Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Not Starting - lights switching / clicking sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SietzeA

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Not Starting - lights switching / clicking sound

Disco 4 doesn't start anymore... Confused Tried to charge the battery for 24 hours but didn't help.... Jump start from another car didn't help either, albeit it does slightly more (when start from the car battery it is almost fully dead and when jump start the entertainment system works etc). When I try to jump start then lights on dashboard and doorlights flicker for a few seconds but it doesn't crank the engine. I tried to press the brake pedal very hard as well putting the key fob close to the steering column. Tried many things and car shops seem all full in the area!

Any suggestions?

Post #225639310th Oct 2021 6:35 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

When using jump leads, you need to ensure that the "donor" car is running for a bit and get someone to give it a good rev as you try and start your Disco. But if your battery is really knackered (technical expression) you will be onto a loser anyway. The first thing I'd do is invest in a new battery I think, chances are that'll cure things. Modern batteries can just as easily die suddenly as give you any warning.

Post #225639910th Oct 2021 7:06 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Has the earthing cable from the battery -ve to the body deteriorated ? Check condition, and for excessive resistance (or continuity at least), here first. Or substitute that cable with a jump lead temporarily to see if the car starts.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #225640210th Oct 2021 7:33 pm
SietzeA

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Pedros wrote:
When using jump leads, you need to ensure that the "donor" car is running for a bit and get someone to give it a good rev as you try and start your Disco. But if your battery is really knackered (technical expression) you will be onto a loser anyway. The first thing I'd do is invest in a new battery I think, chances are that'll cure things. Modern batteries can just as easily die suddenly as give you any warning.

Just tried that, had to get my wife in the donor car, but same fault unfortunately... Lights flicker in high frequency. It is almost like a bulb at home not fully working...

The electronics switch on but when i press the start button, lights flickers, gives random error messages etc. and then doesn't turn the engine but can hear various 'clicks'

Last edited by SietzeA on 10th Oct 2021 8:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #225641110th Oct 2021 8:44 pm
SietzeA

DN wrote:
Has the earthing cable from the battery -ve to the body deteriorated ? Check condition, and for excessive resistance (or continuity at least), here first. Or substitute that cable with a jump lead temporarily to see if the car starts.

the visible part of the earthing cable looks like 'new' but not sure the other end. I already tried connecting the -ve to the engine block but didn't help

Post #225641210th Oct 2021 8:45 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

could be the chassis/body strap that has failed. that would explain the electrics not behaving.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #225644811th Oct 2021 7:33 am
SietzeA

Replaced the battery with a new one and that did the trick. Thanks For all help.

The 'old' battery I tried to fully charge and was giving healthy volt readings.. earth strap is in very good condition on both ends. Only exterior anomaly I could find was the 'scar' you can see on the battery albeit I doubt that would have caused the issue. Probably just as some as dead battery, only a few years old (best outcome)...

Post #225655911th Oct 2021 6:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >