Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Newbie with problems (Dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tde

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Newbie with problems (Dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree)

Hi All, Got my D3 V8 in December and have been very impressed (my 1st 4x4), but I have some issues. I have trawled the forum for answers, but here goes....

Did 750 mile round trip to Dorset for Xmas, all fine except sometimes the "normal height only" would come on, seem to be intermitant, but now on constantly.

Went to the Winderemere for New Year, the above now a constant, but on the way home, doing 60 on a clear M6, the dash lit up like a Xmas tree with: "Transmission Failure" "Special Programes not Working" "No HDC" "Transfer Gears Not Working", with the ABS, Brakes & Handbrake (yellow) light all on. The HDC light would flash occasionally with a drop in revs. Stopped, turned car off/on all still there. managed to get home ok and this morning, they are all still there. Could the cause be the battery/alternator???

Also, every morning the front suspension is very low and when people get in/out the car, the rear nearside pump has got very loud (only the last few days). Do I need a new compressor, or could it be just a leak? Also, the car does "hiss" occasionally when you have stopped and got out the car, maybe 1-2 mins after being stopped, is this normal or part of the problem?

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers Tim.

Last edited by tde on 26th Jan 2010 1:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5739154th Jan 2010 2:30 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Your later comment about the "hiss" is commonly know here as "farting" and that's normal, likewise the front end being lower after the car has stood for a day or so, again normal.

As for the other issues, without stating the obvious, you have a problem. If you pm the forum member know as "10forcash" he is a roaving Disco3 forum tech and would be delighted point you in the right direction or come up to sort the issues. Thumbs Up

Post #5739354th Jan 2010 2:55 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the pump has got very loud then there is a good chance that the compressor cover is full of mud / sand. Mine did this just last week and I followed DiscoDunc's PDF (available on the site) on how to remove the cover and clean it out. It made a big difference and now there is no noise.

It definately sounds as though you have a suspension problem and the first thing I would do would be to clean out the cover. Non techies can do it easily (3 bolts only).
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5739524th Jan 2010 3:07 pm
tde

Cheers Charactor. I thought the "frating" might be normal, but with everything else going on, you never know, and as this is my 1st LR, I need to learn all the "features" of LR ownership! Very Happy

I will pm "10forcash", thanks.

Post #5739544th Jan 2010 3:10 pm
tde

**UPDATE**

I have had the car in @ Durham 4x4 in Bowburn. Great set of of guys there. They found some badly corroded wiring behined one the front wheel arches, so replaced that.

However, within 2 days, my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree again. This time I was sitting in Tescos car park on tickover for 5 mins.

Have checked the battery @ altenater, both OK.

Have checked the wiring behind the battery, looks ok and dry.

Been back to the lads @ Durham 4x4, they can't trace the cause. They can't find anything mechanical, and they have checked the wiring with no success. They cleared the faults and went out on 2 test drives all ok. I pick it up and within 3 miles, all the lights are on again, suspension lowers etc.!!!!

This does seem to be random though. I drove from Durham to Liverpool on Saturday, for the 1st 30 miles on the A1, all ok, and then the dashboard lights again, suspension lowers etc.

Drove back on Sunday morning, all 160+ miles, no problem at all, ran perfectly.

Started the car Monday morning, all the lights came up instantly?!?!?!?

In the 4 or 5 shorts drives since Monday morning, sometimes they come on straight away, sometimes a couple of miles driving before they come on, sometimes they don't come on at all?!?!?!?!?

I have it booked into Team Valley LR for next week, see if they can find the fault.

Very frustrating!!! Censored Big Cry

Post #59045526th Jan 2010 1:35 pm
tde

Stu wrote:
If the pump has got very loud then there is a good chance that the compressor cover is full of mud / sand. Mine did this just last week and I followed DiscoDunc's PDF (available on the site) on how to remove the cover and clean it out. It made a big difference and now there is no noise.

It definately sounds as though you have a suspension problem and the first thing I would do would be to clean out the cover. Non techies can do it easily (3 bolts only).

Found the the cause of the loud pump; it's a bracket that needs replacing that vibrates when the pump is, er, pumping.

Post #59046026th Jan 2010 1:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >