enough.

The USB connection for my phone is now in the glove box rather than the central cubby where it was before. Apart from the longer reach each time I want to connect, for some reason my phone reception is not as good in the glove box than when I put the phone in the cubby ??? (I know I can just leave my phone in the central cubby, but then the music isn't as good quality as when connected with USB)

The headlights are okay, but it’s a shame we couldn’t have full-beam spots instead of the inboard indicators like the old ones. I find the flashing adaptive lights an annoying distraction far more often than I find them useful.

The car thinks it’s 3 degrees hotter than it is - you’d think they’d get this right after 11 years of building them.

Does anyone use flappy paddles other than when they’re clipped accidentally?

In short, I had to change vehicle because after 126,000 miles the older one was getting v.expensive to maintain. There’s not a lot of differences but considering the MY16 only cost me £6k more than the MY11 did five years ago, I’m happy.

However, if my MY11 hadn’t clocked up so many miles, I would have been just as happy to keep it.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #169182113th Aug 2016 9:11 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

The stop start is extremely intrusive on my MY16 HSE as well. Unfortunately, we can't get the lower road fund licence banding AND have the stop start default to off.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #169183513th Aug 2016 9:22 pm
DISCOJASE

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

Nice write up.

I am toying with a new one. So interesting to read.

Thumbs Up
 Filming something somewhere...  
Post #169184713th Aug 2016 9:34 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Good write up, I am just waiting for my16 to arrive and it will be replacing a my12

I found on the test drive or on the my12...

... you get used to the gear knob and soon get muscle memory
... not noticed less less space for my feet
... agree, having the USB port in the glove box is a PITA
... not had a my11, but the sat Nov is much more responsive than in a my12
... found it much smoother drive and gear box on the test drive... not sure how much was a placebo!
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169185213th Aug 2016 9:50 pm
adeal3

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I went from a low mileage 06 D3 XS to a 16 D4 Graphite before they stopped making them and because I'm sure the D5 will cost too much for me. Happy with the move but in harsh economic terms it'd be hard to justify. The D4 is clearly an improvement and very fast but not as big a difference as I'd expected over a nine year old car. I think part of this is due the D3 having only covered 50k miles and having been faultless while owned. The inside is of course nicer but will not wear as well as has been stated.

Post #169185413th Aug 2016 9:51 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Not sure on the interior... my D4 has done 70k and still looks good inside. Cosmetic damage to the tail gate only where I've bashed it with junk on a tip run
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169185713th Aug 2016 9:55 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I couldn't agree with most of the bad points, but could on Eco and the plastic towing eye cover...but it's been the same on this and the last one, fine on the previous year.

Paint quality across all of the lrs was down in 2015/6 it would seem
 Mike  
Post #169186213th Aug 2016 10:07 pm
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Stop/start is a complete pain. When you stop to reverse into a parking space the engine cuts off and so the wheel jams. I also once had to brake suddenly and then try and turn to avoid being hit by an idiot driver. Once again the car switched off, unable to turn and the driver nearly went into me. I'm all for a system that saves fuel/better for the environment but this one is far too sensitive.

The rotary gear nob: don't mind it but I find in the sun it can really heat up. The sun can also reflect off it which although not blinding, can be somewhat annoying.

Paddle shift: regularly used as I keep hitting them by mistake. One of those things that I'd prefer to know I could change gear if I wanted but really never need to. ZF gearbox is super.

To be honest these are minor issues. It's an absolutely superb car on and off road and the fact I can sit in luxury and comfort and watch TV while waiting for the worst ferry service in the world is a bonus.

Post #169186713th Aug 2016 10:17 pm
Mr.Tom

I use the flappy paddles off road if I want more control.

Plan to fit sump guard which cures the front towing eye issue

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #169187413th Aug 2016 10:27 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Landroverfan1 wrote:
Stop/start is a complete pain. When you stop to reverse into a parking space the engine cuts off and so the wheel jams. I also once had to brake suddenly and then try and turn to avoid being hit by an idiot driver. Once again the car switched off, unable to turn and the driver nearly went into me. I'm all for a system that saves fuel/better for the environment but this one is far too sensitive.

The rotary gear nob: don't mind it but I find in the sun it can really heat up. The sun can also reflect off it which although not blinding, can be somewhat annoying.

Paddle shift: regularly used as I keep hitting them by mistake. One of those things that I'd prefer to know I could change gear if I wanted but really never need to. ZF gearbox is super.

To be honest these are minor issues. It's an absolutely superb car on and off road and the fact I can sit in luxury and comfort and watch TV while waiting for the worst ferry service in the world is a bonus.

This is similar to what I've found on my MY16.

I've had s/s before, on an FL2, where it was fine, but the D4's system is insane - switching the engine off in the middle of tight manoeuvres and often snatching the steering back if it's in the middle of a turn as the power steering disappears. Any minor fuel saving to be had is nothing to the risk of an expensive insurance claim!

I can understand that it's there for a good reason for all of this malarkey (to fool emissions testing and give us all a nice "low" VED rate), but I would dearly love to turn it off now!

I wonder if the previous year's cars (213g vs 203g) were any better?

I don't understand the several comments about paint; while I've no experience of earlier versions to compare it with, mine is a 9/15 build car, with over 27,500 miles to date and I'm yet to find a stone chip. Even bird poo hasn't damaged it. Maybe I'm just lucky?
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #169192514th Aug 2016 7:39 am
Washwipe

England 

The gear selector knob, no longer have a problem with it, only recently have become used to it without having to look at it whilst selecting D or R by feeling the clicks, it has taken its time with having a MY13 previously, so taken three years to get used to it.

Stop Start, have not resulted to turning it off but yes it's annoying, main grievance is it works via the foot brake, so if you sit at a set of slow change traffic lights and put the handbrake on, take your foot off the brake the engine then starts again Confused
Reversing in to a space can be a laugh, reverse in, put your foot on the brake, engine stops but haven't realised it and then Press the Button to stop the engine so you end up starting it again.

At the end of the day, the +'s outweigh the -'s by a long way.

Post #169197014th Aug 2016 10:18 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Bhà! I drove both but I have not seen all these differences between the 6-speed gearbox with that 8..

More placebo effect????

And, personally, I prefer the stick vs the rotating knob, more usable, more intituitive....
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #169202414th Aug 2016 1:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Washwipe wrote:
Reversing in to a space can be a laugh, reverse in, put your foot on the brake, engine stops but haven't realised it and then Press the Button to stop the engine so you end up starting it again.

I've had a couple of weird occasions where turning the ECO off (to keep the engine running) just as it decides to stop, confuses the system into turning off the engine completely. What's totally embarrassing is you don't realise this until you try to pull away... nothing. And then you can't start the car until you drop into park and put your foot on the brake. Makes you look like a serious numpty as everyone has to wait !!!
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #169206414th Aug 2016 3:05 pm
Dave T

England 

I went from a 2012 to 2016 and love the flappy paddles. I had always had manuals before and don't feel the need for the gear changing if I want to go a bit faster, it gives you more control that I wouldn't use if I had a stick.

The sat nav on the 2016 is a huge improvement on 2012, it is so much quicker inputting anything, and the style I quite like.

I bought an old iPod touch off eBay for £25 and leave permenantly connected so you don't need to keep changing.

There is a lot about the temperature,inside and out, I haven't found any difference to the 2012 model and ext temp seems to tie I with other indications I have cross checked against. Could it be something extra in a luxury over graphite that causes it?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #169211114th Aug 2016 5:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

I've not noticed the parking problems either
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #169211314th Aug 2016 5:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >