Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Off to Bratislava & Vienna next week....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The new trip is now; Ghent, Berlin, Munich and Metz, bit closer to home and less hassle at moment. All those hours or checking, re-checking, filling forms in and that too Laughing

Post #226314419th Nov 2021 6:28 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Hopefully that plan survives contact with changing circumstances. Plus pics, we need pics. Thumbs Up

Post #226314519th Nov 2021 6:29 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

astonbuilder wrote:
^^^^^ yeah, my lad has been 'over there' since July through Europe, Balkans and down to Greece and has been asked for his passport a couple of times and NHS proof on his phone a couple of times.

How’s he working the 90 days in rolling 180 malarkie? Or is he on an EU/Schengen passport?

Post #226325420th Nov 2021 11:31 am
astonbuilder

By crossing over into Croatia and Bulgaria, not counted in the Schengen/European ‘allowance’, (along with Cyprus, Romania and Ireland) Thumbs Up

Post #226342721st Nov 2021 6:37 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Thought it might involve Croatia, forgot about Bulgaria. Embarassed Embarassed

Thumbs Up

Post #226343521st Nov 2021 7:32 pm
astonbuilder

So we’re half-way through now and no real issues. Chunnel was straightforward and I’d pre-loaded French PLF’s so was waved through. For Belgium I’d done the pre-registration forms and, slight ‘mistake’, I’d said we’d be in country >48 hours so technically needed a PCR test on day 1 or 2 and some more registering ‘noise’ but we changed it and left country on 46 hours (SWMBO sure the feds would be watching us on motorway or waiting at the border, even switched her phone off Laughing ). We did drive a bit further south to avoid crossing into Netherlands on way to Berlin to avoid any more papers/registration issues though too.

No issues in Berlin at all.

Both countries very ‘hot’ on masks, vaccine pass and passport/ID card, even to just order a coffee or suchlike. It’s not draconian or barked orders, everybody just ‘does it’ as a normal every day thing.

Lot on news of Christmas markets may close but they are, by all accounts, much quieter than normal.

Munich next so let’s see if any different there.

So far, so good. Don’t think I’d have been doing the trip two weeks on from now though?

Full report and pics on return Thumbs Up

Post #226376623rd Nov 2021 9:56 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Enjoy. Sounds like a nice trip. Thumbs Up

I'm in Milan, Brescia and Zurich next week, Milan again the following week and US the week after. I spend my life filling in forms but the UK Passenger Locator Form works as I found out on Saturday. Tested negative so all good. Crossing my fingers it will all remain OK, though but rises in Covid could start closing things down again in the EU. Sad
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #226376723rd Nov 2021 10:15 pm
astonbuilder

I was due to go on a footie trip to Bergamo and Milan but SWMBO got dibs Laughing

Some of my mates have made the trip and there sounds much like my own experiences so far ref paperwork and compliance so it’s all do’able if planned Thumbs Up

Post #226377023rd Nov 2021 10:28 pm
Lumi

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yeah Italy is a bit hit and miss… in some areas they can be bit overzealous while in other they care less. So definitely worth be prepared for any eventuality. Have a safe trip.

Post #226384924th Nov 2021 4:49 pm
astonbuilder

Well, we made it back. Just ahead of newly imposed home isolation rules.......

We both said that if we were planning our trip a week or two later it wouldn't have happened I'm sure.

Had to do a lot of paperwork and research for all the ever-changing rules and 'imminent' lockdowns followed us throughout and were mainstay of Belgian/German/French news stories. Christmas markets closing daily as we travelled too.

Entry into France from chunnel was straightforward. I'd electronically uploaded everything and got an OK from Eurotunnel ahead of travelling so just went straight through 'as normal'. For Belgium I'd uploaded a PLF for us and that got us a flurry of daily emails and texts with dire warnings of arrest/isolation/fines if we didn't comply with getting tests, etc. if there more than 48 hours. We left just before that deadline but the messages are still coming now as no 'physical' border to exit from to say 'no longer there'.

Whilst Ghent was 100% masks and Covid passes 'everywhere', Germany was a bit more 'in your face' pushing the message, absolutely everywhere firmly, but politely, pressed for wearing of masks and checking of NHS app passes with passport ID to match. Had to buy FFP2 masks in Munich as the blue paper NHS style ones we had are not acceptable.

Loved Berlin, despite living in Germany for a couple of years I'd never been there, There is still such a huge difference between the 'west' and 'east' sides 30+ years after the wall came down. Sure there's some big-name hotels and glass'n'chrome buildings but graffiti and 'dirt' everywhere and just that worn-out, run-down, feel to the place.

Munich announced a 10.00pm curfew in the local area we stayed in and all bars and shops strictly adhered to kicking out times and police patrols present and watching crowds disperse. The Christmas market in Marianplatz had only opened the afternoon before and was being dismantled when we arrived.

Weather got colder throughout the trip culminating in dusting of snow in Munich but when we got home our house was like a block of ice and generally felt colder here than over there.

On return last leg we picked my lad up in Augsburg along with the dog he'd got on his travels. His (dual national) German GF is stopping on with her gran in their camper van a while longer.

Getting the dog onto Eurotunnel was easy, took less than five minutes. Separate area to pull in to check wormed in last 48 hours, all jabs up to date and chip scanned for ID and on our way. They checked our PLF's for UK entry there so they were OK'd at the actual 'border' when we got to it after sorting the dog so, again, straight through onto the train and home.

2008 miles, in total, average of 39.7mpg brim to brim (didn't go above 80mph even on unrestricted autobahns)

Few random picks of Ghent, Berlin and Munich;

Macka (pronounced Matchka = cat in Montenegrin Laughing ) who attached herself to my lad and his GF and they 'adopted' - how could you not fall in love with her Embarassed She is a lovely dog, so quiet and placid. TRavelled about 3000 miles with them and well travelled with about 7 countries and then finally France and England to her new forever home.

Post #226438828th Nov 2021 12:00 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Great pics.

Love Macka.

Good MPG. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #226439228th Nov 2021 12:18 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

She indeed looks lovely, and had landed on her paws. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #226439528th Nov 2021 12:25 pm
astonbuilder

Turns out Macka is a pedigree ‘Montenegrin mountain hound’ according to vet. Had to look that one up, understandably never heard of that breed.

Post #22658066th Dec 2021 9:09 pm
Dixie Dean

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting report - thanks for sharing
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather, towing a Coachman VIP 575  
Post #226680712th Dec 2021 4:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >