Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Nearside Xenon headlight failing - fixable bulb or ballast?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lukeob

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Nearside Xenon headlight failing - fixable bulb or ballast?

Not the sexy facelift Xenon's but 2013 with fairy lights.

I noticed a few days ago reflection on my nearside headlight flickering when turning on.
Just turned the lights on and same again, the light flickers for a while before staying on. A definite pinky/magenta tinge - which from what I've read suggests it's on its way out.

Car is 2013, 96k miles and has had lights on a fair bit as we tow regularly.

Reading a bit on this suggests that rather than a whole new light, a new Xenon bulb and or ballast might resolve...

I have LR Extended Warranty which says Xenon's are covered also. Assume they'd replace both otherwise you'd have very uneven headlights?

Anyone else had Xenon components or even light units replaced under LR Warranty?
Cheers Thumbs Up
 Luke

D4 MY13 HSE Lux 

Post #222762330th Apr 2021 3:48 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I'd suggest bulb ... but as your warranty covers it, why worry ? let someone else sort it. Smile

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #222763230th Apr 2021 4:26 pm
lukeob

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

So after careful review of the LR Extended warranty, Xenon bulbs are ONLY covered if part of an MOT failure with the MOT Insurance included.

As a result - replaced bulbs (both) myself with OSRAM XENARC NIGHT BREAKER. Not as complicated or risky as I thought to replace. For anyone else in the same situation - this page was quite helpful:
https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars/news-and...ery-4/6408

Only thing I found is the description of loosening the bulb is a bit vague:
The bulb is released by simply squeezing in these plastic clip tabs towards the bulb. The bulb is then withdrawn, without any twisting motion.

I found you don't squeeze these clips but looking at the bulb, put thumb and forefinger on each side and rotate the 'arms' anti-clockwise, so they sit at 'quarter to three' on a clock (not ten to four as when locked in place). The 4 x half-round parts in the photo look to be a heat sink-type holder that the holds the bulb in place - that doesn't come out!

Pull straight out but found there isn't a load of slack on the cable so was a bit of careful manoeuvring not to snap the ends of the new bulbs. Once new bulb inserted, rotate the arms back round clockwise to secure.

Unsurprisingly the new bulb was significantly brighter than the original - as expected from 8 years or 95k miles. New bulbs also returns an ever-so-subtle/classy blue tint, without looking tacky.

Always had it in my mind that Xenon units were completely sealed and bulbs irreplaceable - so I'm stand corrected.
 Luke

D4 MY13 HSE Lux 

Post #223065617th May 2021 11:14 am
Bargepilot

Netherlands 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Thx

Thanks for the write-up - with a picture to boot.

Post #23254455th Feb 2023 9:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >