Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Newbie question- diagnostics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PJHUM

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Newbie question- diagnostics

Hi, I've just bought a 2013 D4- under LR warranty for now. With previous vehicles I've always had an OBDC interface (LM327) and some basic software (Gendan Pro) to keep an eye on things, or to use until I can seek professional help (my spanners are all Whitworth to suit the 80" Laughing )

Probably going to need to keep this vehicle beyond warranty due to cost, so was contemplating getting a vehicle specific set up (to allow handbrake release, resets etc. for 'simple' maintenance). Despite joking I have a nice workshop and a decent range of tools with 30+ years of mechanical experience.

Also, I'd quite like to be able to use the FBH to keep the cabin warm (car is an XS- has the Webasto but not enabled in software)

SO: is it worth my while buying vehicle- specific kit now to tweak some settings, then allow maintenance when the warranty is up, or will I gain relatively little over my ODBII setup? In that case I'll just 'pay the man' to enable the FBH and DRLs...

What do folks recommend for vehicle specific set-up? will any of it work (likely) with a LM327 clone interface?

If I'm wasting my money buying the kit, who is reliable to edit a config file in East Lancs or North manchester?

Sorry for the long post (and if I didn't search hard enough before posting)- and thanks in advance

Peter

Post #152713710th Sep 2015 9:55 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Search for IID tool well spoken of and updates are I believe free so you can update ecu's etc.
Quite dear but a lot lot cheaper option specific for land rovers and jags is the Icarsoft I930 ebay 90 quid option, I have one of these quite good but no programming capability.

Last edited by lynalldiscovery on 10th Sep 2015 4:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #152726810th Sep 2015 4:19 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Most will now go for the IID Tool (BT) but there are others available.

As a single device with easy connectivity, the BBS Nanocom is an OK bit of kit and when used via the Genesis website, will do everything you could ever want.

http://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/

For a better user interface (iPhone, iPad and Android), the IID unit is very good but more restrictive than the Nanocom in terms of it's VIN free for the model type and has full access to flash files etc. Some IID ecu files ie. transmission, are normally at additional cost

http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/

Me ?? I've got both Whistle

Steve

PS. Beware the 2.7 tonne paperweight Rolling with laughter

Post #152726910th Sep 2015 4:19 pm
PJHUM

Thanks for the replies; I'll probably investigate the IID Tool then- What I have produces decent readout/capture of 'standard' diagnostic data stream albeit down a cable to a laptop so if I'm going to spend I would want to be able to program.

It is then a choice of buy the kit vs. pay for feature unlocking. At risk of being rude, what do people generally charge for feature unlocking (I've not got PM rights yet to ask a sponsor directly)?

Cheers

Peter

Post #152727610th Sep 2015 4:32 pm
PJHUM

Just to follow up - Bought the IID tool direct. Excellent service, excellent tool.

Enabled Timed Climate and Reversing camera no problems; would recommend unreservedly as better than previous manufacturer-specific setups I've had (e.g. VAG-Com) and much more use than basic ODBII

Thanks for the advice- excellent forum.

Peter

Post #154443214th Oct 2015 9:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >