Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

New winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
opodden

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
New winter tyres

I finally took the plunge and replaced my winter tyres. I have been running the Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice 255/60R18, which is a very good studless tyre. But where I live we very often have snow or ice covered roads, and when it rains there is nothing that can compete with studded (spiked) tyres. So I bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV 5 in 275/60R18. The tyre is stupidly expensive, with a recommended retail price of NOK 5100 (£ 490) each!

Luckily I got a good deal, and I really don't regret it. The difference is massive! Earlier on very slippery surfaces, the ABS would kick in very early due to the lack of friction and it was very difficult to stop even from very slow speed. Now I feel much more confident because the tyres will grip under all circumstances. I haven't measured the difference in stopping length, but it has to be reduced by something like 20-30% on water covered ice. This is a highly recommended modification to everyone who drives often in winter conditions with a lot of ice. The stability on normal roads is excellent, and the difference in road noise is not very noticable.

Post #27029710th Mar 2008 12:55 pm
AlexIv

Russia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: New winter tyres

Its seems be one of worlds top 3 winter tyres. I'm driving Hakkapeliitta SUV 5 in 255/60/18 for second season. I'm also happy with them. Even when global warming ( winters in Moscow becomes much more easy and roads in the Moscow city most time are clear from snow ) Sad So about 80% or mor mileage is wet tarmac with a lot of anti ice reagent. I still saw unclear mark 8 mm at a tread strip. But 6 th mark is in a very good conditions. Smile All studs are at sites.
Seems our retail prices are better ( less than 500 USD each Smile )
 WBR
Alexander (LR D4, MY 14, SDV6 HSE Auto ) 

Post #27148212th Mar 2008 5:04 pm
tcbw

Finland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: New winter tyres

opodden wrote:
I finally took the plunge and replaced my winter tyres. I have been running the Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice 255/60R18, which is a very good studless tyre. But where I live we very often have snow or ice covered roads, and when it rains there is nothing that can compete with studded (spiked) tyres. So I bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV 5 in 275/60R18. The tyre is stupidly expensive, with a recommended retail price of NOK 5100 (£ 490) each!

Luckily I got a good deal, and I really don't regret it. The difference is massive! Earlier on very slippery surfaces, the ABS would kick in very early due to the lack of friction and it was very difficult to stop even from very slow speed. Now I feel much more confident because the tyres will grip under all circumstances. I haven't measured the difference in stopping length, but it has to be reduced by something like 20-30% on water covered ice. This is a highly recommended modification to everyone who drives often in winter conditions with a lot of ice. The stability on normal roads is excellent, and the difference in road noise is not very noticable.

don't a lot of you Norwegians come over to Sweden or Finland to buy things like tyres? We're running Nokian HKPL R SUV's (non-studded) very happily...
 son of less tech-literate 2007 LRD3 owner (unmodified 'arctic frost' TDV6 HSE auto)  
Post #42476919th Feb 2009 10:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >