Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Oil Level Sensor Failure resulting in Overfilled Indication?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CarlW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Oil Level Sensor Failure resulting in Overfilled Indication?

Hi,
Looking for advice/information before my dealer undertakes intrusive work to replace the oil level sensor in my 1 year old D4 Landmark.

I purchased my D4 new in March 2016 and have covered approaching 8k miles. During the 1st 12-months I checked the oil level periodically and it always showed full.

I took my vehicle to the dealer I purchased it from for its first service. The day after the service I checked the oil level and it showed ‘Overfilled’. I obviously ‘complained’ and returned the vehicle as there were one or two other issues I was also unhappy about. They had my vehicle for a full day and when I collected it they told me they had removed 0.5L of oil and resolved my other issues. Before leaving the dealership I again checked the oil level and it was still showing ‘Overfilled’.

The senior mechanic inspected my vehicle with me and agreed I should leave it with them for further inspection so I left in a courtesy car! About 90mins later I had a call telling me they were certain the vehicle was not overfilled and so they believed the oil level sensor to be faulty. I’ve now got an appointment in about 10-days time for them to replace the oil level sensor, which I understand requires access to the sump requiring removal of the front differential etc

Before they undertake this fairly intrusive work, which I suspect increases the likelihood of future oil leaks etc I’d be interested to understand:
- How reliable are the oil level sensors in the D4?
- What’s the likelihood of the oil level sensor failing or being damaged during the routine oil change? I had no issues or concerns before it was serviced!
- Are there any know issues with the oil level sensors?

My inclination is to ask them to drain the engine of oil fully and refill with the correct amount to see if that has any effect before they undertake major surgery!

Thoughts appreciated
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
Defender XS SW 2010 - gone
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #17990692nd Apr 2017 8:17 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic157671.html
Mine is being replaced tomorrow under warranty. It was observed to have a light mist of oil.
I will have them check it again after a few weeks.....
Rob
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #17990822nd Apr 2017 8:28 pm
CarlW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks, I had read that topic with interest but mine seemed to be working fine until the oil change and there's no sign of any leak on mine as far as I know.

What were the symptoms of you failure?

Carl
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #17991402nd Apr 2017 9:34 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

During its year 5 service the Technican noted an oil mist around the sensor housing. Replaced under warranty. It always read the oil level fine.
1974 Lightweight 

Post #18017039th Apr 2017 4:10 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

I would get them to drain or suck the oil out when fully warmed up. Then add exactly 6 litres. (Just under if they haven't drained the filter). Run for at least 15 minutes at tickover, then wait 15 minutes then recheck. When rechecking have the bonnet open, then as soon as they read the level, press the cruise control cancel button twice for the 'true' level and to reset.

If it is still overfull then there is a problem.

I have had quite a few, that upon oil change the display shows a couple of marks down. It is tempting to fill to get to max. But if you leave it after running, the level usually goes up to max.

HTH
Steve

Post #18017119th Apr 2017 4:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

....... or get them to start at 5 litres and see if on the lower part of the scale Thumbs Up

Post #18017399th Apr 2017 5:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Stupid system Rolling Eyes

Wouldn't be the first time I have put in 6 litres, left for 20 mins and it still tells me to add another litre

Leave it overnight, and it reads on Max Twisted Evil
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #18017489th Apr 2017 5:42 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

What's the process to check the level with cruise button and bonnet open? I know it differs from the owners manual but can't remember.
Is it:
Open bonnet
Ignition on
Go to oil check menu and press cruise cancel twice quickly?
Ta
Rob
1974 Lightweight 

Post #18017659th Apr 2017 6:40 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had the same prob after my first service , when I went back they said they had had a couple of goes at getting the right amount of oil out to stop the overfilled message. I wonder if they have taken enough out?
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #18017809th Apr 2017 7:03 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Quote:

Is it:
Open bonnet
Ignition on
Go to oil check menu and press cruise cancel twice quickly?

Yep, that's it Thumbs Up

Post #18018049th Apr 2017 7:45 pm
CarlW

Thanks for comments.

I called in the dealer yesterday and had a chat with the technical chap. Have agreed they will drain, flush the system and then refill and check the oil level before they start any major disassembly.

Booked in for 18th April so will let you know what happens

Thanks
Carl
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #18018189th Apr 2017 8:09 pm
CarlW

Well, it went in as planned on 18th. They inspected the sensor and diagnosed it was saturated with oil.

The sensor was replaced and I collected my vehicle last Friday

And..... Saturday morning it was showing as 'overfilled' again. After a good run to warm the engine on Saturday it showed oil level 'ok' for a few hours before returning to 'overfilled'

On Sunday I ran the cold engine for about 30 seconds to circulate the oil. About 1hr later the display showed oil level 'not available' but from 2hrs later till about 11hrs later the oil level showed 'ok'. But leaving overnight for a further 12 hrs the level once again showed 'overfilled'

The gauge is very consistent and has never given an erratic reading and it seems to me to be giving readings that are consistent with oil draining back to the sump over time raising the level (slowly with a cold engine and more quickly if it's hot)

The problem only started after my 1st service.

So is it possible that the oil is draining out of the filter into the sump? - Could the filter element not be seated/sealing properly in its housing or is there a non-return valve in the filter which could be faulty?
This would be consistent with what I see on the dash other than I don't see the oil light on for an extended period as I would expect if the filter was empty on start-up.

Any thoughts appreciated
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #180795925th Apr 2017 9:15 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Perhaps it is marginally overfilled.
Exactly how much oil was put in?
Suck out 1/2 litre and see what happens?

Post #180801326th Apr 2017 4:44 am
CarlW

Steve,
I agree it could be marginally overfilled, that's what the dealer initially decided immediately after my service on 3rd March. They took 0.5 litre out but it was still showing 'overfilled' when I arrived to collect the car. They then suspected the oil level sensor which was investigated last week and when found to be saturated with oil it was replaced and engine refilled, surely knowing the problem they would have been careful to put the correct amount of oil back in. Problem is still there though.

I would agree they should try removing say 0.5 litre but as the car is still only 14 months old and under warranty I'm expecting them to sort it. They tell me they've contact LR for technical help!
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #180834226th Apr 2017 8:16 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Realise

All D4 owners posting here have some real issues.....that I appreciate totally.
Personally, driving all but one of my cars (i have an XK no dipstick - with same system - just like a D4) driving without a known oil level Is a big risk & would really worry me.
Risk to vehicle engine.
A Costly risk.
Oil Too full = engine damage
Oil Too little = engine damage

So - if you could just swap over to a simple dipstick st a realistic cost would you consider it ? If it where available...
At the risk of having a seized engine - how much would you pay for a conversion ?
Would you pay for one even if your gauge works now but could fail ?

Would be interested on views.

The test to me on what I've read above is sump drained (by sump plug) regulation amount in
Wrong reading = dodgy sensor.
OK to drive but then you've no way of accurately guaging oil level = big risk to vehicle engine

Ideal world both options on vehicle as built.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 19th Jun 2017 11:44 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #180835226th Apr 2017 8:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >