MPG?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
VanTheNewMan

United Kingdom 

I know you're talking about D4s, but my 7 year old D3 TDV6 Auto:

20-22 round town (18.5 if sitting in traffic) Big Cry

25-27 motorway

But, set the cruise and reset the computer at start of a London to Southampton I got 30mpg exactly with a steady cruise Very Happy

Post #79025927th Apr 2011 4:03 pm
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

VantheNewman: yes in my D3 TDV6 they were sort of the figures I used to get.... Sitting at 60mph on the M6 I once got 32.3 MPG.... Had to check the engine was still running.... Rolling with laughter

The D4 (In my experience) is marginally better on fuel, but it's not much of a difference there still Censored thirsty!
And upgrading to a D4 wipes out you're financial fuel gains! Sad

Post #79027827th Apr 2011 4:45 pm
VanTheNewMan

United Kingdom 

Got another 3 years at least until I have that concern.... wont be able to persuade the missus to allow me to part with £45k+ (for a D4)... she wants a kitchen extension first!!

Re the Mpg though... the problem is mine is for load/utility/work so 80% town and 20% A road/motorway so I'm averaging only 21-23 Mpg per week.

Post #79028127th Apr 2011 4:49 pm
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

Oh the kitchen... That's been done for me thank goodness (new one fitted 2009 and patio doors and all that)! Think the bathrooms are next on the hitlist Rolling Eyes .... wants all 4 bathrooms done too Big Cry !

Damn kitchen and bathrooms... Nice Defender with modifications for the weekend! Big Cry

Last edited by mickyd4 on 27th Apr 2011 6:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #79028327th Apr 2011 4:54 pm
VanTheNewMan

United Kingdom 

Shame you are in the North East!.... bathrooms are my business!

Post #79028627th Apr 2011 4:55 pm
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

Oh right! So your D3 is you're load lugger then! That's good to see them being used for practical purposes!!!

Use our Disco as a bike carrying family wagon... Last night I cut down my eucalyptus tree and managed (apart from the trunk logs been cut up and strategically placed around the Garden) to fit all branches and twigs But all branches were tied up in bunches and managed to fit them ALL in D4 and take them to the tip!! In 1 trip, excellent!
If I'd had a smaller car I'd have made 2-3 trips so I am SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT!!! Mr. Green

During the week though it sits in a carpark at work all day... With the odd long trip out to a meeting or something!

Post #79028927th Apr 2011 5:01 pm
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Surprised by my d3 on the way to south of France , trip comp was saying 42 mpg!!! And was filling up tank for €80 euros so cheap , lowest was 29 around the beach , on the bathroom side or kitchen ext that was the worst experience my wife put me through , mind you cleared up with the d3 my neighbours were aghast as to what I put in the back , cause their only Chelsea tractors down in london Laughing
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #79032427th Apr 2011 5:44 pm
VanTheNewMan

United Kingdom 

I save the environment too!

Some smug neighbour asked "why have you bought that Chelsea tractor?"...

I have the D3 and a 1.0l Nissan Micra for the wife and school runs etc. So, we off-set the carbon blah blah with the Micra.

If I didn't have the D3 I'd have to have 3 vehicles, or a Van + a big car for the weekend trips and holidays etc and my wife would be driving some 1.8 or 2.0l car around all day in town just for shopping and school runs. The D3 comes out just for load lugs for business and long trips where I get.... 30mpg!!!

Post #79033927th Apr 2011 6:02 pm
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Last night I cut down my eucalyptus tree and managed (apart from the trunk logs been cut up and strategically placed around the Garden) to fit all branches and twigs But all branches were tied up in bunches and managed to fit them ALL in D4 and take them to the tip!! In 1 trip, excellent!
If I'd had a smaller car I'd have made 2-3 trips so I am SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT!!! Mr. Green

[/quote] Mr. Green Chopped one of ours down the other day and shredded the smaller bits, the trunk cut up for burning, now thats Mr. Green both our eucalyptus trees died over the winter Big Cry

Post #79034527th Apr 2011 6:13 pm
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

Yeah if that was the case for me I'd have let's go back to between my D3 Nd D4 I had a Audi A4 Avant our Mini cooper and I was planning on buying a Defender V8 for trips to the tip cycling duties and general lunacy! Mr. Green Needed a practical car for other duties the Audi couldn't do... And winter. Embarassed

The A4 was a B8 (twinkly lights new model) and was quite small I found inside It was like a sledge In the snow (non Quattro)! ... But by buying a D4 I have the capability versatility and fun of the defender I was planning on getting yet also the smooth exec car feel the Audi had... So I have 2 cars in 1 and the Audi did 37 MPG not huge gains over D4 I mean don't get me wrong I really like Audis that was my 5th but it wasnt suited to my

So a D4 works out better for the trees, nearly 30 MPG as opposed to 37 from and Audi and about 4 MPG from a V8 Defender. So through using 2 cars (audi and planned defender, would have used more fuel) And a D4 I can keep for 5+ years! Whereas I can add accessories and stuff to the D4... the defender would have fell to bits, and the A4 would have been sold within another 18 months due to lack of space so it also made more financial sense in a way.

And can carry 7 In comfort ... (usually need 2 cars for that) so more tree hugging credibility

Post #79034927th Apr 2011 6:20 pm
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
command shift

Hi

here a mpg tip

at 66km/hr (you can do the conversion must be around 41mph) turn on the cruise control (cc)
then use the command shift (will not kick down when in cc) you can get it in 6th gear
then sit back and enjoy 50+mpg even on small inclines

this can really bump up your average mpg
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it. 

Last edited by amazing on 21st May 2011 2:18 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #79788518th May 2011 1:28 am
VanTheNewMan

United Kingdom 

Thanks. Sounds intriguing.

But, surely the car finds 6th gear in other normal conditions/way of cruising without CC in command shift mode.

Post #79790818th May 2011 8:05 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
6th

yes it will but only at a higher speed where wind resistance kills mpg. and if you just use the comand control it will first drop a gear.

I don't leave in in command shift just pop it across select 6th then move it back to D but if you do this when not in cruise control it drops a gear automatically (wasting fuel). But in cc no dropping of a gear. also 66km/h is the lowest i can get it into 6th.
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #79798318th May 2011 10:14 am
VanTheNewMan

United Kingdom 

Good tip.

Have a long trip tomorrow and will try.
Thumbs Up

Post #79798418th May 2011 10:18 am
ChrisA

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Faulty Mileage / MPG

I've been keeping track of my MPGees since I picked up the D4 in March. On average I'm getting about 26.5mpg. I also noticed that the D4 estimate of its mpg was optimistic until I noticed that it's getting the mileage wrong...

I reset Trip A every time I fill up and also take a note of the total milage done. I happen to have the last two fill-up info with me today to illustrate:

27th May
Total Miles: 3708
Trip A: 187.5 miles
LR says: 28.1 mpg

1st June
Total Miles: 4055 <-- I did 347 miles from last fill-up
Trip A: 364.9 miles <-- out by 17.9 miles
LR says: 30.4 mpg

As you can see if you go by the main mileage then I did 347 miles on 27th May fill up but the Trip A says I did 364.9 miles, that's a discrepancy of 17.9 miles (or over half a gallon). When I worked out the mpgees based on the Trip A's mileage it is closer to the D4 claimed 30.4mpg.

(This isn't just a one off it's just I don't have whole spreadsheet with me; only the last two entries in my iPhone.)

As much as I'd like the Trip A's result I'm assuming the main mileage reading is correct and have based my average 26.5mpg on that.

Post #8030963rd Jun 2011 8:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >