Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

M+S or Full Winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
nhollandsmith

Poland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
M+S or Full Winter tyres

I have a set of M+S Scorpions on my Disco 3 and want to know if I should change them for Full Winters for Europe???

Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

Post #18882469th Dec 2017 1:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Depends on where you are heading as the law is different from place to place

For example, friends live in Austria and they have advised that whilst it is not a legal requirement to have winter tyres, if you are involved in an accident and do not have them fitted then you are in for a rough (and expensive) ride. Having said that, I have also seen the police issuing tickets to cars without winter tyres.

These days there are so many sets of 2nd hand wheels to be had for a decent price. We have therefore bought a set of winters for both our D4 and D3 - they will get used back here in the UK, and we'll get our money out of them provided no more engines go bang!

I seem to remember that the AA gave sensible advice on what was required in different countries.

PS Milestone 2,000 posts Mr. Green
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Last edited by waterbuoy on 9th Dec 2017 2:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18882519th Dec 2017 1:49 pm
Fireburst

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I would check with the country you are visiting as I believe its a requirement to have full winter tyres in some countries, in the event of an accident failure to have winter tyres may invalidate the insurance.

My family live in Germany and they tell me the above is the case there.

Post #18882539th Dec 2017 1:50 pm
Fireburst

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Oops I did not type fast enough! Laughing

Post #18882549th Dec 2017 1:51 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have been on Duratracs for over 5 years now in all driving conditions from -34 back home and snowed in hard with lots of black ice to very wet and floody in UK (M4 in places is very dodgy after rain) and dry as hell in Spain and I would highly recommend those boots... I do not see or hear the difference in noise unless doing 170 on autobahn and MPG not changes a lot
no point trashing the garage with extra alloys and tires spending extra grand or so ...

In regards to law in Europe only a few countries have mandatory requirement for winters most suggest as advisable in relevant conditions, been driving across Europe for 11 years now and never had a single issue as long as you adapt you driving to conditions

Post #18882569th Dec 2017 2:03 pm
Parmenian

Guernsey 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don’t just check the regulations for the destination country. Check for ALL the countries you’ll pass through.

As previously stated, you’ll usually be fine unless you are in an accident or block a road. Then the tyre type may come in to play if the police get involved.

Post #18882689th Dec 2017 2:56 pm
ds23man

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tour...r-driving/

Post #188843610th Dec 2017 7:17 am
ds23man

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

In Austria M&S qualifies as winter tyre, but they must have a minimal 4mm profile left.

Post #188843710th Dec 2017 7:24 am
stiff

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This should an easy and simple decision - in winter fit winter-rated tyres. Doesn’t matter if you are doing a 3 month tour of Europe or popping down the shops and anything in between. Winter tyres have different compound to work better in lower temperatures irrespective of dry, rain or snow. It’s not just about tread to clear snow.

It beggars belief every year when people in the UK ask “why winter tyres ?” or “should I fit...?” On mainland Europe we just fit them usually for about 5 months the of the year. It’s normal and nothing to do with it being legally required. The weather in the UK is no different.

The only thing keeping nearly 3 tons of metal from sliding anywhere is a small contact patch of rubber...why consider anything less than the right tool for the job in lower temperatures....?

And “off-road” / MTs etc are NOT a substitute! The compound is even harder and goes harder still in lower temperatures.
 MY2008 D3 - It got me hooked...gone
MY2012 D4 - It kept me hooked...gone
MY2007 D3 - Mid-Life crisis toy continues driving me to bankruptcy...
MY2018 "D5" Si6 - But is it a "true" LR...discuss...but now gone
Back in a D4 with a lot of extras.... 

Post #188845810th Dec 2017 8:57 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

As above Thumbs Up

While it may be a large initial outlay, the cost is spread over a longer period of time due to using each set for 6 months a time

Until you have actually used a set of winter tyres in Ice/Snow conditions, you cannot appreciate the difference they make Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #188846110th Dec 2017 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

+ 1 Thumbs Up

My winters are now entering there 5th winter, still expect to get another winter out of them before they get to 4mm.

Post #188850110th Dec 2017 10:18 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

stiff wrote:

It beggars belief every year when people in the UK ask “why winter tyres ?” or “should I fit...?” On mainland Europe we just fit them usually for about 5 months the of the year. It’s normal and nothing to do with it being legally required. The weather in the UK is no different.

Popped out today - 5+inches of snow - and some old boy in a Merc A-class was struggling to go anywhere on a basically level bit of road. "I think I need four wheel drive" he says. "Winter tyres would be cheaper" says I.

My RRS has Grabber AT3 on which are winter rated. SWMBO has Michelin CrossClimate on her Octavia. They're also winter rated although I doubt they're anywhere near as good as a true, heavily-siped, winter tyre. I didn't take the Skoda out in the snow, however. The Michelins are on it in case the weather turns nasty and she's out somewhere in the car. They're just to "get her home". The Grabber AT3 were ok in the snow. Ok braking grip and reasonable traction. Again, no doubt a true winter tyre would be better. Drove slowly, used HDC (and low range on one hill), got around fine.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #188853310th Dec 2017 12:13 pm
carroll493d

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Most people are missing the point here I think.
The question is not about a summer vs winter tyre choice, It's wether to get M+S or winter.
If you go by all the regulation on the continent then M+S is a legally accepted tyre at winter. Yes they are not winter tyres but after going out today on my M+S goodyear wranglers, I'm satisfied that they can handle it.
If they weren't I'm sure the Germans wouldn't allow it and they do.
P.S. I'm going up the Alpes in feb and will be sticking with what I have

Post #188867010th Dec 2017 5:53 pm
tcr4x4

United Kingdom 

Went out with my M&S Pirelli scorpion ATR's. Went out of our lane upto the "main" road and into town without a hitch (we live in the Forest of Dean down a private track off a small road that isn't gritted or cleared and has some pretty nasty bends and slopes).
Came home without much incident after getting stuck behind an artic that was being recovered by a wrecker and various abandoned cars all over the place,and went to park up. I wanted to reverse in to my space so pulled onto a fresh bit of snow and started to back up, only the damn car wouldn't move. Tried every setting, high and low range, dsc on and off.. stuck fast.
Quite embarrassing really.
I can only put it down to the fact the ground beneath is loose gravelly/muddy rock and compounded with the snow that compacted as I drove in, I just couldn't get traction. The wife had to dig me out.

Will definitely be looking into either a set of winter wheels with proper winter tyres or some better all terrains. Not at all happy with the scorpions in the wet either, hit a puddle and they aquaplane like nothing else Ive ever encountered.

Post #188867410th Dec 2017 6:10 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

carroll493
I think that you are wrong!! When it snows, I do not know if you know that here in the north of Spain it snows a lot and we have ski resorts nearby, less than 80 km from here, the road police will not let you drive without chains or winter tires, they consider the M + S summer tires for all purposes
 lost in translation!  
Post #188867510th Dec 2017 6:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >