Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Odd noise, any ideas?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DiscoStevey

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 4
Odd noise, any ideas?

I have noise on my D4, 2010, 93k which is really bugging me but I can't seem to track it down.

The noise sounds like someone blowing across the top of a bottle. You can hear it inside the car, but not with the windows down. The pitch stays constant, only the volume changes slightly as you put more throttle on. It's never deafening, but it's there. It starts as soon as you touch the throttle, lift off and it stops. Rest your foot on the gas to maintain speed and its there, ever so slightly hooting away. It's all the more frustrating because it doesn't do it all the time. For example, it won't do it on the way to school in the morning, but it might do it on the way back. It also seems to match a slight vibration felt through the steering wheel.

I assume if it was a bearing or a rotational noise the pitch would change with revs or road speed. It doesn't do it when stationary, only under load. It's more pronounced when pulling away uphill.

The odd thing is I filled up with BP Ultimate for a change a couple of weeks back as we were off away for the weekend and it only occurred to me when we got back that the noise had gone away. It's returned since...

Performance doesn't seem to be affected and there were no faults logged when they replaced my handbrake module two weeks ago.

It's due a fuel filter change and the BP incident made me wonder, if the filter is clogged could it be the high pressure fuel pump whining a bit? I would expect the pitch of that to change with revs, as it's driven off the crank isn't it?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Oh, and every boost/vacuum hose I can identify and access has been checked more than once Laughing
 Jaguar Land Rover: "Building great cars, badly."  
Post #18748492nd Nov 2017 8:29 am
Mannesson

Sweden 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi

It sounds very similar to the noise I have on my D4. I have tried to do some research, but unfortunatly, I havn´t been able to get to the source. I have visited the dealership, who told me that it was nothing to worry about, but the last couple of weeks the noise has gone a bit worse and it also appears even in low speeds. At first it was only at higher speed (appx 120kph) when I heard the noise.

Here is my thread about the same topic.
http://www.disco4.com/forum/whining-noise-driving-161952.html

Regards

Måns

Post #18775199th Nov 2017 1:14 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

check rear windows fully shut

Post #18776199th Nov 2017 5:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

hope I'm not being too insulting here but could it be one of your air vents ? pitch doesn't change and opening windows fixes it ?

when you went away did passenger vents get opened/closed differently than when you're normally pottering about ? (which i'd guess is solo like most of us ?? )

Post #18776599th Nov 2017 6:33 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I had similar. It was the rear passenger air vents that were partially open. Embarassed

Fully closed or open and all was OK.

Post #18776749th Nov 2017 6:59 pm
DiscoStevey

Thanks for the suggestions but I've fixed it by accident. Turns out its the viscous clutch on the fan. A couple of weeks back I had the fan out to recheck all the pulley bearings, and the noise had gone. Noticed on Saturday I hadn't reconnected the plug for the fan, plugged it back in, noise back as soon as the fan engaged. Disconnected plug, noise goes away almost completely. You can still hear it very faintly if you listen really really hard.

New coupling I reckon! Anyone else had one go? Done 93k.
Post #187944214th Nov 2017 5:38 pm
Mannesson

Sounds like something I need to investigate also.
How do I disconnect it to check whether it is the problem on my car as well. Tried to do a search, but found no guides on how to do this.

Best Regards

Måns

Post #187992515th Nov 2017 8:38 pm
DiscoStevey

If you open the bonnet and look through the back of the fan blades towards the radiator you'll see a cable coming from centre of the viscous clutch. It goes to a plug on the right hand side (as you face the car) of the radiator/fan shroud. Just squeeze the tab on the plug and pull it towards the back of the engine bay. As far as I can tell it stops the viscous clutch engaging although the fan still spins slowly from the drag in the coupling. If the A/C is on the car engages the fan clutch all the time, which is why I think I'm getting much less noise when I unplug the fan clutch. I'm not brave enough to take the fan off completely and drive it just to make sure!
Post #187992915th Nov 2017 8:52 pm
Mannesson

Thanks! Will definitely try this tomorrow.
Have you noticed any difference by just turning the A/C off? I guess it will still run to some extent even though you disengage it, but I think I will give that a try as well. This thing has been haunting me since May, and a straight forward solution like this would be amazing Smile

Regards

Måns

Post #187993315th Nov 2017 8:58 pm
DiscoStevey

I did definitely notice a difference with the AC off but according to the Internet there are so many parameters for the fan to be engaged (oil temp, transmission fluid temp etc) the easiest thing is to unplug it and try it then. I convinced myself it was the AC pulley bearing, because the noise sometimes went off a bit with the AC off, but not always. Just got to convince SWMBO to let me spend another chunk of money on the old girl Laughing

I've been trying to get to the bottom of it for the best part of a year, it's been driving me mad...
Post #187993615th Nov 2017 9:06 pm
DiscoStevey

In reference to your thread, the noise is similar, but I hear it when accelerating from low speed and when pulling away. I think I've read somewhere the coupling limits the fan speed to around 2500/3000 rpm, and it's about 1500/1800rpm I get the most noise. If I'm at a steady 30mph uphill with my foot on the gas I'll hear it too.
Post #187993915th Nov 2017 9:13 pm
Mannesson

I had a look today, but could not find the plug. Would it be possiible for you to take a photo of where it is located. I’m desperate of finding a solution to this.
Drove with the AC off to work today, but couldnt tell a difference.

Post #188034016th Nov 2017 9:58 pm
DiscoStevey

So you can see the blue plug in the middle of the pic, mine is RHD, don't know if it makes a difference if yours isn't.

Click image to enlarge

Underneath the blue plug, mine is disconnected here:

Click image to enlarge

Closer view (connected back up):

plug disconnected

Post #188052617th Nov 2017 1:57 pm
Mannesson

Unfortunately, this didn't help for me. I´m having the noise checked by the second authorized garage tomorrow when they are changing the timing belt. Don't have any high hopes though......

Post #18866204th Dec 2017 9:01 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I have similar but im almost sure its road surface dependent even though it sounds like a wind noise. On slightly rougher road surfaces, it starts. Sounds like its coming from in behind the dash. I keep meaning to take the steering wheel off and have a check but never get round to it. I had most of the rest of the dash out to try and pinpoint it with no success.

Post #18866985th Dec 2017 7:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >