Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

New battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
tomo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi all

I had the D3 booked in this morning for them to test the battery, but I was unable to get the thing started - even by jump-starting from another vehicle. I'll explain the history of the problem:

First noticed the problem about a week ago when I tried to start it and just got some random lights flashing on the dash, doors randomly unlocking/locking and relays ticking.

I connected jump leads from another vehicle, started the engine on the other vehicle and tried cranking the D3 engine. It got further than before - i.e. I could hear the engine try and turn over but there wasn't enough power to get it fully started. So, I left the other car ticking over for about 5 minutes with the jump leads still connected, then cranked the D3 and this time it started fine.

I left the D3 ticking over, stopped the other vehicle, disconnected the jump leads and then took the D3 for a spin. Everything seemed fine. Parked the D3 back on the drive, stopped the engine, left it for a few minutes and started the engine again and it started fine.

The Mrs tried to stargt the car a day later and the problem was back. So, I booked it in at my local stealership for today and this morning I tried to jump start it again in the same way, however this time I get absolutely nothing - no life from the D3, no lights on the dash when I turn the ignition - nothing. Even when the other vehicle is running, connected with jump leads for over 10 minutes, I get nothing.

I spoke to the stealership who were pretty unhelpful, they didn't seem to be able to offer any advice and just said I would need to get the car to them via some breakdown service. The car is out of warranty and I have no breakdown recovery currently (times are hard Neutral ).

Just wonder if anyone has any ideas on what the problem might be? Could it still be a battery problem, or something else?

Cheers Thumbs Up

tomo
 '05 (55) TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #67726328th Jul 2010 10:08 am
tomo

Anyone got any ideas? I can't get the D3 started even by jump-starting - no life whatsoever. Big Cry

Cheers

tomo
Post #67763029th Jul 2010 10:10 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Might be worth getting RAC sorted asap as recovery will be £1/mile x 2, min!

Post #67763229th Jul 2010 10:15 am
tomo

Thanks for the reply DSL. Recovery it is then Sad

Cheers

tomo
Post #67763929th Jul 2010 10:23 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I suggest that as a non techie, someone else may know how to help but sounds like battery is knacked and not accepting any charge. Sad

Post #67764429th Jul 2010 10:29 am
tomo

I'm also non-tech, but the fact that I get no indication of life just turning the ignition on (before you crank the engine) when another vehicle is connected with jump-leads strikes me as a bit weird? I would expect to get some of the dash lights, etc to come on.

Just wondered if there is some master 'ninja' reset switch - or maybe a fuse or something? I reckon it will be drivable to the dealer if only I can get it started Very Happy

Cheers

tomo
Post #67764829th Jul 2010 10:36 am
wslr

As said, the battery can't even hold enough charge to run the ECU's (i.e. 7.5v).

Don't mess about with fancy aftermarket batteries either - Optima etc... From my experience Genuine Part batteries last much longer than fancy ones.

Get on the phone to the dealership parts department and order the correct GENUINE PART battery for the car. Since LR started using more than one ECU in a car(i.e. P38/Disco2), they have always underestimated the required battery and so you will always find the battery part number supeceeded several times to a massively powerful one which will just fit in the space you have. IIRC, the D3 batteries are around 110GBP retail. Ask for your 10 percent off as there is a nice profit margin in there on batteries for the dealer.

You'll also have a load of DTC's in the ECU's on the car so you may have to have them cleared using IDS, although I doubt there will be a problem.

Finally, make sure the alternator is OK. The battery failed like that for a reason so check it isn't overcharging.

Post #67766329th Jul 2010 11:28 am
tomo

Thanks wslr Thumbs Up , yep the current battery that Land Rover fit in the D3 is 950 CCA. My D3 is a 55 plate ('05) and the factory fitted battery is only 850 CCA, so they upped it quite a bit since then.

I'll order the battery from Land Rover, btw The Large One Bow down quoted me £103.64 inc for the part (LR018609), my stealership quoted me £130 Shocked so I'll be knocking them down. I would order it from Nick but couriers can't ship batteries.
Post #67767429th Jul 2010 11:42 am
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds like your battery has died internally from your sequence of events. It does happen even on new batteries.

Remember to start the D3 you need power for the ECU and all the other electronics plus the glow plugs. The glow plugs will take about 100amps. So if your battery is very low or faulty your jump leads need to support that current through the croc clips and maintain the voltage through all the connections. Its a tall order!

Good Luck.

Ian.

Post #67769429th Jul 2010 12:23 pm
tomo

Thanks Ian Thumbs Up

I'll give it another go tonight with some heavy duty jump leads. Spoke to someone technical from the service dept at the dealership who was surprised that I got nothing with the other vehicle connected, he said I should have got 'something' come on on the dash when I turned the ignition on. He said this is very rare which worries me slightly Shocked

Cheers

tomo
Post #67769629th Jul 2010 12:28 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like battery is completely flat. Either try jumpstarting it agian, or remove it and put it on trickle charger overnight at least. If you jump start it again, make sure you do some good miles in it. On a healthy battery, for every start sequence you need to drive roughly 11 miles to put the same amoun of charge back in, so jump starting it and taking it for a spin around the block is not going to do anything.

cheers and good luck
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #67771929th Jul 2010 1:13 pm
tomo

Thanks zarnd - good to know! Gonna borrow some heavy duty jump leads and charger tonight, so hopefully will get the thing to the dealer without recovery.

Cheers

tomo
Post #67772229th Jul 2010 1:22 pm
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Tomo,

If you have a voltmeter check the battery voltage before you put the jump leads on. If its less than 8V jumping it is a waste of time. There is insufficent energy present and you are trying to pull all the starting current from the other vehicle.

Try charging it overnight then jump it to get it started and don't stop it!

Ian.

Post #67776629th Jul 2010 3:55 pm
tomo

Thanks again Ian Thumbs Up I do have a voltmeter, so I'll take it along with me too.

Cheers

tomo
Post #67778029th Jul 2010 4:43 pm
tomo

Just an update on this....the heavy duty jump leads made no difference, so I took the battery out and put it on charge over night. When I connected it to the charger it was showing 2 volts, after putting it on charge all night it was only showing 3 volts.

My uneducated conclusion would be that the battery is 'dead'.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions Thumbs Up

Cheers

tomo
Post #67804030th Jul 2010 9:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >