Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Oil leak at top front of engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4
Oil leak at top front of engine

I had taken the acoustic cover off after MrH's warning about radiator hose wearing. I discovered the hose is worn and I need to replace it. Trouble is, I also discovered that there is oil all over everything around that area, photos attached. 2010 MY, 107k.

Has anyone got any ideas what is causing it and how serious it is? I haven't noticed needing more oil in the engine than usual, about 0.5l per 10k miles.

I have arranged to trade it in mid-March at a dealer, so I would rather not spend a lot of money on it now. However am due to have two trips to Europe before that....

Thanks

d4 HSE  
Post #141032819th Jan 2015 11:05 am
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I would guess an air leak. Mine looked like that when my inter cooler hose split but not sure of the difference between D3-D4

Post #141033119th Jan 2015 11:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stick

intercooler hose split doesn't sound good. In which case you think I probably should get it investigated and not run the risk? thanks
 d4 HSE  
Post #141034019th Jan 2015 11:25 am
adam

United Kingdom 

If it was your inter cooler hose you would have other symptoms (lots of smoke, low power etc.)
I had something similar a couple of years ago - turned out to be a lose clip on a pipe going to one of the turbos - I was mighty relieved
I'd definitely get it checked out though

Post #141034619th Jan 2015 11:32 am
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I had split hose about six months ago, had no loss of power, no smoke, no whistles nothing. Only found the split due to reading this forum and thought I'd check my hoses

Post #141047719th Jan 2015 3:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

I stand corrected!

Post #141049819th Jan 2015 4:14 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

I had something like this fixed under warranty.

As far as I can remember it was the “throttle body housing”. First attempt was a rubber seal/gasket which lasted a few months and then a new throttle body was fitted.

Hope someone may be able to come along soon to tell you more. Thumbs Up

Post #141055019th Jan 2015 5:43 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I am not sure it is that serious. Looking at the top left of the picture, I would say the air intake to the box where the EGR flap is situated is not fitted properly. There is a large metal clip that you prize upwards and off with a screw driver. That clip can be in place at the top, but not fitted at the bottom and the exhaust gasses escape at the bottom - these are oily gasses and can spread over a large area with the fan blowing them around.

Try lifting the clip out and pushing the pipe fully home at top and bottom. Put clip back on, making sure it is the correct way round - the wrong way can allow the bottom to come away.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #141065419th Jan 2015 8:47 pm
stick

Thanks for all the comments.

Barn1e, can you give me a clearer steer to which is the pipe you mean? Sorry for my ignorance, but I Can't work out which box or air intake you mean? Good point about the fan blowing it all over, makes sense.

THanks
 d4 HSE  
Post #141069819th Jan 2015 9:31 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Take a look at this thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32335.h...ottle+body

This shows the throttle body which I am assuming is similar on D4. It is on top of the engine. I think that is visible in your photo. On the diagram, 3 is pointing to the flap, but it is that opening that an intake pipe is attached to. It is secured in place by a large metal clip. If the intake pipe is not pushed fully home when the clip is inserted, it can leave a gap that the gases escape from.

Mine was not fully fitted after a trip to the dealers - I think it was when they did the cam-belt. They also failed to fit the top hose for the coolant that is secured by a similar clip.

It could be a faulty seal as others had suggested, but worth checking the fit of the intake pipe. I cant recall which way round the clip goes - bent parts at the bottom facing to front or rear. One way it holds, the other it does not.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #141083019th Jan 2015 11:24 pm
stick

Update: 'O' ring to throttle body needed replacing. Done at Keith Gott, super service. Said they have seen a few now. (Also replaced the radiator hose for me, perishing with oil as well as the big cut from the baffle. Thumbs Up )
 d4 HSE  
Post #14215306th Feb 2015 6:46 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

glad you got it sorted and not too expensive
Post #14215476th Feb 2015 7:03 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Barn1e wrote:

It could be a faulty seal as others had suggested, but worth checking the fit of the intake pipe. I cant recall which way round the clip goes - bent parts at the bottom facing to front or rear. One way it holds, the other it does not.

An oldish thread, I know, but does anybody happen to know which way round the throttle body clip goes? Do the prongs face the front or the rear of the car? Mine seems to hold in both directions but I'm trying to locate the source of a small oil leak around the throttle body and have just flipped it round to see if that sorts it.

Also, is this the correct part to replace the throttle body seal?

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr008353-...1730-p.asp

Thanks,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #16224729th Mar 2016 2:49 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

UPDATE: This photo appears to show the prongs on the clip pointing towards the front of the car:

As you were. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #16224919th Mar 2016 3:05 pm
razrahim

Malaysia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Oil leak at top front of engine

Hi, please advise, what do you make of this situation? I've just replace on side of the manifold cover.This happens then after a few hundred miles.

video links.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rrna50p1b...sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rdSXSY-zl...sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zOhJVdY5L...sp=sharing

stick wrote:
I had taken the acoustic cover off after MrH's warning about radiator hose wearing. I discovered the hose is worn and I need to replace it. Trouble is, I also discovered that there is oil all over everything around that area, photos attached. 2010 MY, 107k.

Has anyone got any ideas what is causing it and how serious it is? I haven't noticed needing more oil in the engine than usual, about 0.5l per 10k miles.

I have arranged to trade it in mid-March at a dealer, so I would rather not spend a lot of money on it now. However am due to have two trips to Europe before that....

Thanks

Post #21653233rd Aug 2020 8:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >