DISCO4.COM > Europe

Off-roading in Spain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Off-roading in Spain

Hopefully some of our Spanish members can help answer this one (is probably regularly discussed in the Spanish section but thought it's be quicker to ask than translate the posts in there)......

We were chatting over a pint last night about a possible trip to Spain next year to take in some of the sites and hopefully do some off-roading too so I was wondering what's available over there? What are the rules and regs on where you can drive? Any recommendations on where to go? Confused
 The End  
Post #37284712th Nov 2008 8:25 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hopefully Simon I can help you. I spent three days in the Hills around the coast towns of Benalmadena, and Layla Playa. Just east of Marbella on the main route from Malaga to Gibralter. Its the tops, but very rocky. I did it on a stag weekend 18 months ago, and is open to the public and free. I will look in the wardrobe as its got a leaflet and map of the area, and will bring it for you to SE meet.

We tented up there, and a couple of nights drove down to the night life. One of the best 4x4 long weekends I did in a TD5 90

Post #37287312th Nov 2008 8:45 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Paul P is your man in Barcelona, there's plenty of sites there (aparently) and of course its a shorter drive to Barca Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #37293612th Nov 2008 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm going out for a 120km mountain route this weekend with another 10 D3s (including Nash) from the bottom of the Pyrenees to the west of Barcelona. Lots of snow about up there and apparently some very tricky parts.

I think the best place to start would be to let me know where you are planning on going to......I could only really advise on Catalunya, but if you can narrow it down a bit I'll be happy to open a thread on the Spanish forum for people to pile in and recommend places to you. Thumbs Up (of course, you'd also be welcome to 'jump ship' briefly, register and post a question in the english-speaking section)....

Here we do not have so many pointless restrictions on where you can drive. It is still regulated and the foresty commission will likely stop anyone driving around in the middle of nowhere. We've been looking into the rules and regulations for Catalunya on the forum for the last few days and it seems that it shouldn't be any more than 4 vehicles - 5 if you're lucky.

We've decided to split up into 4 groups of maximum 4 cars each group to avoid too much 'attention'. The authorities take organised routes through public/national parks very seriously so it's better to be safe.

If you are planning on visiting this area, then they are an almost infinite number of places for you to visit during a week long stay. Terrain is mostly rocky and sandy, but mud is not hard to find. In the winter time (November - March) the weather in the mountains is not to be taken lightly, but they offer some of the most beautiful views you're likely to see.

I would suggest visiting in April/May to avoid the heat and be able to enjoy yourselves.

So.....let me know when, for how long and which area/areas. I'll report back with whatever info the guys over here tell me.

BTW - if you are coming close to Barcelona (eastern Catalunya) let me know and I'll organise a D3 day out for us all....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #37298612th Nov 2008 11:27 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Slimer,

Paul gave me some pointers earlier this summer. I wasn't looking for anything adventurous but some of the routes and tracks certainly do lead to some wonderful areas. (Which reminds me...I owe MrH a PM Embarassed )

Are you thinking of doing a trip with some Disco3 members or is it a private event? If this is something that would be open to others I would love to come along (depending on dates etc, obviously).

(I may even be able to pursuade the in-laws to allow us to stay at their house just outside of Barcelona)

Paul - i thought a lot of the Pyrenees routes were closed from November till March (I assume because of weather and skiing access) ? Or are you not going that high ?

Slimer - let me know your thoughts on whether you want to open up a trip to others. Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #37304213th Nov 2008 7:59 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thanks gents, we'll have a ponder on what area's we want to visit (this will be a site-seeing trip as much as a off-road one) and plan a rough route then find out what's available on the way

Paul, plenty of mud available over here so no need to seek any of that out Very Happy Barcelona is definitely an area I'd like to put on the list so a day out could be one the cards Thumbs Up

JF, no reason why others can't join in, I don't envision organising an event as such though, be more of a case of "we're going here on these dates, if you want to join in we'll provide details of the hotels, ferries etc we're using so you can book the same"
 The End  
Post #37306513th Nov 2008 9:05 am
Spanish Fly

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I have lived here in Southern Spain since 1986 and have been coming on holiday since my parents bought a house here in 1977. So, based on this I know this area pretty well.

There are few places to take long off-road trips, although there are some truly spectacular road trips to be had. Such as driving the 'White Villages route' and the 'Bull route'. Most of the rural areas are either privately owned and used for farming or hunting. Also there are many off-limits military zones.

As we are so close to North Africa, we usually hop on a ferry and do some real off-roading! If you were to drive all the way down to the South, you may as well do the same.

Maybe in other parts of Spain the off-roading scene is different....?

Post #37316413th Nov 2008 11:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Done the Morocco thang 4 times now, time for a change before going back there again, hence establishing what Spain has to offer

Can you tell us more about these spectacular road trips Mr Fly? Confused
 The End  
Post #37316913th Nov 2008 11:59 am
Spanish Fly

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The 'Ruta del Toro' takes you through the bull-breeding area of the Cádiz province. Includes great places like Tarifa, Conil, Jerez, San Pablo, Jimena, etc. Great scenic routes! Also nearby is the Alconocales Nature Reserve and the amazing Coto Doñana Nature reserve.
Also, in Málaga and Cádiz provinces you can visit the numerous 'Pueblos Blancos' (White villages) such as Ronda, Casares, Ubrique, etc. All very beautiful and picturesque. Best time to go is late spring or early autumn. Although today its about 25C and not a cloud in the sky!
The local gastronomy is great, especially Jabali (wild boar), chorizo, Manchego cheese, and of course a nice glass of Rioja o Ribera del Duero wine!
Also don't forget the magnificent beaches on the Atlantic coast, especially Zahara de los Atunes and Barbate.

Cheers,

Chay

Post #37321813th Nov 2008 1:09 pm
chris d3

United Kingdom 

i would like to take a trip over pyrenees. spent alot nof time in northern spain.skiing in lamolina and andorra and on the coast costa brava and dorada and a bit time around santander

Post #51007620th Aug 2009 11:40 pm
JF Lux

I'm about to disappear on holiday for 3 weeks - when I'm back maybe we can see if there are any takers for a trip back to the area...?

I will be back in Catalunya and hopefully meeting up with PaulP so we can have a chat about possible route etc. I'll also be doing a bit of touring around Montseny and a couple of days in the Pyrenees.

If there is enough interest we could get something organised. (Maybe with some help/advice from the discotr.es forum... Whistle )
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"

Post #51009721st Aug 2009 7:31 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

We will be going back down to Murcia, but not until May next year Big Cry

would be keen to meetup and do some tracks then Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #51011221st Aug 2009 8:50 am
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

try this site:
http://www.vibraction.org/

Good service and good roadbooks
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #51012921st Aug 2009 10:28 am
JF Lux

Penguin wrote:
try this site:
http://www.vibraction.org/

Good service and good roadbooks

I've been looking at this site and have a couple of e-mail conversations with Philipe Rosa.

Have you used any of the roadbooks ? I'm about to order RB 18 and 19.

Post #51015221st Aug 2009 11:08 am
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I've bought nr 2, planned it, but only drove about 10km of it Sad

The driver of the other car with us had too much fear after a near fall from a tow truck a couple of day's before...
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #51016021st Aug 2009 11:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >