Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

"Normal height only" intermittent suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You might get away with just new desiccant and filters! Maybe its your lucky day Smile

Post #19709415th Aug 2018 3:55 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

The other option is to dry the existing desiccant out.

I did mine @3yrs ago and it's still OK.

Empty it out into a sieve to get the fine dust out, hoover the pads to remove the dust from them, or replace them, then spread the Desiccant out on a dinner plate and microwave on full power for several minutes, but keep stopping and mixing it about.

You can see it change colour, and when it's all changed colour you're done.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #19709455th Aug 2018 4:04 pm
PROFSR G

Thumbs Up yep did for me too Smile

Post #19709495th Aug 2018 4:13 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Noticed the front of mine was very slow to raise after the rebuild, took the front valve block off and opened it up, it’s basically 3 solanoid valves, they were pretty stuck ! Cleaned it out, new o rings, light spray with silicone spray, reassemble and refit and it’s absolutely fine now.
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #19709615th Aug 2018 5:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PROFSR G

You're getting better at this malarkey Smile

Post #19709635th Aug 2018 5:17 pm
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Unfortunately not my lucky day. After replacing desiccant and filters it is still slow to lift the front. And after a little while driving, again I still get the C1A2064. Looking more and more like the compressor Sad

I have bubble tested the reservoir valve block and it looked okay i.e. no leaks. Maybe it is full of desiccant from my current AMK or the old Hitachi. Is it worth a refurb/replace of this before I go for a new compressor? Am I right in thinking a partially blocked valve block could cause this fault?

I had thought of refurbing or replacing the front valve block (as it is the front struggling to raise) but thought the above fault sounds more like it is to do with the compressor/reservoir valve block/reservoir tank.

What do you think guys? I am running out of time to fix things before a fully loaded trip to the lakes with everything including the kitchen sink!

Thanks

Post #19710245th Aug 2018 9:39 pm
PROFSR G

I think if you're satisfied the reservoir is OK then replacing the desiccant and filters should be seen as routine maintenance, and can be a cheap fix. As is cleaning and renewing the seals in the valve block, my compressor is still going after 10 years with only a new tank and desiccant/filters to have needed replacement.

It seems there is a case for the air moisture content playing a key role in the longevity of these components. One thing is certain though, if your compressor is struggling on the intake side due to clogged filters / desiccant it will greatly shorten the compressors life. Whilst you're at it remove and wash the air filter located inside the L/H boot panel behind the "D" pillar. You'll be amazed how dirty they can become depending on local air quality!

Post #19710555th Aug 2018 10:57 pm
webego

Thanks for the additional tip on the air filter. I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

As I am running out of time and don't want to risk a refurb of the valve blocks not working and wasting more time, I have just bought a replacement reservoir valve block and front valve block from ebay (Maltings made by AllMakes4x4). I'll swap these out when they come on Tuesday and report back. I guess if I still have the problem after these then it pretty much only leaves the compressor.

Post #19710696th Aug 2018 12:11 am
PROFSR G

I hope you're right, but I would have thought it unusual for a compressor to give up so soon after installation.(comments by Narpy duly noted!) You might have to look at the intake side in more detail just to be sure there's no impediment to the compressor's ability to breathe. As far as I know, (and I'm open to correction) the design of this compressor limits the rebuild possibilities, other than that which has already been stated. Very best of luck!

Post #19710746th Aug 2018 2:16 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Doesn't sound too good. Big Cry

If it's any consolation, this replacement comes with a full 3 year warranty if you do need to get yourself a replacement: AMK from AF Link

Good luck. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #19710846th Aug 2018 6:58 am
webego

After you mentioned it I realised I hadn't even thought about a warranty on my current AMK. Turns out there was a 2 year parts and labour warranty from Matford. Unfortunately however I bought it almost 3 years ago. A little longer than I thought but still less than 10k miles in that time so I will still be very disappointed if it is the compressor that is goosed.

Post #19713727th Aug 2018 12:16 am
webego

So received new front and reservoir valve blocks today but I have only had time to put on the reservoir block when I got back from work. I did notice a puff of white dust when disconnecting some of the hoses so guessing this was ground down desiccant. Just managed to finish before the heavens opened up properly.

Front is still slow to raise but not quite as bad as before. Hoping the front valve block will improve things too when I get around to changing that. However, after a spin for about 10 - 15 mins I didn't get the dreaded ping and warning light. TBH though, I'm not convinced as the ambient temperature has also dropped a little and might be a factor when the compressor is working hard and overheating. I am half expecting to see the warning again when I go on a longer drive tomorrow....but you never know.

With regard to the inlet air filter PROFSR G, I did locate it and could see from the manual I'd have to remove a few things before attempting to extract the whole filter and hose. But I just wanted to see how to detach the actual filter part at end of the hose from its mooring. Couldn't see around to it so have no idea how it is held in place and didn't want to force it in case I broke something. How is this thing attached?

Post #19716877th Aug 2018 9:30 pm
PROFSR G

Sorry for the late reply webego, the filter is held in place on a rubber support attached to the rear of the bracket which also holds most of the towing electrics. If you grab hold of the cylinder and work it left to right whilst pulling upward the cover will come off. No need to remove the complete housing or anything else (see pic of cover

)

The filter which remains in the carrier can then be extracted and washed in warm soapy water, dry thoroughly before refit. This will not do much for any compressor really, but it might make life a bit easier for an ailing one!

Post #19719688th Aug 2018 2:58 pm
webego

Well, started my journey today and within 5 minutes ... ping ... so no change there then. Still have the front valve block to change over and I'll give the inlet filter a wash now I know how to remove it thanks to PROFSR G.

Post #19721748th Aug 2018 10:42 pm
webego

Well been away for a week and so eventually this weekend got around to fitting the front valve block. No improvement unfortunately. I have taken the intake filter out and washed and rinsed it. Letting it dry out for a day or two before putting back. I did not expect it to be that thick! Assuming what I have is normal, there was a white filter about 1cm or more thick and a grey light sponge which sits on top of the filter I guess to keep it in place. I can't imagine much air getting through that white filter very easily but I guess it must do.

Not expecting any miracles when I put that back in now so reluctantly going to order a another new compressor (must buy myself a set of ratchet spanners this time!)

Post #197554119th Aug 2018 9:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >