DISCO4.COM > General

Oh dear - anyone fancy a project?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Oh dear - anyone fancy a project?

I'm considering cutting loose of my D3 tdv6 - sadly Sad

Issues have been piling up, and just as I was about to get a clutch job done, I've seen a fluid leak down the back of the engine on the drivers side - I can't see a leaking injector union or leak off hose - so can only assume it's coming from the HPFP.

Cost of doing a clutch, HPFP and lower steering column shaft put me off (I like to do my repairs DIY) - time to think about putting that sort of money elsewhere; I think it's time for her to go to an owner who can sort her out and enjoy her.

I'll stick something in the cars for sale section shortly - had a good 4.5 years, but now time to move on.

Post #21178632nd Feb 2020 5:32 pm
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Shame, but these cars do keep testing how deep our pockets and patience are
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #21181243rd Feb 2020 7:01 pm
kayble

It turns out I like a project!

Issues:
1. Clutch slip - 3 piece kit and DMF fitted locally - COP bracket presence verifed both before and after job.

2. Flex section on exhaust downpipe broken - I supplied the clutch fitters with an aftermarket downpipe with cat from BM rads (p/n: WCD500433) - this part supplied from AF (although I didn't buy mine from them): https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/wcd50043...0227-p.asp

This has had the curious side effect of resolving an exhaust smoke issue I was having - whereby the car produced excess smoke under 'effort' most notably at night time with lights from cars behind me. Oddly though, the turbo noise is more apparent - anyone had any experience with these aftermarket parts being slightly 'louder' than LR equivalents?

3. rear propshaft centre bearing ruined - it was spotted during clutch change. New prop supplied by AF and fitted in an afternoon:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Glad I just went for a new prop, as th UJ at the rear diff end was notchy as well.

4. Oil leak - coming down the offside of the bellhousing. Changed the diesel leak off pipe assembly, using new o-rings - thinking that the moisture was coming from the rear injector area on offside bank - that didn't fix it.

There's moisture in two relevant areas at the top of the engine; first is round what I think is a crankcase breather of some description, on the offside bank:

Click image to enlarge

The second is apparently dripping down off the brake booster pump:

Click image to enlarge

Is it conceivable that there's a diaphagm in that breather that might have torn, and oil is coming out around the breather and dripping down past the brake booster pump?

Alternatively, its quite conceivable that the seal for the pump is leaking, but that wouldn't explain why there's moisture around the breather?

Here's what the leak looks like down the bellhousing:

Click image to enlarge

Has anyone seen leaks from these breathers in the past? I feel like that might be the easiest first start to investigate further?

Other issues to address - clunk in steering/notchiness in steering; replacement lower steering column shaft ready to go on - temporary fix was to soak the UJ on the existing part with fluid film - which has made the steering much more 'fluid', but of course hasn't addressed the clunk.

Post #212715810th Mar 2020 9:40 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My gearbox breather was spitting oil out, no idea why but I extended the pipe up to the second battery box and put the end into a small pop bottle
It still collects a bit but now I have no more burning smell or vapour/smoke from the back of the engine
HTH
Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #212731111th Mar 2020 12:33 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The breather you have shown in the picture actually isn’t one - this is where the vacuum pipe connects on the Jag variant of the engine to operate the flaps in the cam covers for their variant of the emissions control. On the LR variant it is just left unplugged as you have it in the picture. Oil leaking from here may be a symptom of a flap collapsing inside the inlet allowing pressure into the top chamber and allowing a leak out via the open end. Is there any pressure there - this was a symptom on my first D3 when the flap went.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #212740511th Mar 2020 8:32 pm
kayble

That's interesting - thanks for the insight. The moitsure is around the 'top hat' piece of the breather as it clips on to the rest of the intake manifold, rather than the small connection for vacuum hose that's not connected to anything; if that helps?

I'm tempted to pop the top hat off the intake manifold and inspect, but not sure what I'll find and/or whether I'd be able to put it back on to the intake manifold - i.e I don't want to cause myself a massive headache by investigating something I'm unclear on!

What happened in your case?

EDIT: Just found this product on the web:

Click image to enlarge

Link: https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.com/PBS...zGfD%5FBwE

I wonder if the issue I've got is a tear in the diaphragm part... might well pop it open and take a look, although I am now slightly nervous about the prospect of part of an unsed swirl flap breaking and getting ingested by the engine - I'm not sure I've ever seen that reported for a tdv6 in a Disco though?

Last edited by kayble on 12th Mar 2020 12:22 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #212744712th Mar 2020 12:05 am
kayble

Randylover wrote:
My gearbox breather was spitting oil out, no idea why but I extended the pipe up to the second battery box and put the end into a small pop bottle
It still collects a bit but now I have no more burning smell or vapour/smoke from the back of the engine
HTH
Andy

That's an interesting thought as well - not sure why this would start to be the case on my car, when not an issue in the past. Last changed the oil the transmission two years ago and was careful to fill to the correct level.. confusing...

before you affected your solution - was yours spitting enough oil such that it was leaking down the bell housing?

Post #212744812th Mar 2020 12:08 am
darrind

kayble wrote:
That's interesting - thanks for the insight. The moitsure is around the 'top hat' piece of the breather as it clips on to the rest of the intake manifold, rather than the small connection for vacuum hose that's not connected to anything; if that helps?

I'm tempted to pop the top hat off the intake manifold and inspect, but not sure what I'll find and/or whether I'd be able to put it back on to the intake manifold - i.e I don't want to cause myself a massive headache by investigating something I'm unclear on!

What happened in your case?

EDIT: Just found this product on the web:

Click image to enlarge

Link: https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.com/PBS...zGfD%5FBwE

I wonder if the issue I've got is a tear in the diaphragm part... might well pop it open and take a look, although I am now slightly nervous about the prospect of part of an unsed swirl flap breaking and getting ingested by the engine - I'm not sure I've ever seen that reported for a tdv6 in a Disco though?

Hi if you take a look at the picture above, this is the underside of the Inlet manifold assembly that the vacuum diaphragm is on the top side (away from the camera) in my case the lower of the flaps in this picture had collapsed and been eaten by the combustion chamber. I'm sure if you take a look down the inlet connector by taking off the throttle body with a USB probe camera you could see if anything was amiss inside the actual inlet cavity (the wireless endoscopes are really cheap on Amazon and would do the job for around £20)
Post #212757112th Mar 2020 4:04 pm
kayble

eek - so a piece of the flap had come apart in your case, and got ingested by the engine?

I daren't ask, but what was the damage?

Post #212758912th Mar 2020 6:05 pm
darrind

No damage from what we could see Compression was good and all readings were fine after the repair - ironically the only reason it was spotted was the car wouldn't go up hills in North Yorkshire National Park without going into limp mode (first day of a weeks holiday) the cause of the limp mode inducing fault appeared to be this, but after replacing the inlet (with one from Ebay from a seller 6 miles away), in a car park in the rain the problem persisted. (8 hours in the pouring Yorkshire rain with just hand tools from a nearby Halfords)

It later turned out to be corrosion on the turbo actuator that had caused the problem - it was resolved by using a Barbeque skewer to work the actuator whilst dosing it with WD40 - 20 minutes work with bits from Asda Supermarket
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

However the car continued to run smoothly for a further year before spinning a bearing, which I dont think was related as thats a common issue
Post #212759712th Mar 2020 6:40 pm
kayble

Interesting - but how did you actually spot a part of the flap was missing? I do have a boroscope, but I prefer the idea of popping the top hat off the intake whilst it's in situ - looking for a tear in that diaphragm- hopefully.

Post #212760812th Mar 2020 8:16 pm
darrind

The reason I spotted there was a problem was all of the crud built up around the area of the vacuum connector nozzle and that there was pressure there if you held your finger over it. I first thought there was a pipe missing so did some searching here and realised there shouldnt be a pipe or any air blowing from the nozzle.

Most of the crud was built up on the bracket at the rear that is in your picture.
Post #212760912th Mar 2020 8:22 pm
darrind

Didnt take the top hat off as I took the throttle body off and went from there
Post #212761012th Mar 2020 8:24 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

darrind wrote:
The breather you have shown in the picture actually isn’t one - this is where the vacuum pipe connects on the Jag variant of the engine to operate the flaps in the cam covers for their variant of the emissions control. On the LR variant it is just left unplugged as you have it in the picture. Oil leaking from here may be a symptom of a flap collapsing inside the inlet allowing pressure into the top chamber and allowing a leak out via the open end. Is there any pressure there - this was a symptom on my first D3 when the flap went.

What I do not understand here... these flaps or valves are permanently open if there is no vacuum applied as far as I can see on my engine... so a broken or lost valve should make no difference regarding “pressure” in any chamber, since everything stays the same

Open valve or no valve..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #212762512th Mar 2020 10:20 pm
kayble

quick update; the turbo noise turned out to be a couople of nuts on the flange for the turbo to the downpipe being slightly loose - all done up and she's quiet and smoke free.

Next issue to tackle is the oil leak down the bellhousing. I'm going to try the tip of extending the gearbox and transfer case breathers in to bottles, and see if I get any spitting first.

Post #213174226th Mar 2020 1:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >