DISCO4.COM > General

Oil Warning Light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Oil Warning Light

Hi Guys
Looking for your collective wisdom. I recently had my car serviced (15000 miles) after 11 months along with the 'enhancement' program.. It now seems to me that the oil pressure warning light is taking longer to extinguish than previously, particularly when starting from cold in the morning - typically about 3-4 seconds, along with some extra noise until the light goes out. I have also noticed that when hot it doesn't extinguish immediately on firing up. I have seen this before on a couple of previous cars I have owned over the years, and replacing the oil filter fixed it - in other words a fauly filter (not retaining the oil via a non-return valve). So anyone have any experience of this? Am I worrying unduly? Did it always behave like that and I am being paranoid? What does yours do?
I have it booked in to my dealer for tomorrow evening (Tuesday) so I suppose they will start it up from cold on Wednesday morning but my fear is they will say 'they all do that sir'. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Post #6954110th Jul 2006 8:41 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've seen this post my last complete all points upgrade a few months ago.

Not saying yours is not faulty but I do remember thinking the same thing re the oil light.

Would get it checked though.

-s

Post #6954210th Jul 2006 8:47 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is the same, sometimes get an extra bong after turning the key in the morning. Mine was serviced 2000 miles ago.

Post #6954410th Jul 2006 9:14 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In my experience the oil light is no sure indicator of anything.....ever heard of the cars running on oil vapour for miles and you guessed it no oil warning light. First thing to get checked & maybe even changed is the sensor itself as these are often the culprits, keep an eye on your oil level though until this issue is rectified.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #6954510th Jul 2006 9:16 pm
ferrett

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

When starting I wait for the bong before turning the engine, no throttle just foot on the clutch (used to own a Chrysler Voyager and that would not start unless you depressed the clutch).

Once the engine has caught it is one to two seconds before the oil light goes out. The handbook did warn not to rev the engine until the oil light goes out.
 2012 D4 - SDV6 XS - Firenze Red  
Post #6955410th Jul 2006 10:16 pm
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Guys
I too wait for the first 'bong' before firing up the engine. The extra noise i describe is from the engine - in the old days it would be the bottom end bearings rattleing until the oil pressure builds up - it is definitely not the diesel knock!

Post #6955710th Jul 2006 10:33 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

This was the first issue I reported at the dealer and again at the 15k service. They had car in day before and checked it, said they also tested pressure and all was OK. Cant say I am convinced, but I do always wait for first chime before starting engine, in winter on cold morning I will get a second chime, which I assume is oil pressure warning as it only chimes if the oil warning light has not gone out. Usually takes 3-4 seconds, but seems a lot longer. Will be interested to see any more posting as those of us in northern hemisphere enter winter.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #821642nd Sep 2006 6:52 pm
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Is the second bong the low temperature warning? I guess it will be a few weeks before you can confirm.

Post #821682nd Sep 2006 7:30 pm
simon

below 4 degrees its the low temp warning... if you had an oil pressure warning you'd get lights on the dash too as well as message in message centre (if there is one). If the engine is cold I would imagine a few secs of oil light before it goes off is normal before you start up.

If its on when the engine starts I would worry !

-s

Post #821752nd Sep 2006 8:24 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I am pretty sure that I do wait, in the winter, for the low temp warning bong as well as the system check bong, just to make sure it is not the temp one that I am worrying about. I will have to wait a couple more months to check again. Hopefully, "two bongs will make a right!".
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #822273rd Sep 2006 7:48 am
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter - In my day, two bongs would ALWAYS make it right Exclamation
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #822323rd Sep 2006 8:05 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This issue is concerning me now. Mine is taking 3 - 4 seconds to put the light out on a cold start, 1 -2 seconds on a hot start.

On the cold start, I wait for the system check OK bong, then turn the key. The engine catches immediately. After @3 seconds there is a second bong (light still on) then the light goes out about 1 second later.

There is a 'flapping' sort of sound from the engine during this process. I can't think of a better description, but can only think it is the timing belts which are possibly tensioned by oil pressure. I am sure its not bearing knock.

It seems to be getting longer to put the light out, and has only done it since last service 7500 miles ago.

I always keep the oil topped up.

I am going to do a mid term filter and oil change this week. I will report the difference.

Post #822553rd Sep 2006 10:28 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I wonder if it's to do with the type of oil used?

When I start mine when cold it catches, seems to run slowly (low rpm) for a second, and then runs at idle speed. This has only happened since I got the last service & enhancement done on it. Is this normal? It seems to take around 2 seconds for the oil warning light to go out, though no second bongs.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #822583rd Sep 2006 10:40 am
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I’m glad this subject is being discussed as I have noticed, and worried about the oil light taking longer to go out when the engine is cold.
As suggested this is post the “enhancement”.

It can’t be the oil as I had the upgrade done without a service. It goes out much quicker when the engine is warm as you would expect with the galleries primed, which suggests the delay is real rather that a software generated delay.

What I also immediately noticed was that the start characteristic had changed from a smooth pick up to a two-stage pick up. By this I mean that it fires, takes a slight hick-up and then picks up smoothly. All this is as if the fuelling regime, timing and/or pulse schedules are being changed, which is most probably the case. I have even had my first failure to start; a couple of cylinders or so firing and then the engine dying. Restarted okay, but its never done that before. This is suggesting to me that the new routine has advance the cold start more than it was and it ties in with the perceived clatter others have noted. As the engine is common rail the injection timing can virtually instantly be changed. The injectors are piezoelectrically actuated, their rapid response enabling multi swirts per injection.
I sense that this might be an area the enhancement has addressed and altered the way it cold starts.
Still does not account for the lingering oil light but as we all seem to be getting it post enhancement, despite varying mileages, I doubt if it heralds shot bearings or oil pump and we can feel a bit easier.

Post #822853rd Sep 2006 3:36 pm
simon

Great description Smile I almost understood all of it.

I'll check mine in the morning (if I remember) and see what behaviour the oil light has.

-s

Post #822883rd Sep 2006 3:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >