Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

"Normal height only" intermittent suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
"Normal height only" intermittent suspension fault

So for the last month or so I get the "Normal height only" suspension fault. It comes on pretty much every time I drive now but never immediately, normally after I have been driving for 5 to 10 minutes. It may be triggered when I corner but I'm not 100% sure of that. Also it seemed to happen more during the extreme cold and then recent extreme heat we have been experiencing. Again I can't confirm that though until the weather cools off.

To give some background context and things I have tested so far :

* I replaced the original compressor for an AMK (along with the software patch) just over 2 years ago but I do very little mileage so it hasn't had to do too much work in that time so I ruled that out as the cause.

* I have removed the fuse to prevent levelling and over a few days of measurements discovered that my front right loses about 1cm per day compared with 0.25cm - 0.5cm per day on the other corners. Whilst I will probably need to address this at some point, my guess is that this leak isn't quick enough to cause the fault.

* I recently had the front lower arms and read rods replaced (thanks Geoff). Not sure if this can have any affect on the sensor positions?

* [Edit] Just to add I also have a brand new battery so can rule that out as causing random faults.

So really I am looking for some pointers on where to go next to diagnose the problem. I'll be driving the whole family and a shed load of camping gear up to the lakes in a few weeks time which is a way bigger weight than usual. I know I can still drive with this fault but I don't want to get the dreaded 30mph whilst away.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me.

G

Post #196830628th Jul 2018 11:32 am
johnlad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

First thing to do is get the fault read, it should point you in the right direction

Post #196832228th Jul 2018 12:28 pm
webego

Thought that might be the case. I just ordered one of these:

Torque Pro Elm 327 Android ONLY [ V1.5 ] OBDII OBD 2 Bluetooth Fault Code Reader

Any good?

Post #196833128th Jul 2018 12:54 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

To be honest it looks like more of a toy than a diagnostic tool. If you're going to run a D3/4 long term you will need something a bit more specialized. This is a good entry level tool https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/icarsoft-mult...35383.html

Alternatively, there is more invasive and capable tools such as GAP IID, Hawkeye, Lynx etc, all of which cost much more. If your experiencing suspension faults which seem to me influenced by weather/temperature/humidity its likely you need to replace the desiccant in the air dryer, as it eventually becomes clogged/exhausted and unable to extract the moisture from incoming air. It could also be many other things, so you will need decent diagnostics to get to the end of it. You pay's your money and takes your chances Smile

Post #196834428th Jul 2018 1:59 pm
webego

Thanks for the tips guys.

So I have been out in the disco a couple of times today in much cooler weather but the fault persists. I also noticed today that it took longer than usual (20-30 seconds?) to raise the front to offroad height. On my return I found my OBDII had been delivered so jumped back in the disco to try it out. These are the three faults listed:

U015587: Which I gather is "CAN communication with instrument cluster - fault in CAn communication". I have read in a couple of places this isn't one to worry about and is extremely common. Curious though if this relates to my permanent state of "Phone Mode" but I'll pick that up at a later date in another thread.

C1A2064: This I guess is the main issue but from what I have read in another thread here, this code could relate to a whole bunch of different issues around the air suspension so I don't feel like I am any closer to narrowing this down.

U013287: Some have shown this as "CAN communication to abs/asr/esp missing message" and also "Lost Communication with Ride Level Control Module (RLCM)". Can only guess this is a symptom of the above fault?

As mentioned earlier I only fitted the new AMK approx 2 and bit years ago and in that time only done about 8-9K miles so surely this can't be the problem?

Can anyone direct me on the best process of elimination to narrow this down short of replacing all parts involved?

Post #196881729th Jul 2018 10:54 pm
jayoi

United States 

it is most likely some air leaky around the system but really hard to determine exactly where it is.
I have the same problem and had been with it a while. Some mechanics just said let it go... But will leave it in some garage shop to get a detailed analysis.

Post #196948631st Jul 2018 9:01 pm
webego

Well as the disco is dropping dramatically quick I'm going to rule out the struts for now (although I'm sure the must be on their last legs). I'm also going to rule out the valves for the same reason (I guess both sides of either the front or the back would have gone done together if there was a leak here?) The fault C1A2064 specifically says "pressure increases too slowly while filling reservoir" which I gather normally means a problem with the compressor. But as stated this has done very little mileage so surely it can't be completely shot. I have taken PROFSR G's advice and bought an AMK dryer repair kit of Ebay. It didn't do much for my old hitatchi compressor but that had seen a lot of service so hopefully we'll have some more success here.

Not looking forward to that top bolt again!

Whilst I'm on I'll check the reservoir valve and tank for leaks with some soapy water.

Post #196953131st Jul 2018 10:46 pm
johnlad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Lower the air reservoir and check for leaks, normally on the top around the seam.
Quite a common problem

Post #196953231st Jul 2018 10:54 pm
webego

The tanks itself? i.e. not the reservoir valve block next to the compressor.

:Edit: Actually yes, I have seen some photos of the tanks where they are almost always rusted more on the top.

Post #196953731st Jul 2018 11:12 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I strongly suspect your compressor is goosed.
If it ain't leaking, it's fecked. Big Cry

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #196954731st Jul 2018 11:39 pm
webego

I fitted the new AMK approx 2 and bit years ago and in that time only done about 8-9K miles so my thinking was that it surely can't be goosed yet ... right?

Post #196954931st Jul 2018 11:42 pm
Narpy

Some of the AMK's have been reported to last a little over 12 months. Big Cry
You're clearly lacking pressure with the slow to fill error so be prepared to, at the very least, overhaul the AMK or ultimately replace it.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #196955031st Jul 2018 11:49 pm
webego

What? 12 months? WTF?

Okay ... calmed down now. That's not fit for purpose though!

Well I guess I'll know soon enough (Saturday) after I replace the desiccant and bubble check for any leaks. If it is worst case and I need to replace the compressor again, is AMK still the best choice or is there another better alternative out there?

Post #196955131st Jul 2018 11:55 pm
Narpy

Check a few posts, have a read and hope for the best.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #19695521st Aug 2018 12:11 am
webego

Thanks for the How To from furnitureman https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/replace-air...52697.html I swapped out the air reservoir tank. Just make sure you have the right bolts, M8 not M6 Laughing

The first bolt I tried to remove turned twice then rounded off. Had to use a six sided socket to move it again then it sheared off. The second front bolt also sheared off and the two back ones came off without issue. Lowered the tank and loosened the Voss connector. After it was drained I tried and failed to remove the collet from the hose. Just wouldn't budge and I didn't want to shorten the hose by cutting if off as it is already a bit tight in there so had to leave the existing one on.

Old tank was fairly badly rusted in places, mostly at the front end and on top. Got the new one in after a bit of wriggling around and adjusting the tangs. Haven't had the fault light come on again yet but I still got a warning that the front was taking too long to come up. Looks like I will still have to refurb the AMK and hope that resolves my issue. Off to remove the compressor!

Post #19708925th Aug 2018 11:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >