Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Off-road rims & tyres - worth the effort?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Off-road rims & tyres - worth the effort?

It's become clear to me the Pzero Scorpion the D3 came with (on the stock '08 HSE 19" rims) is great for the road but leaves much to be desired off of it... Question

A thought I've had since the Scorpions are rather new (5k on them) and the fact I dread another knick on the alloys (which I'm not even sure is repairable), is to get a second set of 17-18 or even 19 "cheaper" rims with a good off-road tyre.

My reasoning is that the car spends 85% of it's rolling life on tarmac, so from what I've read on here a proper off-road tyre would be too noisy and too costly in additional fuel. And when I do go off-road, it is more likely to be in "rough" conditions (snow, mud, gravel and the occasional grass field Wink ) on which the Scorpions do well enough as long as no serious angles come into play. I would be willing to prep the car an hour before an after each trip (in changing all wheels).

Been thinking of simple rims (not necessarily alloys) with good tyres (which I will research some more on this forum topic) as the solution. Having replaced one of the Scorpions recently at 350 Euros Shocked , am a bit scared of the cost too TBH (don't ask, the incident involved the missus tearing the rear tyre when clipping a curb... Rolling Eyes )

Anyone have implemented a similar thought and what size rim would you recommend for off-road driving? Am I looking at well over a grand for all four corners?

Any advice will be most welcome Thumbs Up

Post #40663221st Jan 2009 3:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
frenchy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Hi Biz,
had the same thoughts myself.
Recently took the disco off road at the Land Rover Experience centre in Snowdonia, and, with 18" Scorpions it did OK, but not great.
Anyway, we are going to the same place this Sunday but this time I have bought a set of 17" rims (Standard d3 issue) off ebay for about £100 and then have fitted a set of Maxxis Bighorns to them. I chose the rims because there there seems to be a larger choice of tyres at 17" and they also appear a little cheaper. I paid about £75 each from Camskills via the internet.
Will report back after the weekend and let you know how thay performed.
Good Luck Thumbs Up

Post #40694621st Jan 2009 10:14 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I run 19" alloys with MTR on the road (90%) a little extra road noise and a loss on 1-2mpg are the only down sides, handling is in my opinion unchanged. in fact it's less effected by lorry ruts and life experience is reported to be double.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #40704021st Jan 2009 11:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The G4 came with a set off wrangler HP's and they were new so I use these as long as they live for road tyres and both a cheap set off 19" FFRR rims with some scratches for putting wintertyres on. But I had a little luck these were fitted with MTR's I good have the tyres for 50 euro more so I did that offcourse.
So I ditched the idea off winter tyres and have now a road and offroad set.
I will use the MTR's also if I have to go to an area were winter tyres should be used like Austria. My experience is they more or less accept MT's as wintertyres too.

I edited as I forgot to mentione that it's easy to have a spare set as I had some problems with sand working it's way between the rim and tyre and causing slow leaks. With a dedicated road set I am not in a hurry to repair the tyres if needed.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #40712822nd Jan 2009 9:10 am
jacob

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
tyres

Biz, hello and wellcome to the forum.

If you have the 18' rims, then put on the general grabber AT2, and
you will be more than satisfied....
very good on and off road with very low noise very good mileage, and not to mention the perfect look
of them.

+++
although i have a second set with 17' rims and cooper stt on, for rough conditions, but
when i bought the car almost 3 yrs back, there were no a/t tyre avail fr the 18' rims, and the pirelis
gone for good after almost 12000 kms.

Post #40723822nd Jan 2009 1:36 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Biz - this weekend was my first experience with proper offroad tyres. I bought Cooper STT's on 17" rims. They worked very well in all conditions (mud, rock etc). After this weekend i would recommend offroad tyres if you want to enjoy your day rather than struggle (which is what i did before).
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #40906626th Jan 2009 1:05 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Last edited by DiscoDunc on 26th Jan 2009 8:49 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #40908426th Jan 2009 1:37 am
frenchy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Reporting back from Snowdonia Off Road event - new Maxxis Bighorns worked a treat and don't cost the earth. Will be changing back to the road tyres this week but for special events like this, these 17 inchers are great and look ACE as well! Mr. Green

Post #40909126th Jan 2009 2:07 am
diamond

Greece 

Since I'm in the line to order the Disco, will it be clever to exchange the standard 18" that come with SE model for 17"
The car is going to be used for trips and 4wheeling.
I don't know yet what are the price difference between 17" tires and 18" but I assume that 18" AT tires will be difficult to find and more expensive

Post #40932926th Jan 2009 3:30 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Keep the 18" wheels and get a second set in 17, 18 or 19" to put AT or MT tyres on Thumbs Up

Plenty of sets of spare rims on ebay or on here Very Happy

Post #40933126th Jan 2009 3:33 pm
diamond

Greece 

got it
Thanks

Post #40934726th Jan 2009 4:07 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I got a set of 9" wide 19" wheels for my D3 and learned the hard way, that the road tyres should be on the wide rims and the off-road tyres on the narrower rims. Neutral Yawn When running tyres at low pressures, the wider rim does a great job of pinching the sidewalls but the narrower rims are more forgiving of this.

And a trick on more quickly changing out the tyres. Just raise to maximum height then drive on to diagonally-opposite (ie, front-left tyre and right-rear tyre) onto either truck ramps or suitable logs. It takes very little jacking to lift the other tyres off the ground allowing for an easy change to 2 tyres. Back off the logs, go to normal height then back to maximum height and do the same thing on the other tyres. In Western Aust we tend to drive long distances on melting-hot roads, then onto rocks or sand. Having a road-set and an off-road-set of tyres works wonderfully.

I'd suggest NOT driving the other 2 tyres onto ramps immediately (ie, don't cause the 2 low-slung tyres to go onto ramps before the D3 can re-acquant itself to level ground) or you'll cause a symphone of sounds and alarm lights to activate. This causes some kind of bi-polar moment to the D3's brain.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #40982027th Jan 2009 7:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >