Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Nasty shock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
KenR

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Nasty shock

Does anyone know how caravan manufactures arrive at their very precise (and in my opinion, low) payload figures for their caravans? Having just found that ours was way over the MTPL (Max technical permitted laden mass) I looked in detail at how much we are allowed to carry and it is not much!
With the advent of lighter cars I suspect the manufacturers are frightened to put too high a figure in their spec in case it drives away potential customers, but the rather low figures quoted and what I see coming out of some vans, makes me think that there are a lot of overloaded vans on the road..
Our van is a Bailey Pegasus, which was advertised with a Ford Mondeo on the roof, suggesting that both the axle and the chassis are capable of taking approx 1500 kgs, so why the miniscule payload? (total user payload is 216kg and that includes everything, gas, battery, mover, crockery, bedding, clothes, food etc).

On a similar topic, anyone know where the mystical 85% caravan/towing car weight ratio comes from?

Post #115665812th Sep 2013 6:37 pm
anglefire

England 

The 85% comes from the caravan clubs research as far as I know.

They also say experienced towers can exceed this figure Laughing

As for payload, no idea Laughing
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #115666512th Sep 2013 6:53 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Of course they can carry more than stated but, I dare say there is some kind of factor of safety built in but I do see some rather large caravans being towed by remarkably small vehicles. Not something I'd like to do. Have been jiggled around a few times by mine even behind the D3 but I guess you can't blame the manufacturer for covering their backsides.
I've recently read somewhere that you can eat your van reclassified to carry more weight. Think it was in C&CC mag.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile 

Last edited by bigcarpchaser on 12th Sep 2013 10:17 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #115667012th Sep 2013 7:00 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Obviously you can get your van reclassified but the axle has to have a reserve capacity.
My van has a gross vehicle weight of 1600 kg and that's also the technical limit of the axle, so no reclassification for me.

I can load 200 kgs and that is only just enough, I cannot put a mover or airconditioning in.

Regards

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #115677612th Sep 2013 9:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I believe Baile will reclassify your van without much hassle.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #115678512th Sep 2013 10:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The only plate that counts on a caravan is the one put on by the chassis manufacturer, and in the case of an AL-KO chassis it's on the axle tube between the wheels.
As long as the van, when hitched to the car, doesn't weigh more than that plated limit, AND the tyres are rated to take the weight, then you won't get into trouble with VOSA.

Caravan manufacturers plates on the side of the van are worth nothing. They are just a marketing ploy to attract Mondeo Man into thinking he can tow the van - only to find he has a miserable payload allowance. Whistle
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #115682713th Sep 2013 12:06 am
mzplcg

England 

^^^ Exactly. And you would do well to find this for yourself so incase you get pulled in for a check you can point them to the correct plate. My AL-KO twin axle chassis is rated to 2000KG yet the manufacturer of the caravan list it as 1900kg, and that's with the upgrade. Standard it's 1760kg.

2000KG gives me about 400kg of payload, plus what goes in the D3. Even with all swmbo's junk necessary items we've got plenty to spare.

One other point, if the chassis is rated to 2000kg then the tug must be rated to that as well (or more). You can't tow a TA van with a mondeo, despite what any caravan handbooks tell you.

Post #115686113th Sep 2013 8:08 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

The chassis may be 2000 kg but if the axles is (for example) only 1700 kg then that is your limit and VOSA are fully aware of this.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #115690713th Sep 2013 9:54 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

mzplcg wrote:
^^^ Exactly. And you would do well to find this for yourself so incase you get pulled in for a check you can point them to the correct plate. My AL-KO twin axle chassis is rated to 2000KG yet the manufacturer of the caravan list it as 1900kg, and that's with the upgrade. Standard it's 1760kg.

2000KG gives me about 400kg of payload, plus what goes in the D3. Even with all swmbo's junk necessary items we've got plenty to spare.

One other point, if the chassis is rated to 2000kg then the tug must be rated to that as well (or more). You can't tow a TA van with a mondeo, despite what any caravan handbooks tell you.

Yes you can, provided the ACTUAL weight doesn't exceed any limits. If VOSA (or the Police) weigh a vehicle, in this case a car and a caravan, they will be guided by the weights on the VIN plate of the car to start with. If they suspect that the caravan is over its weight, then it will be on the whole the axle weight. But don't forget that the axle limit is just that, noseweight also comes into play as that is not supported by the axle. Therefore if at a weighbridge, the unit should be uncoupled from the towing vehicle to get a true weight of the trailer/caravan.

Post #115691013th Sep 2013 10:04 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

An interesting discussion and one I do not profess to be an expert on. Why is it then, that all those that you would think are an authority in this area, categorically state that you cannot legally exceed the MTPLM? I'm thinking Caravan Club, Caravan Council and others that publically state it is illegal to exceed the plated MTPLM on the van.

Post #115693713th Sep 2013 11:10 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

You should always abide by the MTPLM plate, although there didn't used to be a legal requirement to have one, and many were removed. That may have changed now, as things have been tightened up. If there was/is no plate, then the axle plate would be used.

However, things really are a minefield where caravans are concerned. As has been stated above, you can obtain an upgraded plate in many cases from the caravan manufacturer without any change to the caravan. In my case, I looked into it, but I would only have gained 5 kg! The MTPLM is 1495, and the axle is rated at 1500.

My reply above "yes you can" was in response to the comment that you could not tow a twin axle caravan with a Mondeo. If the caravan is empty, or lightly loaded, providing it's within the capabilities of the car you can.

MTPLM's are calculated by percentage by the manufacturers. I can't remember what the figures are, but when a caravan is delivered, its MIRO now includes things like the step, mains cable etc (i.e. in the original state that it is supplied to the first customer). There then has to be a minimum over and above this figure for other items. Sometimes this isn't a lot, in other cases better. That gives the MTPLM.

Post #115695113th Sep 2013 11:59 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

There is a lot of debate about the interpretation of laws and regulations when it comes to the requirement to display an "MTPLM" plate on a caravan.
Clubs, councils and associations like Caravan Club, NCC, NTTA give statements about the legal requirement to display these weight plates, even mentioning that "since 1982" it has been a legal requirement. However they do not cite the specific piece or pieces of legislation that apply, so it's a flipping minefield.

The link below shows a response from VOSA.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/top...+%2Bweight
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #115700913th Sep 2013 1:25 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Just been and had a look at my Bailey Pegasus 646:

Manufacturer Plate:

Click image to enlarge

And the Axle Plate - as it's a twin axle you can assume it can be doubled:

Click image to enlarge

Now then...............who do I contact at Bailey to appease Mr VOSA??

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #115707613th Sep 2013 3:10 pm
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

VOSA go on two weights, axle weight/s and GVW (Gross vehicle weight)

On a caravan you could easily be under the GVW but still be over weight on the axle/s due to the weight distribution/loading. I deal with VOSA on a weekly basis and although I don't know the answer to this conundrum, I would give the advice to stay under or at the rated weight that the manufacturer has plated on the side of the caravan. Get yourself to a weighbridge, the info can be found on most council websites or by googling, most will charge £8 with a print out slip. Do that with the caravan empty and then loaded as it would be when you're going away. There are more than you think and there will be one near you. Thumbs Up

Our van is plated 1555KG's, unloaded with just the 6KG gas bottle and motor mover it weighs 1400KG's leaving us 155KG's for all our junk (Two adults, two children) and that's plenty, we have the car for most of it. If you feel you need more, get in touch with the manufacturer, they may well raise it for you. Most manufacturers plate the caravans low so Mondeo man can tow them, or at least make them think they can. Laughing

Yes you may be right and the axle loads are what matters, but do you really want the hassle that it will bring by being over the plated weight? At the very least you'll have to move something from the caravan into the car, if you can. Or even worse, your holiday will be ruined, the caravan will be impounded and you'll have a court date to attend. What we really need a a definitive answer from someone who really 'knows' the answer.

And arguing with VOSA is like shoveling snow while it's still snowing! Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #115976318th Sep 2013 10:44 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Is that anything like "pushing sh*t uphill using a pointed stick"? Wink
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #115979719th Sep 2013 1:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >