Oil in the Servo - LR Response.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
ILC

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Oil in the Servo - LR Response.

Hi all,

Sorry it's tad long winded.

Can anyone assist with a suitable response or advise to the patronising reply I've just received from LR in relation to the ongoing saga that many of you have already encountered? Oil in the servo.

The brakes failed on our 56 plate Discovery 3, when a car pulled out from a side road directly in front of my wife and two little ones. She narrowly missed the other car and it was only the fact that was able to move onto the opposite side of the road that a collision was avoided.

(Please see response below from LR): How magnanimous of Mr Lynch from LR Customer Experience, though I doubt he does understand how we must feel having been faced with this unexpected repair -

Personally it was the unexpected brake failure that caused the most concern and screams from my wife and a six and seven year old!

Before I wrote to LR I tried to find out what work was done and parts fitted at Stratstone Doncaster on recall PO17. The recall and work was done (or was it?!) in 2010 and before I owned the vehicle.

I couldn't find a more unhelpful bunch on the planet than the staff at Stratstones. All I wanted to know at that time was; if they'd a record of what work had been carried out and parts fitted?

They wouldn't give me any information and simply keep repeating that parts were guaranteed for 12 months and it was nothing to with them. They were immediately on the defensive even though I was simply trying to establish what work had been carried out by them.

As I had no luck I wrote to LR - No joy from LR either, due to... of course it had to be.... data protection!

Mr Lynch tells me: "Land Rover is a responsible and supportive manufacturer and will consider goodwill gestures towards repairs costs. Such support however is not without limitation and is subject to criteria".

I'll bet Mr Lynch's boss won't like him writing the above.

Never mind he redeemed himself to his bosses by adding: "Having said the above, I would advised that regrettably, we are not in a position to assist with the cost of the current repairs needed to your vehicle". I guess I expected that one.....

This is the response from LR Customer Experience.

Thank you for your email dated 10th July. I am sorry to learn of the issue you have experienced recently with your Land Rover and I understand how you must feel having been faced with this unexpected repair.

I would confirm that P017 has previously been carried out on your vehicle. However, due to the restrictions placed on us by the General Data Protection regulations, I am unable to confirm when and where this was carried out.

Land Rover is a responsible and supportive manufacturer and will consider goodwill gestures towards repairs costs. Such support however is not without limitation and is subject to criteria.

Having said the above, I would advised that regrettably, we are not in a position to assist with the cost of the current repairs needed to your vehicle.

I am sorry I am unable to respond more positively to your enquiry. Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Neil Lynch
Customer Experience Support Advisor
Customer Experience Centre
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
T: (+44) 01926 691958

Currently the Disco is laid up and quite rightly not being used. In any case my wife won't get in it!

My concerns are that even if the recall work was carried by Stratsones in Doncaster in 2010 and regardless of the time that has passed since that date, the repair clearly hasn't worked and the vehicle is still suffering from the same problems that the recall was supposed to have fixed. In essence I do not know what work Stratstones actually carried out at that time.

The subsequent recall and replacement parts fitted (or not fitted) to my vehicle has not rectified a very series and dangerous (potentially fatal) issue.

I asked LR investigate my concerns further as a matter of urgency, as it could affect many more vehicles who's owners believe the work has been carried out and there's is no suspicion that the brakes could fail again. By the look of it they won't be doing anything urgently on this complaint!

Any help would be very much appreciated on how to approach this or whether its a trip to Green Oval....

Many thanks.
 Discovery 3
L322 Vogue
Defender 90 - 1993
David Brown 885
All Gone: Range Rover Classic 2 Door - 1978/Land Rover Series IIA - 1964/Land Rover 90 - 1987/Land Rover Series III - Air Portable - 1979 

Post #196399416th Jul 2018 12:30 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If you wanted any response from LR your wife and little ‘uns needed to have ploughed into the other car, then that might have gotten VOSA’s attention who might then have rattled JLR’s cage. Without that they are not interested. Thumbs Up

Post #196400116th Jul 2018 12:49 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

As DSL says a phone call to vosa may help you and if anyone else has the problem Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #196400416th Jul 2018 12:54 pm
1JBS

United Kingdom 

Same issue reported on RR Sport
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic50733.html?highlight=servo

Post #196400616th Jul 2018 12:56 pm
ILC

I know, it's unbelievable that to actually get someone to do something or take note. You have to actually complete the cycle of death and destruction. Personally I'm happy she avoided an accident.

I reminds me of a mate of mine who hit the back of a car in stationary traffic on the M-62 number of years ago - Result: No prosecution, no fine or sanctions and put down to 'A momentary lack of attention' by the police officer who attended.

On the other hand another pal of ours got whacked with a massive fine and points for tail gating on the same stretch during a road safety campaign.

You could argue the latter was a better driver as he avoided any collision!
 Discovery 3
L322 Vogue
Defender 90 - 1993
David Brown 885
All Gone: Range Rover Classic 2 Door - 1978/Land Rover Series IIA - 1964/Land Rover 90 - 1987/Land Rover Series III - Air Portable - 1979 

Post #196400916th Jul 2018 1:02 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about your trouble Shocked

Having read a bunch of LTBs for my vehicle just to understand it better, I will part with a quote for JLR which neatly summarizes your problem:

“Cost is never a factor in Land Rover's decisions to recall vehicles.”

... right.

Post #196401016th Jul 2018 1:06 pm
ILC

I like that!

“Cost is never a factor in Land Rover's decisions to recall vehicles.”

I'm just putting together a response to LR and plagiarising the link 1JBS sent from RRS.

I''ll use this as well... Thanks all.
 Discovery 3
L322 Vogue
Defender 90 - 1993
David Brown 885

Post #196401716th Jul 2018 1:24 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

See the PDF bulletin in this thread https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/p017-oil-se...73324.html, it’s the answer to frequently asked question #11 ... Whistle

Post #196402016th Jul 2018 1:29 pm
ILC

Got it thanks..... Email winging its way to LR. Followed by the statutory three working days wait before they can be bothered replying!
 Discovery 3
L322 Vogue
Defender 90 - 1993
David Brown 885

Post #196407016th Jul 2018 4:04 pm
BAZ8046

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear of your issues.
Having had this issue on my D3 I know it can be a scary experience.
If I was in your position I would have LR repair the car and then put a claim through the courts.
I like to hear them explain to a judge why they don’t think they are responsible for the cost.
Money claim on line is really easy to use and works well.
 D4 2016 Landmark, Waitomo Grey.
D3 2005 HSE, Bonatti Grey, now sold but still comes back for servicing.
Defender 2002 Td5 Commercial, had a hard life but slowly being restored.
I only work so I can afford to repair my Land Rovers! 

Post #196412316th Jul 2018 5:29 pm
ILC

Hi Baz,

Sorry I'm in rant mode! LOL

How did you get on with yours, did LR assist at all?

I really need the motor on the road and can't have it parked up indefinitely whilst LR contemplate their navels!

I've been pretty lucky (touch wood!) with my D3 so far -That's the kiss of death. Other than costs you'd expect, cam belt at 105k miles and a clutch, plus the regular xy problem and no reversing lights that's all I've had to have done.

It's probably the best vehicle I've owned for practicality and comfort and I wouldn't know what to swop it for. I've had it nearly 8 years and its done 120k - I've done 70k of that and I'd miss it!

I did have a new LR 90 Turbo Diesel bought new in 1998 and that had 4 short motors and two new engines, before LR bought it back off me to prevent a civil case. Considering I've still three LR models, have owned them 30 years and the family longer than that, I must have sucker on my head to keep supporting them.

I can see me having to get it repaired and try to claim something from LR retrospectively, possibly, via the courts. Do a sort of forensic breakdown of the repair with photographs and keep all the parts....

Who am I kidding, but I'm luckier than a lot on here....

Cheers
 Discovery 3
L322 Vogue
Defender 90 - 1993
David Brown 885

Post #196413616th Jul 2018 5:52 pm
jeeptj

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've wrote two emails over the last two weeks to the service manager at a main dealer in Newcastle without acknowledgement from him, he is either on holiday and not put an out of office on which isn't very professional or he is just ignoring me which isn't very nice. I pulled almost 90ml of oil out of my servo last week.

Post #196428917th Jul 2018 5:00 am
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I fail to see what GDPR has to do with anything here?

Post #196429117th Jul 2018 6:00 am
ILC

Hi and thanks for the message. Sorry to hear you're in the same boat as me! Fortunately no accident for my wife and wee ones. But it scared the hell out of them!

I've just sent another email directly to LR, with all the key words about danger, duty of care, etc etc. I'll let you know the reply.

I also asked them to escalate my concerns to senior management and the safety recall group (if they have such a thing) on serious safety grounds.

I also find it infuriating that its a general email address with the generic reply: "We'll get back to you in three working days". I don't see why they can't allocate my email to one person to deal with and supply a direct email address. More delays and the Disco off the road longer!

I'll probably end up having to get it sorted myself as I can't be without it. I think that's what they rely on and then weakening any future claim as nothing can be proved unless LR do it.

I'll send it my usual independent dealer and chronicle the removal and investigation with photos and keep the parts.

Judging from most experiences of members on here, LR will do 'jack' and hope I go away. Well I'm not going to...
 Discovery 3
L322 Vogue
Defender 90 - 1993
David Brown 885

Post #196429517th Jul 2018 6:21 am
ILC

I agree on the GDPR point. It's not an issue as I see it.

If they no longer have the record that is one thing, however, if they do have the record it should be possible to tell me when and where a repair took place and what work was carried out. That's of course unless there is a transfer of personal data, which they could redact.

The fact is LR do have a record and Mr Lynch has ignored or not realised that I gave him the information on where the PO17 recall was done (or not done properly).

It was at Stratstones Doncaster in 2010. I obtained that from my local LR dealer after some discussions. They presumably got it from the LR data base.

They wouldn't assist further and suggested contacting Stratstones who'd done the work in 2010, but as discussed, Stratones were hopeless in wanting to assist!

The information my local dealer gave to me doesn't tell me what work was done, or who owned the vehicle at the time.

I know who owned the vehicle at the time as I have the V5 with previous keepers details and name and address. In any case for a small fee to the DVLA (or whatever they are now) as the current registered keeper, I could obtain all the vehicles owner history from first registration. I know as I've done that with my old defender.

I'm going to ask them if it is possible to give the material information without disclosing personal data and ask them confirm why a disclosure would be in breach of GDPR, as I don't think it is...
 Discovery 3
L322 Vogue
Defender 90 - 1993
David Brown 885

Post #196430017th Jul 2018 6:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >