Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Oil Spec Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Oil changes, particularly for most diesels, is like voting in Chicago (my home town) do it early and often. You're engine is probably not even fully broken in yet and if you have used 100% synthetic always the steel innards will be as smooth as a baby's backside. I'm in the oil business (worked earlier on synthetic lubes from natural gas) and have used synthetic oil for over 30 years on cars, even back in the day of leaded fuels. The new synthetics are almost impossible to make coke up and with modern low Sulphur diesel fuels, don't build up acids. Older mineral oils did coke up and get damaged from acid, which leads to surface corrosion which leads to high metal wear rates and hence to the need for more viscous oils. Until or unless an engine starts burning a fair amout of oil (not leaking but being combusted in the cylinders) and then needs thicker oil to survive a bit longer, it's much safer to keep using the exact oil it was designed for.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is, "If the engine runs on a computer, use specification oil forever, if it runs purely on mechanicals, then eventually it might need thicker, more viscous oil".
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #60192212th Feb 2010 3:18 am
gtrhaggart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I know what you mean blue_manc but even low mileage should be done in comfort. 2 trips to Ireland a year needs something good to travel in.

Tow cars in regular with d3 so it does work hard as well.

Post #60239812th Feb 2010 7:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cold_n_wet

Norway 

I am getting help to do the service on Tuesday, and I need to get the oil in, I didnt think to look in the service book for the oil spec so a quick search on here and I find this thread.

I can't get castrol Edge over here so the local supplier is recomending

Valvoline Durablend FE SAE5W30 its spec is ACEA A1/B1 & API SJ/CF.

But its a semi synthetic, should I use valvoline Synpower which is fully synthetic ?

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #60635919th Feb 2010 4:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >