Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

New D3 owner - few questions!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
chocobo

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
New D3 owner - few questions!

Hi guys, picked up a 58 reg D3 SE yesterday, looked tidy and straight and was local so went for it..

anyway I came from an FL2 SE (also 2008), and to me the ride in the D3 is noticeably less smooth, no air suspension warnings , goes up and down fine but yeah tend to feel the road a lot more than I did in the FL2 which just glided along... I'm guessing something will need some attention but if not the air suspension where can I begin looking?

Couple of minor things too, neither heated seat seems to heat up, both light up etc but yeah not feeling heat from either... seen a few threads here about replacing the elements etc, just wondered if I'm possibly missing something else I could try first as neither work!

Should the mirrors fold in on locking/unlocking or is that wishful thinking on my part coming from the FL2. They fold with the button manually inside.

I do miss my start/stop button Laughing but otherwise really just prefer the look of the D3, rugged square jaw sort of good looks Very Happy

Need to get the back windows tinted up too looks way too van-like without IMHO!

If anyone has any advice on any of the above that'd be great thank you Thumbs Up

Post #227882114th Feb 2022 4:12 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

First, congrats on your new ride.

On the D3, the mirrors do not automatically fold on locking/unlocking. You can fold them manually, though, if they’re electrical.

About your ride… hard to say but “somewhere in suspension” is a good guess Whistle Mr. Green usually front lower carrier arms, rear upper carrier arms. If clunking on uneven surfaces maybe ARB bushes, etc. don’t throw the parts cannon at it but diagnose. Could be someone installed polybushes on yours and it’s all “normal” ….

Seats. Check check fuse, check feed to heating element in the seats. Hard to say much else.

Most of us do not miss the start/stop button at all to be honest……. Laughing

Post #227882214th Feb 2022 4:19 pm
chocobo

Hey thanks for the reply, weirdly I read the seats weren't fused, but if they are, I should definitely check! Though it does light up when you press the buttons 2 lights 1 light no light etc..

Suspension to be honest I'm scared to even take it to be looked at having just bought it, so will probably live in ignorance for now and hope like you say maybe it's just "normal" for some reason or other Mr. Green

Should have posted a pic too I guess! Pretty standard stuff I think though compared to some I've seen on here Rolling with laughter Weirdly I don't like the body coloured bumpers and front but hey saves on cans of back to black I guess Rolling with laughter Talking of black the car is a nice dark blue just horrible phone camera making it look black!

Am a bit sad I somehow didn't notice it has no sunroofs, the thought of 3 sunroofs was kind of nice! But oh well less places for water to get in right? Cool

Post #227882514th Feb 2022 4:24 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's the best thing about an SE - No sunroof! No leaks! Laughing
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #227882914th Feb 2022 4:37 pm
chocobo

Ah didn't know that was an SE thing to be honest, maybe I'd only been looking at HSE's! But yes as long as everything else is good I will get over the sunroofs, heated seats, start/stop button and mirrors not folding automatically... plenty of other things to go wrong afterall Whistle

Post #227883014th Feb 2022 4:40 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine is an HSE without sunroof, which I never thought of when I bought it. However, after a few months on this forum I'm really glad I don't have one. As it's said here, just one more place for leaks Laughing
Congrats on your new ride, lovely blue! Hope you'll get many a mile of enjoyable driving from it.

Post #227883314th Feb 2022 5:00 pm
chocobo

Thank you so much! I'm feeling much better about no sunroofs already Laughing
Look forward to hopefully tapping in to the massive amount of wisdom here when things do crop up! In the mean time I need to find some mats and a dog guard, and should be good to take the dogs for some proper walks Very Happy

Post #227883414th Feb 2022 5:03 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I also have a HSE w/o sunroof. Different countries had different configs Whistle

Post #227883814th Feb 2022 5:17 pm
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hard to say with your ride comfort. It could also be your tyres. I had some very old (but not worn) tyres on mine when I bought it. The rubber as hard as brick. As said, diagnose before swapping parts or it can get very, unnecessarily expensive.

The arm bushes are quite difficult to visually inspect and some movement is normal if testing with a bar. The anti roll bar bushes are easy to check and easy enough to swap with the exception of the front right needing a bit more work to get to it. I'm not sure what year they changed but the rear bushes could be the old style and need replacing regardless if so.

Lower ball joints also tend to go before the bushes. In my experience, 2 lower ball joints for 1 bush on the front arms.

If you leave it for a while, I'm sure the problem will only get worse and make it easier to diagnose.. that's usually my tactic if I can't figure something out Laughing

Post #228012421st Feb 2022 5:59 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Do you have a good independent close to you ? Might be worth letting them have a look at the car for an hour and see what they think... could save you loads in the long run !
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #228012721st Feb 2022 6:40 pm
chocobo

Thanks guys, tyres look like a fairly cheap brand to me, so could well be partly to blame! I am actually taking it in to an indy this friday for the cambelt/possible oil pump (if it wasn't done on last cambelt change, fingers crossed it was!!) Will see what they think if they can give it a quick test drive Thumbs Up

Post #228022622nd Feb 2022 11:36 am
chocobo

Forgot to say I had the dreaded screaming EPB the other morning, managed to manually release it with the cable, it pulled itself back in and fingers crossed it's been fine ever since Laughing definitely seems to like to have issues then thankfully fix them itself it seems Thumbs Up

Post #228022722nd Feb 2022 11:38 am
Geoff at Drym

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've got a 2007 SE D3 and the ride was becoming a little harsh along with a small clonk from the suspension.. Checked tyre pressures and they were all 40 psi following fitting of new tyres. Reset pressures to 33psi front and 36psi rear and it made a substantial difference. Also my local indy fitted new anti - roll bar bushes and this improved things even more. Small adjustments but with quite big improvements. She's now on 128,500 miles and has just passed her MOT with no advisories. Thumbs Up
 2007 Disco3 2.7 tdv6 SE
gvif with reversing camera
V8 brakes with new EPB module and shoes
Later D4 grille
Alive tuning remap
Mazda MX5
Ferguson ted20 tractor
Hyundai Getz 1.4 (wife's ) 

Post #228023222nd Feb 2022 12:07 pm
chocobo

Hey thanks, to be honest if anything I'd say my tyres look a touch down, unless it's just not possible to support nearly 3 tonnes and still look good Laughing I will check them out today though in case!

Do you remember what you paid for the bushes? I don't want to give them too many ideas as I am already paying best part of £1k for the cambelt etc Rolling with laughter but could certainly ask them as they don't sound too hard to check Thumbs Up

Congrats on the MOT, the one I bought has no advisories for the last 2 years so either pretty decent or a very lenient MOT tester Shocked Laughing

Post #228023422nd Feb 2022 12:13 pm
Geoff at Drym

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My Indy charged me £17.87 plus VAT for the bushes. He also does a complete check on all levels, tyres, lights etc by way of a pre MOT check. He also replaced the corroded anti-roll bar fixings, so the total labour for everything was £120.00 plus VAT. Apprx. 2 1/2 hours work.

He works out of a well equipped barn in the Cornish countryside and also has the latest diagnostic gear. He is also very clued up regarding EPB. Unjamming is no problem and he does it in no time at all.

Best of luck with your D3, when they're sorted they are definitely a high grin factor. Thumbs Up
 2007 Disco3 2.7 tdv6 SE
gvif with reversing camera
V8 brakes with new EPB module and shoes
Later D4 grille
Alive tuning remap
Mazda MX5
Ferguson ted20 tractor
Hyundai Getz 1.4 (wife's ) 

Post #228026722nd Feb 2022 4:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: