Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

No Engine Power even after EGR blanking ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
blacklab

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
No Engine Power even after EGR blanking ??

Hi, wonder if anyone can explain what is going on with my D3. Started out with intermittent loss of power below about 2000 RPM then acceleration back to normal above that RPM. This was only happening once every few weeks and a good spirited drive usually had it back to normal but I suspected that the EGRs were playing up.

Then last week this developed into a really serious loss of power so that pulling out of junctions etc was hairy and the car wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Also had HDC fault, Special Programs OFF, suspension lowered, Suspension Amber warning, DSC Amber warning, Park brake Amber warning.

Took the car to local LR dealer who hooked it up and pronounced that the offside EGR was coming up with a fault which was probably dragging down the other systems. The dealer cleared the faults and the car was back to normal until the next time I started her up and then back to square one.

Thinking I was clever I took the car to an indie garage to have the BAS EGR blanking kit fitted, the stub pipes were pretty gunked up and I hoped that the problem was solved. Started her up but all the warnings were still there and still no engine power.....

Back to the LR dealer, hook it up again and diagnostics confirm that offside EGR has failed and that will be £200 to replace. Forlornly I hoped that a diagnostic faults reset may help as the EGR was blanked off. Started up at the dealers, still got all the warnings and no engine power. Incidentally whilst at the dealers they had to jump start the car as the battery wouldn't crank her over.

The question is will an EGR failure still affect engine power even with the blanking kit fitted ? Would welcome any advice; as much as I love the car it is causing me some headaches and I could do with some reassurance (especially after the mega bill for it's service and a suspension compressor replacement in July!!) that I am not just chucking money into a D3 sized hole.

Post #7015949th Oct 2010 1:19 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Does not matter what the egr's are doing post blanking, thats the whole point Thumbs Up
Fault code will still show up but can be ignored.
Check your intercooler pipes for delaminating / splitting Thumbs Up

Post #7015979th Oct 2010 1:23 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: No Engine Power even after EGR blanking ??

blacklab wrote:
Also had HDC fault, Special Programs OFF, suspension lowered, Suspension Amber warning, DSC Amber warning, Park brake Amber warning.

Incidentally whilst at the dealers they had to jump start the car as the battery wouldn't crank her over.

Those Dash Warnings and a Jump start normally combined says Batterey is FOOKED........., but lack of power I would have thought the Blanking would rectify a problem EGR as the Induction does'nt involve EGR's, unless the faulty one still needs to be replaced to correct the Electrical fault. Even though the EGR's are Blanked they still need to send the correct signal to the ECU.

Post #7015999th Oct 2010 1:25 pm
al cope

England 

what year is your D3, as euro4 engines cant just have the EGR's blanked. When you fitted the BAS kit, did you remove the intake butterfly (or fix it wide open)

check turbo hoses, as one may have delaminated inside.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #7016009th Oct 2010 1:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blacklab

Hi, thanks for the quick replies. The D3 is a 2005 euro 3 engine (checked the VIN against the BAS recommendation). The intake butterfly was removed and is sitting on the kitchen side.

Could this be a combination of an electrical fault within the EGR unit and a knackered battery ?

Why would an electrical fault within the EGR restrict the power so much ? I struggled to overtake a moped this morning going to the local LR dealer !!

Post #7016159th Oct 2010 2:17 pm
anglefire

England 

I'm going to guess that if you've taken the butterfly valve out, then the EGR can have no further effect on power. And AFAIK there is no direct link into the ECU from the EGR, so it doesn't know its gone (Which is why the Euro 4 engines can't be blanked)

Which means its something else.

As has already been said, check the turbo and intercooler hoses for de-lamination.

Or it could be a fooked turbo. Big Cry As also mentioned I think! Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #7016179th Oct 2010 2:28 pm
blacklab

Fairly sure the turbo is OK as it revs cleanly in neutral, no clouds of smoke etc which I've had before from a blown turbo.

How would I check the turbo/intercooler hoses ?

Post #7016259th Oct 2010 2:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Another possibility is a blocked fuel filter.

Post #7016469th Oct 2010 3:53 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If its the Turbo, a dash message comes up with "i Engine System Fault", and people refer to a Fooked Turbo like I had. No Smoke, No faults present except almost no power.

If thats the case, and you have had that message then its the Variable Vanes in the Turbo stuck shut, therefore NO TURBO, and replacement needed

Post #7016479th Oct 2010 3:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >