DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Not the usual squealing from EPB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mtpollock

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Not the usual squealing from EPB

Hi guys,

My EPB had started the dreaded screech at the end of it's travel when applying the EPB, and became difficult to disengage. With 2 more uses of the car it seized on and would not release so I had to pull the emergency release to get the car back home.

I tried to adjust the EPB brake shoes using Bodsy's guide but found that the wheels / cogs through the brake disc would not turn on either side. I was able to undo the allen bolt on the drivers side and heard some movement, but nothing from the passenger side.

Wheels back on, I jumped in to relatch the parking brake cable by pulling up on the EPB switch, where it made a strange noise. Subsequent engage / release using the EPB switch resulted in a strange intermittent squeal, eventually giving up and showing a brake fault.

Actual link here -

Any ideas? I can't find any mention of not being able to adjust the brake shoes after pulling the EPB emergency release?

Thanks all!

Mat..

Post #21440006th May 2020 1:16 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you wound back the actuator as per Disco Mikes how to guide?

It sounds like it's still at the end of its travel.

Post #21442667th May 2020 1:40 pm
mtpollock

I haven't yet, I was hoping it'd be more simple than that! Like I've missed an obvious step as to why the knurled adjuster won't turn when I've tried to adjust them on both sides?

Post #21442707th May 2020 2:03 pm
pgerman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have just been through this last weekend. You need to unjam the EPB and to say its a pain in the a*se is an understatement. Easy enough though when you know how.

So, I put the rear of the car on ramps, in off-road height and disconnected the battery...you don't want it auto-levelling on your hand while working on the EPB module.

Work from the front of the rear diff, there are 8 screws in the face on the EPB module. Once they're out pull the face of the module off. You'll have to steady yourself and pull hard...I started on one corner and then worked along the top. Once I had done that it was easy.

Right, when the face plate is off work on the right hand side as you look at the EPB and you'll be able to see the brass spindle. Get a pry bar under one of the teeth on the spindle and pull down....hard!

Reconnect the battery temporarily as for the next bit you’re working where you cant get your hand trapped if it auto levels. Have someone pull on the EPB switch whilst you're adding pressure through the bar and it should release. It did for me and mine sounded exactly like yours.

PM if you'd like to talk about any part of this and I'll send my number. Mine is good as gold now. You'll need to strip the rear brakes and at a minimum clean up the EPB shoes and adjusters. Then just follow Bodsy's Brake Bible and you'll be good.

Paul

Last edited by pgerman on 8th May 2020 8:28 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21443027th May 2020 6:37 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

How did you get the switch to work with the battery disconnected - inquiring minds need to know Embarassed

Post #21444218th May 2020 8:10 am
pgerman

I didn’t Razz

Edited to ensure its really obvious that the battery will need to be connected to get the EPB to operate Thumbs Up

Paul

Post #21444328th May 2020 8:30 am
mtpollock

Pgerman - many thanks for your detailed reply! I've got a mate who's got heavy duty ramps so I'll give it a go this weekend. I also thought the same as Globetrotter after reading your first reply, but now I'm happy to tackle it.

Would this help the fact that the knurled adjusters seem to be stuck, preventing me from adjusting the epb shoes?

Thanks all!

Post #21445088th May 2020 12:50 pm
pgerman

Sometimes the most obvious information is forgotten... Embarassed

One you’ve released the spindle you’ll most certainly have to get the disc’s off and take a look at the EPB shoes otherwise you’ll just over wind it again. If it were me then I would replace the EPB shoes if you’re in any doubt as to their serviceability. My adjusters were stuck but I persevered and cleaned them up, greased them and now they’re as good a new.

Like I said, if you need anything, just ping me and I can help.

Paul

Post #21445338th May 2020 2:00 pm
Briscoe05

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I had a similar situation although didn't need to pull the emergency release. Stopped using the park brake as I didnt want to write off the epb module. Jacked the car up and removed the rear discs to find no brake compound on n/s shoes and only 1 brake lining on the o/s. When I replaced the shoes one of the knarled adjusters was stuck but removed and copper greased it and all was fine. As for resetting the epb I did it through my diagnostics machine.
Make sure you follow bodsy's guide, as you need to put the vehicle in i think its mount/service mode. 8) just my little bit if it helps.

Post #21446409th May 2020 9:18 am
mtpollock

Thanks Briscoe and Paul,

I'll tackle it and let you know how I get on. Just hoping I haven't screwed the EPB module!

Post #21447579th May 2020 6:33 pm
mtpollock

Hi Guys,

So I've given up for today cos my neck is killing me and I've ended up stumped! Here's what I've done today :-

I reversed up some ramps, put the car in off road height and left a door open so it wouldn't change the height by itself.

I crawled under from the rear, undone the bolts and took the cover off exposing the brass rod which looks like it's at the end of it's travel. I've tried as best I can to hit the brass rod with hammers and screwdrivers, chisels, pry bars, pretty much every tool I can think of using to shock or force it to rotate downwards. I can't see how it's possible when there is no room for any leverage? I've tried hooking over the top of the brass rod with tools and trying to force it downwards but anything I use just slips off.

A video of progress before I gave up is here -

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Mat..

Post #214676617th May 2020 4:23 pm
Briscoe05

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Looks like you tried a lot. Have you tried a diagnostic tool to reset the EPB. See if it will wind itself back? I was lucky enough to have my own which had this feature.

Post #214679017th May 2020 5:25 pm
mtpollock

I haven't got a diagnostic tool. A quick check of the forums and there's a lot of mentions of the Gap IID bluetooth diagnostic tool, at £438+! Is there a better version or should I just splash out and hope I need it for other things?

Post #214679517th May 2020 5:54 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You will require a diagnostic tool for many things on the LR especially code reading.

Post #214687618th May 2020 12:24 am
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

mtpollock wrote:

I crawled under from the rear, undone the bolts and took the cover off exposing the brass rod which looks like it's at the end of it's travel. I've tried as best I can to hit the brass rod with hammers and screwdrivers, chisels, pry bars, pretty much every tool I can think of using to shock or force it to rotate downwards. I can't see how it's possible when there is no room for any leverage? I've tried hooking over the top of the brass rod with tools and trying to force it downwards but anything I use just slips off.

I have had to do the unwind thing myself a couple of times.

First time was the same as your tail above. I gave up and put the cover back on and carried on without a working park-brake for a few (more) days. Eventually read up again about doing it and plucked up enthusiasm to do it again and it just worked at second attempt. Made a bit of a crack sound and then was able to turn the bar reasonably easily.

The second time I had to do it I gave up as no matter what I tried or attempted I just couldn't get
it. I tried on at least two occasions to do it but with no success. I ended up getting Disco Mikey to fix it when he had the body off changing the clutch and other parts.

Big Cry

Post #214690718th May 2020 8:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >