Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

New battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Think dead is an understatement Shocked Not surprised the jump leads did nothing.

Just another point, when you put a new battery in, check the voltage with the meter just incase something else in the car has caused the flat battery like a faulty alternator thats drawing a lot of current.

Ian.

Post #67808130th Jul 2010 11:11 am
tomo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks again Ian, will do. I spoke to my stealership today who said that my battery charger may not have been up to the job, they said I need a 'special' battery charger for these sorts of batteries Shocked

The upshot is that I've taken the battery over to them, they will charge it with a charger in the workshop and if it has charged enough by tomorrow they will do some more diagnostics on it. If it is definitely dead then I'll get a new battery from them (with the allegence discount - thanks DSL Thumbs Up )

Hope that's the end of it! Then I can move on to:

EPB screamer
Rear hatch not opening
Rear passenger door not locking
Aircon not working
Front suspension knocking

Banging Head Censored

Cheers!

tomo
 '05 (55) TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #67808530th Jul 2010 11:21 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up

Post #67808630th Jul 2010 11:23 am
jimbo81

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ive just had a very similar problem today Big Cry

Just had a new engine put in and been running it for a week now. drove home last night from work with no issue, but this morning, all the dash lights/radio/fans etc came on fine, but turn the key to start and notheing at all. totally dead!!

jump started it fine, drove to bristol, and when i stopped in the carpark, i thought id try and re-start it, which it did no problem. however when i caame back to it 4 hours later, i had the same dead issue from this morning -
a nice chap let me jump it off his car, and got going again. Trouble is i then had to get fuel, which was only about 2 miles away, so i was dreading having to stop the engine, but it started again fine.

i'm guessing its a knackard battery, as it was stood for 4 weeks while the engine was swapped. Will get new battery and go from there me thinks..

id be interested to know how you got on Tomo.. Question
 You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.  
Post #6807367th Aug 2010 11:11 pm
tomo

Just to update anyone who's interested on the conclusion to my problem....

Took the battery to my dealer on the Friday, they put it on their charger all day - the battery charged up OK. Then they did some drop tests on it which also passed.

I went back on the Saturday and they explained what they'd done, but they showed me my old battery and each end of the battery casing, which should normally be flat, were 'bowed' - apparently this indicates that the plates within have expired. They showed me a new battery and the ends of this battery were perfectly flat.

I ended up buying a new 950CCA battery and since then the car has been running fine.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions Thumbs Up

Cheers

tomo
Post #6810209th Aug 2010 9:41 am
tomo

...and to jimbo81:

The first time I notice the problem was when I truned the key in the ignition and I just got random lights flashing on the dash, random hazards flashing, random doors locking/unlocking and ticking from relays. The engine didn't turn over though. I was able to jump start the car at this stage though - after leaving the donor vehicle running for about 10 mins with the jump leads conencted.

After about another week the car was completely dead, even if I tried jumping it from another car - even if I left the donor vehicle running for 15-20 minutes with the jump leads connected - when I turned the key in the ignition I got absolutely nothing, not even anything on the dash.

As soon as I put in the new battery it all came back to life.

I'd check your battery and look at each end of the battery casing - if the ends are slightly bowed then that's an indication that the plates are on their way out/already gone - in which case a new battery might be necessary. I got mine for about £120 from my dealer - this is for the slightly more expensive 950CCA - they also offered me an 825CCA for about £20 less which was rated less than the one that was already in my car, so I went with the 950CCA. If you're in Devon it might be worth speaking to The Large One (Nick at Yeovil Land Rover) - he quoted me £103.64 for the 950CCA (inc VAT) - but couriers don't ship batteries and Yeovil was too much of a trek for me, so I had to get mine locally.

Hope it helps!

Cheers

tomo
Post #6810259th Aug 2010 9:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >