Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

New tyre advise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
soundsolutions

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
New tyre advise

O.K, I’m looking for helpful hints & advise.
Probably covered already, but with 11000+ posts & over 900 topics, I have become a little lost, confused & down right puddled.

I have a 57 manual diesel, majority of driving is very wet motorway, with fairly deep, Yorkshire snow on the A + B roads. (In winter)

I know the choice of tyres available, but I’m looking more for personal recommendation.

I’ve had the car 4 month, it now has 20k (11k when I bought it) so looking for something that can withstand a lot of motorway driving.
It has at the moment 235/70/R17 Goodyear Wranglers on, but my concern with these, or it could be the car? is it seems prone to “wander” even with only minimal wind conditions.
& is even worse in the “Occasional” wet I encounter between Yorkshire/Cheshire.

So, anyone any firm gripping, hard wearing tyre advise (17” don’t want to change rims!). & also, anyone noticed the snaking/wandering/almost crossing in to next lane of traffic effect?

Cheers

Phil
 The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.  
Post #50979720th Aug 2009 3:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Found same as DSL's D3 with 18" Wranglers on, absolutely hated them. Now got 17" rims with new Continental 4x4 Contacts and all is well with the world. Use same on my D3 for general & green laning use and waaaaay happy with them. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #50980320th Aug 2009 4:19 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

BFG AT's worth looking at Thumbs Up

Re snaking, If it's on Motorways, is this not the ruts from HGV's.
I had a severe one once east on the M62 uphill between Brighouse and Huddersfield junctions.
At the time, I thought something had gone on the D3.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #50980520th Aug 2009 4:21 pm
soundsolutions

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Conti's looking good, although £300 dearer than Big Dave G4!!!

Ronp,

Not the trucks, it can happen at random, no wind & no trucks! Thats why i wondered if it might be a fault on the car? & i used to drive trucks, so i'm used to the odd 20p 50p 20p 50p twinge! Embarassed
 The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.  
Post #50981720th Aug 2009 4:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
busman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have ben running cooper discovere ATR's for a few month now (235/70/17) they are quiet on the road and i get no wandering etc. The extra grip helps get the caravan out of muddy fields as well. Only paid just over £300 for tyres and £15 each to have them fitted valve and ballanced.

Post #51003520th Aug 2009 10:28 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you just want long lasting smooth quiet motorway performance, then you'll see 40K+ out of Michelin Latitude Tours. I've just swapped to General Grabber AT2s, which I expect to have the same life, but look better and perform better in the countryside. Minimal drop in MPG, but just not worth worrying about given they're half the price.

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #51015321st Aug 2009 12:10 pm
GRT

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've now done about 30k on the Cooper ATR here in Oz and have found them to be better in all conditions than the Wranglers. I went for the 255/65/17s which are only a couple of mms taller (so no noticeable effect on mpg) but look much better with the extra width. Without measuring the tread depth I'd be surprised if there was more than 25% tread wear, and these have seen a bit of rough stuff (lots of gravel, plus rocks, mud clay and more gravel. Highly recommended - and go with the wider version - will stop the Disco looking like it has tram wheels on!

Post #51343931st Aug 2009 5:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >