Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

No problems so far..........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
No problems so far..........

Apart from a door replaced without quibble when new due to a paintwork fault (a free first service to compensate for the inconvenience)....and the brake warning lamp staying on once until I stopped and restarted the engine, there have been no problems to report after 4,000 miles of steady motoring. Seems as though there may be some advantage to having the base model without all the gismo's.

Overall fuel consumption is around 29 mpg.
Motorway around 32 mpg.
Towing (caravan) generally clocked at 22 mpg.

(However, being the mean old bu**er that I am, I use command shift to get the car into 6th as soon as I get to 50 mph. and keep a wary eye on the rev counter)

One question though....Should I get the oil changed prior to the scheduled first service, which in my case will be at 12 months, seems a long time, although I do realise that modern synthetic oils have a good working life. I have read the thread on doing an oil-change at home and it looks fairly straightforward.

Thanks in advance for your response.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #7231723rd Jul 2006 6:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Don't pay dealer prices for an interim oil change. Just buy the LR filter and drain plug from them, get some Castrol oil from Halfords and do it yourself.
I changed mine at around 4,000 miles, as it was the first on the new engine, but in future I'll change it every 7,500 miles.
This is only worth doing if you plan to keep the car a very long time of course. Otherwise you'll get no benefit from doing this.
 Matt  
Post #7232923rd Jul 2006 11:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I changed the oil & filter at 6k, just out of habit as I've always done this on all our cars.
I bought the Ford branded 5/30 oil (made by Castrol & same as L/Rover) which was very cheap. My dealer did it for me for £70 inc. the filter. Fairly expensive, but I didn't have time/couldn't be arsed to try it myself.
I'm just not happy for oil to be left for 15k miles in an engine that has to work hard. Plus, my engine has only used 0.2l of oil over 6k miles, so new oil isn't being added all the time.

Post #7257424th Jul 2006 10:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >