Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

MY16 D4 Landmark - Start/Stop - General Advice Needed Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DarrenC

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Gary_P wrote:
I should have added that a failing main battery doesn’t cause the eco light to come on, although will affect whether SS works or not.
Cheers

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the response. The local independent is saying that the ss battery deffinately needs coding to the car. I know almost nothing about LR's, so I cannot comment either way !

What I find strange here is, the Eco light is on for 80%-90% of the time, indicating that start stop is not available. On the very rare occasion that the Eco light goes out, the car will still not start stop.

I have paperwork to show a new genuine LR ss battery was fitted, but i will take a close look later today, to see if it a) looks new, and b) shows a date. If it does look new, and is correctly connected, it would seem that this is either the main battery going out, the module issue, or the wire issue.

As I have said before, I do not care about ss, but after spending just over 30k on a car, I expect it to work. If I get any kickback from the supplier, as much as I love the car, they will be getting the keys back for a full refund.

Wish me luck
Darren

Post #218735916th Nov 2020 10:19 am
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Pound to a penny it needs a new main battery as well....
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #218736616th Nov 2020 10:48 am
DarrenC

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Think you may well be right Shocked

Post #218736716th Nov 2020 10:57 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

I'm on my 3rd D4 over the space of 6 years, first was a 2010, then a 2014, and now a 2016. Stop/start has been pretty much non-existent on all of them, I went through a long process of taking it back and forth to LR to try and get it sorted on the 2014 one and gave up in the end (Like you, I didn't care that it didn't work but just felt that it 'should' as i'd spent a lot of money on the car!) My current 2016 model is marginally better than the other 2 but it still doesn't perform as it should, I just don't let it bother me.

I don't get any lights up though, and also just to mention that I find on my current one that stop/start works a lot more when there's little drain on on the electrics (i.e. heating not on full, heated seats off, etc etc).

Post #218737816th Nov 2020 12:20 pm
DarrenC

Thanks for the response Sausage Smile

Read below as the mystery may well have been solved

Darren

Post #218740016th Nov 2020 2:05 pm
DarrenC

Well guys, the mystery may well have been solved.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, so take a look at this picture Sad

Despite me asing the specific question "which battery did you change", and them answering "oh, it was deffinately the ss battery", this is what I have just discovered:-

Resting Voltage (Engine Off):-

Main Battery @ 12.40 volts
SS Battery @ 9.26 volts

I guess the good news is, I have a nice new main battery. I just need to get the dealer to pay for the new SS battery, and keep my fingers crossed it solves the issue.

Thanks for all your help, and I will make sure to keep you all updated.

Darren

Post #218740416th Nov 2020 2:11 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for the update.
I would bet that once the SS battery is replaced whether coded or not (preferebly coded with a BMS reset) the Eco light will go off instantly. Just in case you need to do it yourself or provide whoever is doing it with the info, it is an Exide EK151 battery. Landrover put their own sticker on it and charge £150 or there abouts. Buy it as an Exide and it's £40 ish.
Keep us informed.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #218740616th Nov 2020 2:57 pm
DarrenC

Thanks Gary and will do.

Post #218740816th Nov 2020 3:00 pm
Gary_P

Just in case, one last thing from me (sorry, but this is one of the few things I have direct experience of). Within the first couple of years of ownership, my SS stopped working and I got no warning light. Reported to dealer to resolve under warranty. In the end they did a software update that changed the logic that checks the level of charge required in the battery, so that SS will kick in at lower charge levels. Once this was done, all was good until my eco light came on at just over 3 years old (SS battery replaced) and then it stopped again when the main battery needed replacing at 4 1/2 years old.
So my advice is to check that your car has this software update. No idea what it is unfortunately. Might be on my paperwork if you need it.
These cars are very battery sensitive, so if you are not using it, keep the battery charged up with a CTEK trickle charger.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #218741216th Nov 2020 3:06 pm
DarrenC

Thanks Gary,

If I can get the supplying Mercedes dealer to pay for the work at the independent LR dealer (which they should do), I will get them to check everything over, including the software.

As for the Ctek, this will be an everyday driver, although the office is only 3-4 miles away. The short distances I drive may well cause me problems in the future, but after only 3 days of ownership, I want to get it all working at least once LOL

Darren

Post #218741416th Nov 2020 3:14 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

As you say, good news is you have a brand new main battery Thumbs Up

I would suggest you do get a Ctek charger as the car is not going to like only doing a 3-4 mile journey twice a day - they do like a good run to get everything working Very Happy

Good luck on getting the car to work perfectly - at least once Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #218743216th Nov 2020 5:37 pm
AndyButch

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Darren, I had this issue on my MY2016 Landmark as well, the main dealer had to replace both batteries and then overnight charge them (?!) to make sure all was well with the S/S. They did warn me that it won't work if you have A/C on (it does) or if you're straining the power steering, at least they were right about the latter Smile

Post #218743616th Nov 2020 5:50 pm
DarrenC

ianm27 wrote:
As you say, good news is you have a brand new main battery Thumbs Up

I would suggest you do get a Ctek charger as the car is not going to like only doing a 3-4 mile journey twice a day - they do like a good run to get everything working Very Happy

Good luck on getting the car to work perfectly - at least once Rolling with laughter

Thanks Ian.

I will be buying a battery conditoner, but not sure that i will ever use it to be honest LOL

Darren

Post #218744316th Nov 2020 6:12 pm
DarrenC

AndyButch wrote:
Hi Darren, I had this issue on my MY2016 Landmark as well, the main dealer had to replace both batteries and then overnight charge them (?!) to make sure all was well with the S/S. They did warn me that it won't work if you have A/C on (it does) or if you're straining the power steering, at least they were right about the latter Smile

Thanks Andy, and glads to hear I'm not alone LOL

Post #218744416th Nov 2020 6:13 pm
Gary_P

On a side note, if you're only doing runs of 3-4 miles each way, it's quite likely that you may have issues with the regeneration of Diesel particulate filter. You may need to do a longer run of 40mph+ for 20 mins+ every so often.
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #218745816th Nov 2020 7:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >