Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

New D4 - Sat Nav Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stu66

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
New D4 - Sat Nav Woes

Got my first ever Land Rover two weeks ago - brand new Discovery HSE. Still learning but in most respects absolutely delighted but have only scratched the surface of capability so far. However, one big concern is the Satnav. We went north over Easter and returned to Sussex via M42, M40, M25 and M23 - a frequent and familiar journey for us. I had noticed a few odd suggested routings locally in the days after taking delivery but had read about the 'learning' facility so expected those to improve in time. But yesterday the software was trying to take us off the M42 at various junctions and then tried to send us north around the M25 when joining from M40 - a route which it acknowledged would be much, much longer than the southerly route both in time and distance (the M25 route past Heathrow, M3 etc was, in fact flowing the best I have seen it in ages). We were trying to compare and contrast by reference to Google Maps on our iPhones but couldn't get GPS fix - and now I read on here that the heated windscreen supposedly cuts out the signal - is that really the case. I had read earlier concerns about the satnav but assumed they would have sorted things by now. Is it really this unreliable still?

Post #14547327th Apr 2015 1:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Heated screen doesn't affect GPS fix, well it doesn't on my old D3. Could just be a bad satnav time when not enough satellites overhead and too many down at horizon lever.

As for LR satnav routing, you join a long line of folks scratching their head and wondering why its routing is weird. Thumbs Up

Post #14547357th Apr 2015 1:06 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Welcome and enjoy your new D4
They are fantastic cars, but the Sat Nav is not its best feature!
Mine is 5 years old so it's Sat Nav will not have the improvements of later MY's - but it continually tries to take me a longer route - current classic is if there is a 50 stretch on a Motorway, it will try to take me cross country - often on ridiculous routes - so I generally ignore it and just use it around town

Post #14547367th Apr 2015 1:09 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Don't forget that TMC has a bearing on routing so if in advance it can see that there is an issue e.g. accident with queue then it will reroute ...keep an eye on the colour of the TMC icon to see if it's red at anytime. Invariably by time you get near to where there might have been a problem it has been removed....I often ignore rerouting ...but you can't have it all as TMC relies on a human interaction (from the traffic centre) which may not be as realtime as you would like. Smile If in doubt turn TMC off altogether. Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14547487th Apr 2015 1:29 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The only problems people are having with either the screen or something else in that area blocking gps signals is when using either a tablet with gps or a Tomtom type device. I agree with DG in that it could be the TMC causing a reroute. The other day I was on the A1 and the sat nav rerouted off the A1 along single track country roads and then back onto the A1 further down, I followed it and it did indeed take us back to the A1 about 10 miles south of where we had been, But, I avoided the four car pile up which was blocking both carriageways and causing delays so the sat nav worked perfectly Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #14548027th Apr 2015 3:35 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

My TMC appears to be a bit 'enthusiastic' in its approach to avoiding slow traffic - had some very picturesque trips through the cotswolds when parts of the M5 were slow - would have been great, but took for absolute hours

Post #14548037th Apr 2015 3:38 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Try turning the TMC off and the sat nav gets a lot better! Shocked
(on the M25 the data is so out of date, the jam's usually gone before you get there anyway!)

Post #14548067th Apr 2015 3:46 pm
Stu66

OK thanks guys - I will turn the TMC off and see how we go. I'm pretty certain that it was showing green yesterday as we approached the M25 from the M40 so shouldn't have been plotting an avoidance route. But I shouldn't need to switch it off - if the sat nav on a £55k car isn't fit for purpose (and has apparently been a problem for several years) then I think there is a conversation to be had!

Post #14548457th Apr 2015 5:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

£55k or not you have to factor in TMC has an external human controlling element though ...the satnav is just a machine that recieves the info and responds to what it's told by TMC ...it's not an omniscient being Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14548907th Apr 2015 6:43 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Plus it's a LR satnav, it's had a bad start in life. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ducking for cover. Snigger

Post #14548947th Apr 2015 6:51 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sat nav is a great idea for people that are actually lost!

Post #14548967th Apr 2015 6:53 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Don't have any problem with GPS reception with my TomTom mounted in the middle of the heated screen.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #14549007th Apr 2015 6:55 pm
Stu66

Ha...."it's not an omniscient being"....agreed! I'm not looking for it to guide me through life, just around the dark satanic wastelands of the M25. I'm just really puzzled why its TMC functionality is apparently so far behind the curve (if it really is just that which has been leading the flock astray). The technological know how to have up to the minute, accurate traffic conditions is out there and has been for several years and is being used in satnavs in other premium manufacturers, not to mention smartphone apps. I will see how things develop without TMC but my faith has been tested somewhat!

Post #14549307th Apr 2015 7:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

In truth, the TMC is sometimes very good, but often it cannot keep up with real time situation. The D4 sat nav has many settings that can alter its interpretation of routes. Easy Route and Learn Route are sections you should read in your manual.

Post #14549427th Apr 2015 8:25 pm
ExExPatSteve

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I see it more as a Zen Nav, takes you on some interesting routes... often avoiding holdups (with TMC on) sometimes just because it can.

Having travelled to and from Buckinghamshire to West Wales for MANY years I thought I knew the short or the quick routes... seemingly not.
Having been there and back four times this year the Zen Nav on to check on traffic as much as anything, it consistently took one route there and back... then last weekend a totally different route same overall time but probably as far North as you could go compared to the other route... Trusting to Zen it made a pleasant change and prevented route lethargy on familiar roads.

Still does some nutty stuff though!
 Steve

D4 My15 SDV6 HSE Kaikoura Stone - Coming this week maybe...
D1 My97 300tdi ES Aintree Green - long gone

Changed the country flag ready for next week... 

Post #14559219th Apr 2015 5:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >