Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

New LR4 5.0 HSE owner (W.I.P)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
puchalsw

Poland 2012 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4
New LR4 5.0 HSE owner (W.I.P)

Cheers to Disco owners. I'm member of this Forum since over a week. So it is high time to introduce myself. My LR is still “work in progress”. 2012’ LR4 5.0 V8 HSE, that I recently purchased is undergoing quite serious maintenance.

Car was OK’ed by local LR workshop prior transaction, but I was warned, that compressor, brakes, front suspension, and other miscellaneous items will require replacement. Timing chain and tensioners are sound and still can run for 30k km.
Car was imported from sunny California. No sign of rust on frame and body. Interior is in perfect shape.
Next week, car will be transferred to car wrapping workshop. As explained, body has no sign of the rust, decay, but too many scratches as for my taste. It will be wrapped in white matte vinyl (some kind of sealer will be used to prevent discoloration from dirt and mud).

Question: I was told, that most likely original LR badges and lettering will require replacing. Car will be wrapped in white, with black exterior elements, black roof rack from mp4x4.pl, black alloys, and so should be decals and lettering.
Painting original lettering is not advised. I’m looking for reliable source – online store (with intl. shipments to EU) that will not ruin my already ruined budget.
Im not sure, if I should trust products offered on Alliexpres.
Thank you in advance for your advice

Post #22863643rd Apr 2022 10:13 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Welcome to the asylum, lol, Massive congrats on the new purchase , don’t mind admitting extremely jealous regarding the 5.0 engine , Mr. Green

Bet that sounds incredible, particularly through tunnels Whistle

Ref badges know this company is very well respected , would be great if u would be so kind to share some more piccies once it’s done plse , thks

Hope it helps

https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/land-r...ering.html

Ps, may i ask , what is the cost of a gallon of petrol where u are plse, many thks

Post #22863683rd Apr 2022 10:45 pm
puchalsw

Gstuart hi,

Thanks for the welcome. Indeed V8 sound is incredible. Im switching from "Deutsche pickup" X-Classe with TDI V6 3.0 for this gem, and it is completely different expirience.

So far, I use to say, that humanity should be grateful to British Empire for Barbour jackets, fish and chips and Monty Python... Now Im adding LR... and I will stuborny stick to this, even when the time for my timing chain will come Wink

Thanks for advice on Powerfuluk. I know this retailer, but unfortunately they do not ship to EU Sad

As for the gas prices in Poland. At this moment one has to pay around 1.2 GBP per liter... (4.54 per gallon?) in Warsaw area...
Cheers,

Post #22864194th Apr 2022 11:30 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

hi and welcome

if you need parts try autodoc.pl

nice ride but i guess will be thirsty as hell

one mod I would do to it for sure :

good luck

Grzegorz

Post #22864214th Apr 2022 12:05 pm
gstuart

puchalsw wrote:
Gstuart hi,

Thanks for the welcome. Indeed V8 sound is incredible. Im switching from "Deutsche pickup" X-Classe with TDI V6 3.0 for this gem, and it is completely different expirience.

So far, I use to say, that humanity should be grateful to British Empire for Barbour jackets, fish and chips and Monty Python... Now Im adding LR... and I will stuborny stick to this, even when the time for my timing chain will come Wink

Thanks for advice on Powerfuluk. I know this retailer, but unfortunately they do not ship to EU Sad

As for the gas prices in Poland. At this moment one has to pay around 1.2 GBP per liter... (4.54 per gallon?) in Warsaw area...
Cheers,

Hiya

Many thks , hopefully prices will start to fall, know our gas and electric bills are going sky high , our petrol is around £1.63 per litre, diesel around £1.78 per litre

Apologises as I always thought they did ship to the following countries via there web site

Ref

NOTE: We can ship to the following countries from our website checkout page: Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France Germany, Gibralta, Greece, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jersey, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philipines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, UK, USA.

Must confess when I change my D3 I’ll get a petrol next time, seeing I do such low mileage , indeed ref the comfort of these discoveries, first time I had air suspension and wow what a difference

Lastly because of ur location please stay safe and well and it remains that way

Would be very interesting if u would be so kind to share some piccies plse when u do ur timing chain , Almost forgot , here’s a link for the parts list

https://new.lrcat.com/#!/12728

Thks again for sharing and plse let us know how u get on if they’ve changed there delivery options

Post #22866075th Apr 2022 2:40 pm
puchalsw

Gstuart hi,
Re PowerfulUK - no problem at all. I already found another reliable retailer in UK (LRparts.net) who ships to EU, including Poland.

As for timing chain, my workshop checked tensioners, chains and decided, that servicing now would be premature (minimal looses and wear). But I was advised to "keep an ear to the ground", be vigilant and avoid burning tires.

All mechanical repairs are mostly completed. Worksop is still waiting for the new front bumper (old one had too many fastenings broken), alloys are at the car paint chamber as we speak, new tires ... "on the way (global shortages everywhere), it all takes time (and money), but my goal is clear: car must look like new, drive like new and mechanical be 100% sound.

Then "just wrapping". But I was warned, that when all body parts are disassembled, some minor repairs, broken moldings, fasteners may occur.

Hopefully I two weeks, I will be able to proudly present my LR4.
Cheers

Post #22867786th Apr 2022 2:39 pm
puchalsw

Update on the project. Day 20th from the purchase. Car left LR service garage in way better shape (let's not talk about my bank account)... I will present the list of repairs once the project is over.
I enjoyed V* sound only for 20', that took me to get it to the car wrapping workshop...

This is small business run by my friend. He specializes in car wrapping and car sound proofing. Several years in business, including year in Dubai, where he worked mostly with premium cars.
Although I fully trust him, I asked to be his assistant during the proces. Since it will not interfere with my job, I wanted to witness this, and get to know my new ride better.

During day 1, we worked on disassembling moldings, worked on the list of new clips and smaller moldings that need to be replaced. Car is imported from California - hence most of clips were brittle and broke during disassembly. Few unpleasant surprises though... Such as door handle casing glued with ... black silicone.
Body surface had to be closely inspected for any dents, scratches... these must be repaired prior wrapping.
I was promised, that in two weeks, my Disco will be ready. Until then, Im going to enjoy this splendid UK-made gravel bike, or be on my wife's mercy and her M.Benz pride Smile

Post #228740410th Apr 2022 9:24 pm
gstuart

Bless u for the piccies and update

Great u got the bits sorted from LR , parts , typical as just what u don’t need ref clips etc breaking on u

Looks a very thorougher job preparing for the wrap , bet u can’t wait to finally get it onto the open road for an old fashioned Italian tune up, lol

Thks again and if u would be so kind to share some more piccies plse of it that would be amazing , bless u

Post #228741911th Apr 2022 12:27 am
puchalsw

Not much of the progress to share. At least nothing visually spectacular.
Last night, I got text message with photos of "new" allows. These are genuine but second hand LR alloys , that got new black gloss paint in specialized workshop. New tires are already fitted (PIRELLI SCORPION A/T + Plus 255/55R19). This is my "spring-autumn" set. Once it is put on Disco, alloys, that you can see on the photo above, will undergo same process. But these will be fitted with dedicated winter tires.
In our climate (especially in the part of Poland I'm planing to move during next several months) using dedicated winter tires (from beginning of December until end of March) is rather advised.

Final phase before vinyl wrapping; touch-up job finished and drying. Next is polishing, and cleaning.

I have dilemma, and your help will be very welcome.
Roof rack. I wanted to fit my Disco with original LR roof rack. For me, this design is iconic. It nicely blends with car, it is functional, and will perfectly suite my needs.

Unfortunately, back three weeks ago, it was not available locally. I could order it abroad, but would have to pay premium for delivery, and wait 5-6 weeks. Same with Prospeed flat roof rack.
Si I decided to go for MP4x4
Click image to enlarge
It has this "cyber look", low profile, low weight, and is 60% of prospeed cost.
Yesterday while browsing through online store of local LR dealership, I discovered second hand original Discovery roof rack. Half price of the new, it has been mounted on their demo car, but when car was finally sold, they unmounted it. It will require some restoration, and new paint, for sure. But I already have bran new, unpacked MP4x4 in my garage...
I decided to sell MP4x4 with 10% discount, and go for original Disco roof rack.. What is your opinion?

Post #228780013th Apr 2022 11:25 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Go low profile. The Original LR is not very practical and its noisy.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #228780213th Apr 2022 11:31 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Land Rover Passion do a nice low profile roof rack.
Bought one myself, but as needs changed I sold it on.

Click image to enlarge
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #228780413th Apr 2022 12:20 pm
CIO

Bahrain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Not much to add, except to say: Nice Car!

Looking forward to seeing it wrapped Thumbs Up
 Chris
--
2016 D4 Landmark in the UK. 2014 LR4 SE in Bahrain. 

Post #228804015th Apr 2022 12:30 pm
puchalsw

Cheers CIO Smile Will keep you informed Smile

I’m in the mid phase of the project. All body parts and moldings are cleaned, inspected, and repaired when necessary. But wheel arch moldings got most of the beating. Buying set of new ones, would probably be less time consuming, but I'll pass on this one. If epoxy repairs will not hold, I'll get new set in the near future.

Front grill is cleaned and prepared from painting. It will be painted in gloss black, with vinyl spray. 10 layers sprayed every 15 minutes. Apparently, this creates more robust surface, then regular paint...

Other than that, first parts of body are already wrapped. It is not my job. I can do the cleaning, washing, repairs, but this wrapping is a magic for me. I can nearly put a screen protector on my phone, without wrinkles. So, I’m just watching my friend with gaping mouth admiration...

Post #228836317th Apr 2022 10:26 pm
CIO

Looking good so far. I really like the colour. Reminds me of Toyota crystal pearl. It's going to look great when it's finished. Thumbs Up
 Chris
--

Post #228872521st Apr 2022 8:15 am
CIO

I wish we'd got to see the finished result!
 Chris
--

Post #229943710th Jul 2022 10:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >