DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

NaviPlus unit in D3 HSE?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
conanius

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
NaviPlus unit in D3 HSE?

Hi Folks,

Have any of you installed a NaviPlus unit into a D3 HSE with the Logic 7 Audio?

https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-store/2...p171351335

I'd be looking to get the CarPlay, Steering Wheel Control adapter and the reversing camera.

Interested to know how you've got on Smile

Post #22860701st Apr 2022 3:11 pm
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Just seen this. I have it in a D3 XS with the HK audio. It connects to the Aux input, so it doesn't really matter what the spec is.

I bought the Wireless Carplay version, but I ended up just plugging the phone in. We have several areas with really strong RF interference which caused issues with phone calls over the wireless interface as I drove through those areas. On the other hand, lots of Wireless Carplay users gripe about those areas, so it's not just the Naviplus box.

Would be nice if it had an input for an external GPS. We often head to areas with poor GPS coverage and have to put the phone up on the dash to get that reliable.

If I'm listening to radio/CD I have to manually switch across to Aux to hear a phone call.

I added the phone buttons to the wheel, so most of the time I just click and go.

On the whole I really like it. Wasn't cheap at ~$1,100 AUD and had some niggles with the installation, but I'd buy it again tomorrow.

I found the post from iSheez on drive2.ru which pointed me to Naviplus and I bought it on the basis of reading his review.

Post #229748727th Jun 2022 3:48 pm
sol_stevo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

What was the installation like? how long and where did you install the components?

Post #230544325th Aug 2022 7:55 am
BradC

Knocked over the install in a couple of hours. Getting it working took quite a bit longer.

The plug-and-play loom they supplied took power from the antenna amplifier power supply from the back of the head unit, so it would power up and just basically look like it was faulty. Took me a while to measure the supply voltage and see my head unit couldn't source enough current to drive it. I first tapped the power from the back of one of the lighter sockets, but found it was taking a long time to boot.

I ended up sourcing power from the "key in" fuse in the CJB using an "add-a-fuse", so it starts to boot as soon as the key is inserted.

I put the GVIF on top of the head unit, under the Nav screen and the Carplay box is down the drivers side of the console under the central air vent. I bought a much smaller and shorter HDMI cable to neaten that up and all the RCA connectors fro the GVIF are immediately under the drivers central air vent. That's where I plugged the cables for the reversing camera and caravan camera in.

Under the HVAC controls above the drivers side lighter socket I put the GVIF mode selector button, so I can scroll through Carplay->Caravan Camera->Original Nav. It's completely hidden from view.

I got the reversing signal from another add-a-fuse on the 10A fuse for the trailer socket reverse line, and I use that to signal the GVIF and supply power to the reverse camera.

I ran a coax from the GVIF composite output to the RSE input-1, so I can put the caravan camera on the rear seat displays so the kids can see out the back when we have the van on.

The only thing I have to improve is currently when I hook the van up I need to pop the glove box and disconnect the signal for the reverse camera, or when I put it into reverse it overrides the van camera and all I see is caravan.

I tucked the USB & majority of the apple lead into the console under the steering wheel and it just pokes out and sits under the magnetic mobile phone mount.

Pictures would probably help, but I haven't taken any. When I next pull the console off I'll take some.

Post #230547325th Aug 2022 11:22 am
BradC

I said next time I had the console apart I'd take some pics :

The GVIF lengthwise sitting on top of the radio head unit )peeking through the gap. The red and black wires are for the little remote that comes with it. I just tuck it in there so if I need to access it I pop the console off and it's right there :
Click image to enlarge

A tight pic in behind the Nav screen from the passenger side. Just all the cables tucked up neatly behind the screen :
Click image to enlarge

The mess of cables on the drivers side of the screen. This is the pigtail of AV cables from the GVIF, and where I connect the reversing camera, caravan camera and video out that I route to the RSE displays so the kids can get a view of the Van cam while underway :
Click image to enlarge

The Carplay box and its harness :
Click image to enlarge

The Carplay box all tucked away. There's a little pocket there on the drivers side that it sits neatly into :
Click image to enlarge

The mode button that hides under the HVAC console. That allows me to switch between Carplay, Van camera and original LR Nav.
Click image to enlarge

It's not pretty behind the curtain, but holy moly does it make life on the road more convenient and to anyone in the car it looks factory.

Post #232800826th Feb 2023 6:44 am
BradC

BradC wrote:
Would be nice if it had an input for an external GPS. We often head to areas with poor GPS coverage and have to put the phone up on the dash to get that reliable.

I solved the GPS problem also. I found a GPS repeater that came as a pair and figured I could tap off the rear antenna between that and the NAV computer.
Click image to enlarge

The Nav computer supplies 5V to the GPS, and the GPS repeater supplies 5V to its GPS receiver, so I bought a Fakra Y cable, Fakra to SMA cable and SMA DC block. It all looked something like this :
Click image to enlarge

I figured if the GPS repeater was supplying 5V it could be taught not to. I popped the back off, removed the tin shield and did a bit of "rework" resulting in a bit of a strip and re-configuration of R7 & R8. I could have left both out if I didn't want the LED to light up, but a bit of a dodgy made that work. That meant I no longer needed the DC block :
Click image to enlarge

I found a mob on E-bay who'd make cables to order so I had a custom Y cable made. Fakra Male -> Female 200mm and then 1400mm to SMA male :
Click image to enlarge

SMA male cable running up center console, behind cupholder and into the main console :
Click image to enlarge

5V from dash cam DC-DC converter in the roof, and RF connector for repeater :
Click image to enlarge

GPS repeater double sided taped to inside of console :
Click image to enlarge

Now it doesn't matter where I go, if the car can see a GPS satellite, so can my dashcam and phone.

You lot in the Northern Hemisphere probably don't have the reception issues we have down here, but I find with the heated screen there were plenty of spots where the reception on the phone was "sub-optimal".

Post #232812927th Feb 2023 6:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >