Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

[FIXED] Odd RPM and gutless pulling away towing EGR or TC?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
carbore

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
[FIXED] Odd RPM and gutless pulling away towing EGR or TC?

Hi,

My Disco has been niggling me for months, some time ago it started to rev unnecessarily high in normal driving. Thinking Torque Converter, although only at 48,000miles I had a standard Trans oil change which made it better, but not great. I then had a mega flush which made it almost perfect, but I wasn't 100% sure it was fixed (but maybe imagined it)

Anyway I have recently been towing (Elise on transporter) and it showed a new trick. Pulling off from a junction as I left the venue the revs went high/2500 and it felt it had little or no torque until it stabilised around 40 mph and was fine. Again on a steep slip road it maybe felt a bit high, but rest of the way home it was fine.

Next week pulling out of the paddock at a Hillclimb with Elise in tow, up a steep hill, it revved to 3000RPM and barley hit jogging pace all the way up the hill. Once it was flat it was fine again all they way home.

This week I was on Holiday and drove 3 hours on A roads and Dual Carriageways and the Disco was its usual lovely wafty self, also hit 29.5 MPG which is as good as ever. Same on the way home, but maybe pulling onto a junction at the start it was a bit revvy.

So in summary its over revvy when pulling off when heavily laden/towing and its probably at its most noticeable when cold. It does also seem that sometimes when you lift off the revs drop very quickly, as iff you were driving a manual and put the clutch in, which doesn't feel right.

So, is this still the Torque converter, or worse gearbox? Or is it EGRs, I read a few threads about no torque when towing and it was often EGRS. Oh and It had a new Turbo 12 months ago as it has the ESF when towing which turned to to be the actuator (electrical), so its hopefully not that.

Any ideas of things to try to prove this? (probably a trip to the local Indi)
 Disco 3: Lotus Elise S1: Ferguson T20: Audi A2 

Last edited by carbore on 7th Aug 2018 8:33 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #196314713th Jul 2018 9:01 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you checked the gear selector pivot, make sure it's not semi seized, is your gear stick stiff? My D3 would drop out of gear when turning in and out of junctions and the revs would rise when it was semi seized. May not be that simple but always worth checking the simple things first.
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #196316213th Jul 2018 9:26 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sound like automatic gearbox linkage needs to be replaced or lubricated see
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/automatic-t...ht=Linkage

Post #196317713th Jul 2018 9:56 pm
carbore

Ok based on those links Ill have a look at this. I think it looked OK (not corroded) a few months back when I did a fuel filter swap, but the lubricant issue in the linked thread is well worth a look).

This is the linkage thats approximately under the drivers seat area, under the middle bash plate?

Thanks.
Post #196322314th Jul 2018 7:50 am
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The best thread to look at for information on what to do is https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/autobox-gea...31656.html
It is only after the linkage has been replaced or lubricated that you realise how stiff it had become. As a first approach you should remove the cover under the vehicle and lubricate the linkage.

Post #196324414th Jul 2018 9:17 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

To confirm if it is the linkage glance at the dash when it does it. If this is the case the car will have N there, not D. If it’s showing D then it’s not a linkage issue.

Click image to enlarge

Post #196324514th Jul 2018 9:28 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You seem to have this problem only when starting a journey! the torque converter does not lock up until the transmission has reached operating temperature, it is designed like that to get the transmission oil up to temp as quickly as possible, until the oil has reached operatating temp it will hold gears longer and 6th gear is not available. Thumbs Up
Also the gearbox is adaptive, i.e. it adapts to your style of driving and the use it is put to, so heavy loads means gear changes at different speeds and engine revs if and when the driver requests them.
Don’t forget the Disco has a low ratio gearbox, if pulling a heavy load uphill when cold as you did use low ratio, it will take you up to 40mph easily and when the road levels out change up to high range without stopping*,(not recommended to change down without stopping), it takes all the stress out of the transmission.

* Foot off accelerator>select neutral>select high range>select drive>power on accelerator.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #196332814th Jul 2018 12:59 pm
carbore

Hi,

I order a replacement linkage and fitted it today.

The old one, whilst it looked ok externally was stiff and squeaky, it only had about 45degrees of movement. Id say (hope) there is a high likelihood this is the culprit.

Thanks for the "how to" link, its an easy job but having the info makes it very easy and shows the pitfalls to avoid. Id echo the comments about this being a service job (lube) and if you have any issues with shifting this is worth doing just in case as its £20 parts and 30 mins work.

Thanks for the help.
Post #196607022nd Jul 2018 11:19 am
carbore

I have been driving with the fix in place for a few weeks and its all fine now so a massive thank-you for getting back on the right track.

Even towing up the hill it had the issues on before its fine. I cant believe I had six months of worry for the sake of this easy fix, silly as id seen the threads but had been "overthinking" my problem!

Thanks again.
Post #19714117th Aug 2018 8:36 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Excellent. Thumbs Up
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone