Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

New brake pads /disks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Boby

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
New brake pads /disks

hi all, after using my disco 3 for only 2 weeks (SH approved used vehicle) i have the brake warning lights on. Crying or Very sad

i have checked with "stratstones" about fitting new pads and disks to the car and have been quoted £690 inc VAT.
front disks are fairly rusty and have a good lip on them, so they will need to be replaced. Evil or Very Mad

Allthough they didnt offer to do the job for free (i wouldnt have expected them too but it would have been nice) they have been kind enough to give me a 50% discount on the genuine LR parts from the parts departments. Which in my book is pretty dam good for stratstones. Very Happy

they have checked with the management that my fitting of said parts will not affect the warranty and are going to double check my handy work next monday when the vehicle goese in for its MOT! Razz

so im now going to get the spanners out and have my first fiddle on the disco3... Mr. Green

i will let you know how things go, ease of fitting ect. watch this space Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep
 vehicle history = 6 rover metro's 1 LR discovery 200Tdi
2 LR Defenders TD5, and a Discoevry 3. + 2 ducati 

Post #37824824th Nov 2008 1:17 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

For fitting new pads & sensors all round & new front discs, I just paid £400 inc.

I'm sure that price could easily bettered. My dealer isn't the cheapest, but offers exceptional service.

Post #37825124th Nov 2008 1:21 pm
stevejhunt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

After only two weeks ownership and assuming you haven't been to the moon and back in that time I think I would have been shouting at the Dealer a lot more and demanding that they replaced the discs/pads gratis as they should have been picked up in the pre-delivery checks.
 I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member...........

06 Buck Blue Disco 3 TDV6
84 Marine Blue Series 3 2.25 petrol
06 Silver Audi A4 Cabriolet (the wife's baby) 

Post #37825424th Nov 2008 1:26 pm
flinty99

England 

I agree with what Steve said.

After just two weeks I would be well p Censored d off if I had to pay to get the brakes fixed.

Post #37826824th Nov 2008 2:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

if the dealer wont change them Foc then dont pay £400-600 for new ones.

pad can be purchased for around £80 and it only takes a couple hours max to fit, most of that is jacking up and removing/replacing wheel. there are plenty of threads on it and Gareth posted a sticking with detailed instructions Thumbs Up

discs are easy as well i beleive, but havnt needed to do them yet.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #37828224th Nov 2008 2:21 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There's a ZIp file in my gallery that you can downlaod which has most of the instructions for the pads & adjusting the EPB (You might want to get those done also) Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #37828524th Nov 2008 2:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

flinty99 wrote:
I agree with what Steve said.

After just two weeks I would be well p Censored d off if I had to pay to get the brakes fixed.

me too .... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Post #37829724th Nov 2008 2:49 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

And me!!!

Post #37830024th Nov 2008 2:53 pm
Boby

alls not good

well the saga starts!

front wheels come off fine, as for my 17mm spanner fitting the nut! no chance too wide so back on with the wheel and back to the workshop to grind down a 17 to a suitably thinner size! Confused

back to the barn... wheel off, take off brake caliper, remove and refit sensor, take out the pad retaining clips, no probles so far... then the disks.. i came to find that the caliper mounting bracket will need to be removed in order to take the disks off. i located the appropriate nuts and would you believe it , some kind of new fangled star nut! so that ended the disk replacement. Neutral Big Cry

i nocked off the rust on the rim of the original disk and fitted the new pads, caliper ect no problem, quite a nice design if you ask me, the sensor was no real problem to re fit after i took the two small clips out from the fairing and pulled it aside. no problem, so fronts are now stopping well on new pads.
Wink
then the rear's..

chocked the car... started to raise the vehicle using the jack provided, as it started to get the rear tire off the ground, GRRRRRRRRR the dam thing colapsed, stripping the threads on the jack. so this left me with a jack stuck firmly under the car, that was totally inoperable. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway needless to say i have managed to get the jack out using the vairiable pressure applicator (large hammer) and i am back on the road's Aardvark

I just hope i dont get a puncture as i wont be able to change it!!

Back to the dealers in the morning for a good old moan and (i hope) a new jack!

Land rover's good times.....

i also agree with everyones comments regarding the dealers.... there opinion was that it was fine and had been checked on the pre delivery work sheet and as i have done 1500 miles in it then it was down to due wear and tear!

so total time on job so far... = 6hrs and counting... im just such a professional! Rolling with laughter

Post #37845824th Nov 2008 7:05 pm
Boby

alls good

after my moan at the dealrs regarding the jack failure, i now will have my disks and rear pads fitted free of charge by stratstones. they said it just wasnt good enough, and where very apoligetic. they gave me a new jack and will have my disco in on monday.

Good times. Very Happy

Post #37890525th Nov 2008 5:16 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Alls well that ends well... and a rare showing of sense from Stratstones (base don feed back on the forum).

Post #37890925th Nov 2008 5:20 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

S Censored stones = bunch of robbers.

I would have expected them to have fitted new discs BEFORE letting you have the vehicle - the discs on mine were ever so slightly worn when I saw it before purchase, I mentioned that I'd probably be in need of new discs in a year or so's time, so they fitted new pads and discs BEFORE I collected (only just, by minutes!)
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #37892025th Nov 2008 5:45 pm
bootneck

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have just had a disk damaged either by gravel jammed in it or the it seizing on and have just order a replacement disk from paddock for 20 quid to tide me over until I can get to the mainland to the dealers. they also have set of uprated disks for 99 pounds per pair . worth looking at

Post #37940026th Nov 2008 6:12 pm
Ecosse

bootneck wrote:
they also have set of uprated disks for 99 pounds per pair .

Any details on what is uprated on the disks? - I can understand uprated disk pads Very Happy (which would be worthwhile at the rate the auto Disco3 eats pads) but not the disks themselves Shocked !

Post #37941026th Nov 2008 6:27 pm
bootneck

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

They are vented and drilled disks and the pad are high proformance, I am thinking of changing to them as my automatic disco has been chipped and it takes a lot of stopping Smile

Part No. DA4473

Wide aperture grooves. Special disc alloys UNIQUE to EBC. Dimple hole construction. Balanced geometry.

The wider slot actually draws cool air across the pad surface keeping pads and rotors cooler. They also expel dust, dirt and hot gases better than fine slots which eventually fill with rust and scale and become ineffective in our opinion. The blind drilled holes break down surface gases when braking from speed but do not weaken the rotor cross section as can happen with through drilling, thereby lessening the chance of rotors cracking over time and heavy use. All EBC Discs are supplied as pairs.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DISCOVERY_....0_V6.html

Part No. SFP500140EBC

Heavy duty, Aramid fibre base, tested extensively off road, fade resistance to 650 degrees C. All pads are supplied as full axle sets.

[url]http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DISCOVERY_3/Brakes/EBC_Green_Stuff_Rear_Pads_(axle_set).html[/url]

Post #37974527th Nov 2008 11:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >