DISCO4.COM > Africa

New Trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Nico G4-2

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Tow Bar

DOC
I like your - had a look at the BRS one and a few other ones on D3's when I see them.
I prefer the ones that doesn't use the "tow eye" between the plugs - then one can still close the plugs to hide my extra trailer batt charge wires Very Happy

Can Anyone confrim:
Northern 4x4 - use "tow eye" ??
Front Runner - use "tow eye" ??

Doc can they make another one ? or send me detail ?
Any other ones around ?

Tx
Nico
 Nico

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus: Ex-CT Tdi Disco
'05 BOV - Big Orange Van: TDV6 D3 G4 - Hit a COW the animal kind
'11 BBB - Big Black Bus: D4 HSE 5.0 V8 - busy with MODS
'16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
SWAMBO ... Small black number - RCZ 

Post #48160215th Jun 2009 10:11 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Frontrunner uses same as BRS and incorporates the tow eye. I have a BRS fitted one and they did a very neat cut out on the plastic cover and the cover can still be used with the tow bar.

I believe incorporating the tow eye makes for a very strong towing unit, I am just not very happy using the tow hitch (even with a "pin and ball" hitch) for recovery as the hitch now becomes the "weakest link". With the tow eye free of the tow hitch a recovery strap can still be attached directly to the tow eye.
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #48161015th Jun 2009 10:22 am
Bushboysteve

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I saw one at Big country 4x4 that seemed very reasonable @ R1700 exc the ball and pin.
Seemed to be of good quality and very strong, but havent seen any tests etc. Im sure they would be happy to tell you the spec.

I have a pic but am clueless as to how to load a pic onto a post.
 Of course we'll make it... were in a landy!  
Post #48175515th Jun 2009 1:45 pm
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Nico

My unit doesn't restrict the use of the D3's tow eye I normally have a standard (rated) tow hitch attached and not the ball and pin one on the photo. I merely fitted this to tow a friend's skiboat as the trailer has an eye and not the standard coupling.

If you want the engineering shop's contact details send me a PM and I will respond when I get to the offce on Wednesday.

Doc
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #48177215th Jun 2009 2:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nico G4-2

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Tx - Doc , Steve

Yip Doc please send detail here is my e-mail (can PM but e-mail just easier )
nvdiemen @ law .co .za (remove " ")

Steve maybe you can e-mail pic ?

Doc: To understand- your modified hitch can be turned around (so that you hook the D3 Laughing ) to lower the ball for the 6foot std issue SA venter we all have and then as in the pic so that the offroad trailer is at the correct hight ??

Looks like neat solution - it is my 1st choice at this stage.

TX
 Nico

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus: Ex-CT Tdi Disco
'05 BOV - Big Orange Van: TDV6 D3 G4 - Hit a COW the animal kind
'11 BBB - Big Black Bus: D4 HSE 5.0 V8 - busy with MODS
'16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
SWAMBO ... Small black number - RCZ 

Post #48177615th Jun 2009 2:37 pm
Doc

Hi Nico

Quote:
Doc: To understand- your modified hitch can be turned around (so that you hook the D3 ) to lower the ball for the 6foot std issue SA venter we all have and then as in the pic so that the offroad trailer is at the correct hight ??

That is correct Thumbs Up I will email you on Wednesday as I have the contact details at the office.

Doc
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #48178015th Jun 2009 2:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Captain Slow

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Excellent looking set up there, Doc. Can I ask if the trailer tent would sleep all 4 of you in its minimum setup asI'm looking at the same tent myself and can't decide from the pictures. Also how long does it take to set up? cheers John
 Prince Harry's D3: G4 factory equipped D3 - expo rack, winch, roof lights, ladder, active locking rear diff, RAI, Melville & Moon seat covers, General Grabber ATs/ Goodyear Duratrac  
Post #96111831st Jul 2012 9:09 pm
Doc

Hi John
The tent has a double bed above the trailer for the wife and I which is accessed by a step ladder from the tent extention. Two kids can sleep in the tent extension but there won't be much room to change and access the draws & cupboards. If you want the kids to sleep with you in the tent extension then I would recommend camping bunk beds which will take up much less room on the tent floor.

Have a look at www.discobed.com to see the bunk beds.

Regards
Doc
Post #9611961st Aug 2012 7:05 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had the same with all the extras, but I see on their web site the 2010 model
has a multi room extension, see http://www.howlingmoon.co.za/index.php?opt...;Itemid=77
If it still the same design then the room would be zip on to the tent like the rest of the addon's.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #9612001st Aug 2012 7:41 am
Doc

Hi Discoeast, that is pretty neat.

John, I forgot to mention but the entire tent/trailer set up time with my wife assisting is 15-20 minutes.

Regards

Doc
Post #9612031st Aug 2012 7:45 am
Captain Slow

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

thanks Doc,

very helpful. i was looking at the globe master trailers offered by trek overland here in the UK and they seem almost identical to the Afrispoor and are also South African in origin and also use Howling moon tents. i had not seen the bunk beds so many thanks for that tip!

i am basically trying to decide between a set up based on the OZ tent RV5+tagalong tent or the Globemaster for a trip to the Pyrenees next summer.

Cheers
john
 Prince Harry's D3: G4 factory equipped D3 - expo rack, winch, roof lights, ladder, active locking rear diff, RAI, Melville & Moon seat covers, General Grabber ATs/ Goodyear Duratrac  
Post #9616812nd Aug 2012 3:01 pm
Doc

Hi John

These days we have chased our girls (11 & 15) out of the trailer tent and I set up an OzTent RV5 next to the trailer for them.

Regards
Doc
Post #9619013rd Aug 2012 12:00 am
KOOS BEST

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I have nearly the same set up, I use an Afrispoor Mongoose with the same tent but my boys sleep in a 360DEG Turbo tent, I have a 8x6m awning which I erect over evrything.

I have had mine since 2003 and never had a days trouble, I however have my fridge installed in the vehicle.

Post #9636278th Aug 2012 10:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >