Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

New Rolex GMT Master II with iconic 'pepsi' bezel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Phantomf4

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

MarsKy, its a bit of a hike from Taggarts, all the way up Garscube Road and along Maryhill Road. Not a bad idea to walk though as parking is limited outside Martins.

I've been banned by my better half from even looking at Taggarts website, let alone going to the showroom. Im blaming my buddy who just picked up his FFRR from the Glasgow South showroom. It almost turned my head to the other side.....

After all, who needs all around cameras, heated and cooled seats, rear seat TV screens, 4.4V8 diesel power and a serenely comfortable ride? ;-(

Post #126834211th Apr 2014 3:24 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I need 8-speed auto 4.4 TDV8 ever since I was given the Westminster as a courtesy car. And Taggarts have a couple, and reducing in price...
But I saw Digby Jones on TV last night and he started off in the Range Rover but ended up in a D4.
I'll dress shabby so no salesperson comes near me - always seems to work Rolling Eyes

Post #126834711th Apr 2014 3:31 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Phantomf4 wrote:
I've just checked Graham and you're quite correct. In common with several high-end manufacturers they use Valjoux 7750 movements, but theirs are modified to a British design.

As fas I can determine only Glashutte and Lange & Sohne make their own movements at present. As has already been said, the iconic Rolex Daytona famously used a Zenith movement and I'm certain plenty of other makers collaborate too.

My own preference has always been for Omega. If it was good enough for James Bond (from Dr No to Skyfall) and the Apollo Astronauts, I think it'll do for me.

The Seamaster (which have just bought) has a bought in movement, I believe the Planet Ocean have a new Omega movement but the are £2k more than a Seamaster.
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #126846311th Apr 2014 7:24 pm
Dickbrowne

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I'm a big watch fan, as it goes - I mainly like vintage pieces and have a reasonable collection of (mainly) Seiko, Omega and Rolex.

These are my two GMT's - the 1984 (on the left) was made the year I left school, and the other is from my birth year - 1968 Smile

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #12791834th May 2014 7:27 am
Dickbrowne

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

fishinmad wrote:
Phantomf4 wrote:
I've just checked Graham and you're quite correct. In common with several high-end manufacturers they use Valjoux 7750 movements, but theirs are modified to a British design.

As fas I can determine only Glashutte and Lange & Sohne make their own movements at present. As has already been said, the iconic Rolex Daytona famously used a Zenith movement and I'm certain plenty of other makers collaborate too.

My own preference has always been for Omega. If it was good enough for James Bond (from Dr No to Skyfall) and the Apollo Astronauts, I think it'll do for me.

The Seamaster (which have just bought) has a bought in movement, I believe the Planet Ocean have a new Omega movement but the are £2k more than a Seamaster.

All modern Omega watches use ETA movements, but I guess they kind of qualify as "in-house" as both Omega and ETA are owned by Swatch

Quick update on the list of manufacturers (at sensible price levels) who do make their own movements - Rolex, Seiko and a number of Russian watchmakers also I think (I'm sure Simes will be able to confirm this last part!)

Post #12791884th May 2014 7:39 am
kev_blizard

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Still got my Seiko Pepsi that my parents bought me in 1978 for my 18 birhday, it cost then £118 from a shop in Worksop and can still be found on E bay for more than that now

Post #193151929th Mar 2018 7:31 pm
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

So to raise a pretty old thread, I am looking for some advice and help. I have been left some money by my grandmother and I want something to remember her by. I like the idea of a watch and looking for a Rolex (probably out of my price range) or an omega.

I want something that will be timeless (no pun intended) and understated.

Vintage / classic and second hand is an option as well.

Where do I begin?

Thanks
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #214662916th May 2020 10:33 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi.

It’s a difficult one to answer, as watches are a personal thing.

Quick questions to help define something:

1) What’s your budget?
2) Will you wear it daily? Or just dressy occasions?
3) Are there any functions you like? Date function/ Diver bezel/GMT etc?
4) What are you currently attracted to?

To make your budget stretch to get the best piece possible - do consider the second hand market, especially for Omega - as you’ll have a lovely discount Pre-owned, even if they’re unused.

To me. As classic, timeless piece always goes to the Rolex Oyster case and bracelet. It doesn’t have to be a fancy stainless sports model, as the standard Oyster Perpetual offers huge bang for buck, so does the Date Just.

I hope this helps,

Gez.
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #214663317th May 2020 2:32 am
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Gez,
Thanks for responding.

So to answer these questions.
1. Budget of £2-3k not huge in watch terms but hopefully a healthy amount.
2. It will start as an occasional watch but probably end up as quite a regular wearer.
3. Date is key, GMT a nice touch but not sure how much I would use it.
4. Currently attracted to omega seamaster (although thee appears to be a right range of them and more research needed) and the speedmaster, love the Rolex gmt master but realise that is way out of price , intrigued the the panerai luminor and the iwc Portuguese.

If looking second hand anywhere in particular to look?
I presume I should be looking windup or automatic and not quartz mech?

Thanks

Simon
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #214665317th May 2020 8:21 am
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No problem!

I’m a watch fanatic - so I could write and talk all day about watches.

£2-3K is a very nice budget, don’t be disheartened. That’s a fantastic budget.

The only Rolex that will suit your wants abs budget is the Date Just, it’ll be used - but there’s absolutely no issues with that at all. The Date Just is an easy everyday wearing watch with a solid movement and a date function.

However, the Omega Seamaster sounds like it may tick all your boxes and you’ll basically get a brand new one for your budget, or a ‘used’ one that is brand new in the box that someone hadn’t got around to wearing. The new Seamaster is a fantastic bit of kit.

Are you after a watch that has character/vintage looks, or are you after a new as possible watch?

3 top choices I’d probably suggest to you;

1) Omega Seamaster
2) Rolex Date Just
3) Tudor Black Bay (big range of colours and styles)

Speaking of Tudor, if your not familiar with the brand, definitely check them out - you’ll have a brand new watch for your budget and they offer massive value for money. Originally being Rolex’s sister brand, they share a lot of similarities, but now Tudor have parted with Rolex - they’re almost competing with them, with regards to designs.

With this budget, all of them will be mechanical automatic movements - your money will be safe in most of these brands too. You shouldn’t lose much, if any as long as you buy right.
All I would say is just be careful when looking - there are a lot of fakes out there, so if you see any ‘too good to be true’ prices, don’t jump. You always buy the seller with watches and just ask as many questions as possible.

I’m happy to help you along the way Smile
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Last edited by G3Z on 17th May 2020 8:49 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #214666217th May 2020 8:44 am
Luapno

United Kingdom 

have a look here to gauge prices

https://blowers-jewellers.co.uk

Blowers have a very good reputation in the 2nd hand watch market
 When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. All of the pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid. 

Last edited by Luapno on 17th May 2020 9:23 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #214666417th May 2020 8:44 am
Hocks172

England 

My mate owns a watch shop in Brighton https://www.thelaneswatchcompany.co.uk/
He has some amazing pieces there and some very rare stuff. Take a look.
And they love a deal.

previous LR D3 HSE, RRS HST, RR Evoque Dynamic Lux.
Current D5 HSE Lux 

Post #214666817th May 2020 8:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Rolex is my brand of choice (but also have Zenith, Breitlings, Bell & Ross, IWC, etc.).

As said you're into 2nd hand territory in your budget and I'd agree a Datejust or earlier model Airking is likely available in that price. Early Explorer is another option

A touch more and you might scrape an Airking latest model (116900). Really like these but don't have watches without date windows so have resisted so far!

Whatever you do go for, if on steel bracelet check for 'stretch' - hold watch face vertically with bracelet hanging and see how far it bows (curves downwards) under its own weight. Usually a good indicator of usage. A premium brand metal OEM bracelet can easily be £4-5-600.....

However if you want 'new' I'd go for Tudor Pelagos Titanium. Great watches and they also do a 'Pepsi' dial version (red/blue outer bezel). No longer a 'sister' brand to Rolex but great watches.

Breitling, Oris, Longines and Tag also available new and some 'older' model Omega's retained in the catalogue also in budget for new.

Don't be put off by brands you may not have heard of; Christopher Ward and Ball do some great watches and their star is rising (along with prices!).

Their are lots of emerging, and existing 'big brand', names using generic Valjoux 7750 automatic movements. This is your main-stay motor so many people think why pay for a 'badge' if the 'engine' is the same.....

Put 'mens watch' and your budget in something like eBay (filter for strap, date and automatic movement - I don't go for quartz and your budget is more likely automatic - etc.), get a coffee and spend a couple of hours looking at what you like and then research the brands (1000's of online reviews available and YouTube video reviews).

If you do get a 'nice' watch get used to people asking "is it real" and "my mate got a 'genuine' one of them for £16.50 on holiday to Thailand last year" Laughing

Don't worry what it is just get what YOU like, everyone can justify 'their' chosen brands (as I can with Rolex over others for me) but its like buying a car and you cannot really justify more than a ten quid Casio if you think too hard about it Laughing

You've just opened yourself a can of worms here as it can become addictive Whistle

Share what you're thinking and/or get

Post #214673617th May 2020 12:55 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Despite not having worn a watch for over 20 years I found myself following the links to those watch dealers and, before I knew it, another half hour of lockdown had passed.

Think I had better turn off the computer for a while
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #214674817th May 2020 1:33 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

SWR wrote:
.....and the speedmaster.....

Serial watch buyer here and I have amongst others, a Speedmaster Date.
I have the steel-on-steel, pictured below, which should be well within your (maximum) budget, allowing you to look around for another watch.....and so starts the slippery slope Whistle Laughing
https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/Speedm...amp;rank=3

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #214697518th May 2020 10:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >