DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

New Ford Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
King Java

United Kingdom 2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
New Ford Puma

Has anyone else seen the new Ford Puma?

I saw one yesterday and was so disappointed! It doesn't remotely resemble the original.
Whilst it looks nice in it's own way, it would of been better for Ford to name it something else.

I expect models like the Fiesta / KA / Focus etc. to evolve and look different but it's a real shame for an older model that had such a bespoke look about it not to have a classic update like the BMW Mini / VW Beetle / Fiat 500 etc..... Is it Ford just being lazy and playing it safe!?

Also the two rear Brake and indicator lamps on it were Tiny! More rear end collisions I fear!!

It seems to be a trend for various manufacturing design teams to have sleeker rear light clusters on their models that they forget the safety aspect and cram the lights together producing a very small LED surface area. I have noticed the decline in visibility on a lot of newer models now.

That's why I like my LR's rear lamp clusters, as they are big enough to warn other road users to back off because:- I'm Stopping/Turning/Reversing or watch out for my big ass amongst the fog!!

KJ

Post #216281622nd Jul 2020 9:50 pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Yes, I was hoping for a sporty style like the old one. I used to have a racing puma and wish I’d kept it.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #216284123rd Jul 2020 6:44 am
King Java

I still see the odd one about and they look great. They were a lovely car with a real identity to them.

You couldn't mistake them for any other car, unlike a lot of today's jelly mould doubles and body sharing designs!

It is always nice when a mass producer comes out with a real gem of a design that has an individual style about it!

KJ

Post #216299523rd Jul 2020 5:39 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Another "crossover" with styling intended to make it look sporty but actually just looks like it's trying to hard.

Designers, or maybe it's marketing people, seem to forget that the classic cars, the ones people remember and desire, tend to be simply styled. Today, everything is extra bits, creases, bling. All trying to be something.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #216301723rd Jul 2020 6:33 pm
Rusty_US

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sad but true.......... Embarassed

I have an old Puma "hidden" away in a barn, going to drag it out in years to come when there are only a few left.

Post #216301923rd Jul 2020 6:49 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

I too had a Racing Puma. Great fun but not the most comfortable as a daily driver!
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #216302123rd Jul 2020 7:03 pm
King Java

I'm glad that other folks feel the same about new cars these days. An real opportunity missed by Ford.

You wait until you see the pathetic rear brake light and indicator illumination on it.
It may satisfy the regulations, but totally inadequate for other road users.

Some models having circular indicators incorporated inside the circular rear tail/brake lamp, fine until the glare of the brake lamp obliterates the glow of the indicator!

Even some front indicators being part of the headlamp, again, fine until the headlamp is on and glaring out the glow of the indicator!

Insurance companies will have a rise in collisions and blame poor driving standards instead of poorly designed/developed lamp clusters.

Car manufacturers comply with regulations, but do they ever look at their model from another road users safety point of view!?

Got my rant pants on today Laughing

KJ

Post #216303223rd Jul 2020 8:09 pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 

Overtook one today plodding along at 45mph. It was white and I had a double take whilst looking at the name. I feel I’m stuck in the eighties myself Bow down . It will sell though with clever marketing and deals......
 visiting from www.rrsport.co.uk  
Post #216303523rd Jul 2020 8:14 pm
J77

Scotland 

The Puma IMO is best looking of these little crossovers.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #216303823rd Jul 2020 8:19 pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

The Alcon bells and Rota discs were also a bone of contention. Great when new but rotted alloy callipers and fast wearing discs and pads were a nightmare!
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #216306423rd Jul 2020 9:16 pm
sycove

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just bought one for my Daughter, it’s a cracking motor. The 1.0 Turbo engine with mild hybrid is really good

Post #216317624th Jul 2020 3:15 pm
Hobson

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

When I first saw this new Puma I wondered just what the heck it was apart from really ugly. I worked for Ford for getting on for 28 years and in my opinion over that time the styling of the products just degenerated with each successive vehicle launch. There isn't a single Ford that I'd give a second look in the current line up. Such a shame because dynamically they're right up there but ultimately it's looks that matter...

Post #216890120th Aug 2020 9:39 pm
sycove

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have to disagree with you, I’ve had the Puma for a week now and couldn’t be happier, great looks, clever innovation and a joy to drive.
Also what they have done with the styling on the Focus has transformed the model.
The 1ltr engine is outstanding.

Post #216890320th Aug 2020 9:44 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Hobson wrote:
Such a shame because dynamically they're right up there but ultimately it's looks that matter...

Whoa, really? I'd much rather have an ugly car that was great to drive than a good looking car that was a dog to drive. Indeed, I did have one: the Peugeot 309 GTi. Looks only the designer could love but it was a great drive that could turn any twisty road in to your own private Nordschleife.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #216890920th Aug 2020 10:13 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It was indeed and a great used bargain. Thanks in part to its challenging styling. 😀
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #216891120th Aug 2020 10:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >