Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Newbie with a broken crankshaft - advice needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

al cope wrote:
if the crank had broken, wouldnt you have heard a beedin big bang, and horrible metalic noises?

Al

Totally agree with this mail if the crank had broken...lots of strange noises - not just engine die-ing
also the oil pressure would have to be radically wrong for lack of oil (low level) to cause an engine to seize....the pump generally works till the "last gasp"
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #24374911th Jan 2008 6:45 pm
al cope

England 

I've seized a crank many years ago due to loss of oil, but it didnt break it, just grabbed the main bearing shells. Quick regrind, some oversize shells and away we went.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #24375611th Jan 2008 7:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoStu

England 

Loss of oil will overheat the crank and make it seize.

Cranks break due to casting/manufacturing faults (usually early in life), or maybe due to pistons seizing or block problems. When I'm back on days I'll ask the experts.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #24376011th Jan 2008 7:10 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Are you sure its a broken crank? I know some TDV6's had issues with exxcessive endfloat causing the crank sensor to mis-read the trigger wheel and cut out... Wink

Post #24378811th Jan 2008 7:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

BLFarrar wrote:
the oil pressure would have to be radically wrong for lack of oil (low level) to cause an engine to seize....the pump generally works till the "last gasp"
........Before I bought my D3, one of the techies at the dealership warned me never to let the oil level get low on the TDV6, not even anywhere near the lower mark. He had seen a destroyed engine, driven by someone who never lifted the bonnet for the first several months of ownership. A good comparison is- the TDV6 sump holds about 5.7 litres of oil full, at the low mark this doesn't leave a lot to cool things (as Disco Stu says), whereas a similar sized (diesel)engine in the FFRR, the sump holds over 9 litres, so even when low, still has a good reserve of oil left to keep things relatively cool. Admittedly, this was the only piece of information from that dealership that I have found to be useful, in my albeit short dealings with them. Whistle  
Post #24386311th Jan 2008 10:05 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Sure it wasnt the camshaft.
You would think a broken crank on the motorway at 2500 revs
would make a hell of a racket
 Pete  
Post #24386811th Jan 2008 10:25 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Don't be too sure that its oil level related, or that the failure will be give lots of noise:
When the crank on my old 110 broke it did so in such a way that the engine ran quite well for several months without undue noise, vibration or loss of oil pressure. Its final gasp was at the end of a high speed run (well, what passes for a high speed run in a 110 with a 2.5 turbo diesel engine). The break was caused by a significant over-revving event, which started a crack in one of the main bearings, over time this crack propogated until it was too big for the crank to hold together, then it gently parted with total loss of oil pressure and a fair bit of extra noise. Strangely enough when the recovery truck arrived the engine restarted and I was able to drive onto it, but when we got to the garage it wouldn't start, or even turn over!

Obviously what noise is made is very dependant upon the nature of the break, where it is and what the engine is doing at the time.

Post #24392612th Jan 2008 5:26 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

DND3 wrote:
one of the techies at the dealership warned me never to let the oil level get low on the TDV6, not even anywhere near the lower mark.

Point taken....however I wasn't saying you have to run oil to or below the low mark...merely it has to go well below the low mark for oil pressure to falter & reduce to the level it causes (irrevocable) damage to engine.
In the case of a the Engines used for Land Rovers (i.e. some not not their own "make") the one of many things that are re designed & altered is the engine oil pick up point....specifically to allow normal engine operation when the vehicle is at severe "off road" angles. This also means that using the vehicle "on the level" it will keep oil pressure well below the min mark on the dipstick.

(source of info -all pre-launch technical data that Land Rover publish Rover, BMW, Ford/PSA etc)

......also radically overfilling an engine especially a diesel engine (way over the max mark can & generally does cause damage to engine components.

I generally check the oil level each time I refuel...a habit carried over from running older cars that "burn" oil...probably not really necessary...but there you go.
Lots of people I have asked don't even do this....they rely on the level staying OK between services & the oil pressure warning light....not a good practice

On my last car a Disco 2 a fault occurred with the engine oil pressure noticed by a just a flicker of the oil pressure light whist at "tick-over" noticed whilst in a traffic jam...no problem when running. The oil pump was swapped out under warranty as a precaution...evidently the TD5 Strom engine had a fault on some engines the oil pump drive pulley came detached & lost its drive.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #24395912th Jan 2008 11:09 am
Kate

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
outcome

Hi,

What was the outcome? I too am now having the same problem.....

Post #62553923rd Mar 2010 1:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >